Helicopter build advices

Florent François

Hi!

I just started my first helo kit, a mister craft ab-212, let's be honest, I don't know if it's the mould or the plastic but the start has been rough. So rough that I already put it on hold, I'll wait to have more experience with rotorcraft before touching it again... Plastic is immensely brittle, and every part has a bigger links to the sprue than between the different components of a single part, I guess you can guess where this is going...

So here I am, I'm now looking for advice to what are the nice helicopter kits you'd recommend? I'm interested by anything really, been eyeing the Hasegawa UH-60J, seems that it'd be a cool CSAR helo build, and the kit seems amazing, altho pricey. I've been looking into reviews of Kiowas, Super Pumas/Cougars, NH90 etc aswell. I just don't really want to do an attack helicopter (apart if the kit is great with a nice fit and cool roundels).

Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

Clearly a Sea King ...preferably a RN version and preferably green😁🌴🌴

Try Airfix 

Haven't thought of a Sea King, but now that you say it, their kit seems to be really nice and well praised, loved their vamp!

Altho if decide on one, I'll definitely opt for the HAR.3/Mk.43 one and do a rescue one ;)

2 hours ago, junglierating said:

Clearly a Sea King ...preferably a RN version and preferably green😁🌴🌴

Try Airfix 

Definitely green. It's the only colour for a Sea King. ! !  Anything else is sooo wrong in so many levels

MM 

Edited by missile-monkey
Fat Fingers little keyboard
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Florent François said:

Haven't thought of a Sea King, but now that you say it, their kit seems to be really nice and well praised, loved their vamp!

Altho if decide on one, I'll definitely opt for the HAR.3/Mk.43 one and do a rescue one ;)

Better make it a noggy one not one of RIF RAF flying custards🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Well...…

spacer.png

If you are new to helis and modelling, I'd seriously recommend a Hobbyboss kit -  I've found they go together easily and are not too fiddly. The Hind I especially liked.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hook said:

All Mister Craft kits are rough copies of other brands' molds AFAIK

It's not the highest quality available...

Cheers,

Andre

Yeah I wish I did a tad more research, it was cheap and now I understand why...

9 hours ago, Doom3r said:

If you want to go for a cargo helo you should go for a true cargo helo: Mi-26. Zvezda have it in 72 scale.

Heard great things about Zvezda ktis but that one poses another issue: available space haha!

1 hour ago, JagRigger said:

Well...…

If you are new to helis and modelling, I'd seriously recommend a Hobbyboss kit -  I've found they go together easily and are not too fiddly. The Hind I especially liked.

Damn that is a nice collection! I saw some hobbyboss kits that are quite cheap, It's good to know!

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

Italeri's helicopter kits are generally very nice - their Bell 212 is far, far superior to the MisterCraft (Aero Plast) one...

....and it was also issued by Revell - as was Italeri's Bell 412. There are boxings with different decals by both brands,..

....but the Sea King, is, of course, the helo to do if you want an iconic Search and Rescue aircraft...

....although if you like the look of the UH-60J, there's always the Italeri USCG HH-60J Jayhawk...

As I couldn't track the origins of the mistercraft 212 on scalesmate I thought it might be either a brand new mould or a simple new rebox of the italeri.

Yeah I'm definitely sold on the Sea King, it's really tempting an got great reviews.

Thank you very much for your replies everyone, that's great inputs and very appreciated!

1 hour ago, Florent François said:

Heard great things about Zvezda ktis but that one poses another issue: available space haha!

Well... there is one in a 144 scale from Eastern Express.

3 hours ago, JagRigger said:

If you are new to helis and modelling, I'd seriously recommend a Hobbyboss kit -  I've found they go together easily and are not too fiddly.

From my experience they are hit or miss (and usually have a horrible interior). For example UH-60 is twice expensive than Hasegawa and in my opinion is twice worse (no interior wall details, seats are just a parody of the real thing, no instrument panel details(not even decals), crude cyclist and pedals with no collective, barebone minimum of the exterrior details). In addition to that it is quite rare to see a kit from HobbyBoss/Trumpeter in 72 scale where they wouldn't screw up on the research side: wrong tail numbers for a famous birds, typos and abracadabra in stencil data, etc (the most harmless I've seen was UH-1B medivac with grenade launcher and rocket pods).

3 hours ago, Doom3r said:

Well... there is one in a 144 scale from Eastern Express.

From my experience they are hit or miss (and usually have a horrible interior). For example UH-60 is twice expensive than Hasegawa and in my opinion is twice worse (no interior wall details, seats are just a parody of the real thing, no instrument panel details(not even decals), crude cyclist and pedals with no collective, barebone minimum of the exterrior details). In addition to that it is quite rare to see a kit from HobbyBoss/Trumpeter in 72 scale where they wouldn't screw up on the research side: wrong tail numbers for a famous birds, typos and abracadabra in stencil data, etc (the most harmless I've seen was UH-1B medivac with grenade launcher and rocket pods).

Not really that tempted by a mi-26 tho haha.

Yeah that's a few things I've heard, people comparing their quite bad uh-60a to the well praised hh-60 and other seahawks. Inconsistency is what I've seen.

You don’t mention scale, so you might be wedded to 1/72.  If not, then the Airfix 1/48 Lynx is a nice kit, and some of the modern Kitty Hawk helos are good, too - the UH-1, for instance.

[All this ridiculous discussion about whether a true Sea King is yellow or green, when it is clearly neither.  Around 90% of them were RAF Blue Grey, then just Grey... though I’ll allow you a grey and red RN SAR version.  

After all, a few Spitfires were pink, but no-one would seriously claim that pink is the only proper colour for a Spit.  The Sea King was an anti-submarine helicopter; all other versions were merely after-thoughts - that’s why even the green or yellow ones had a plated over sonar well...]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1