This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Air Hockey Propellers

OCD with 1/72 Sea Stallion

Hello everyone,

Between Italeri's and Fujimi's 1/72 offerings, I rather Fujimi because the clear parts are far more realistic. However, I have a problem with the upper sides of the fuselage since they seem to be too boxy on the model. I'm not imagining this, right?  I mean, has anybody ever noticed this before? If so, has anybody attempted to make modifications? I have seen modelers obsess over far less noticeable fuselage shape errors on other aircraft so I guess my question is not too farfetched.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Images taken from the internet.

I can't comment on whether the Fujimi and/or Italeri kits suffer from shape issues at the 'shoulders', but whole-heartedly agree with the consensus in the above-linked thread (and others) that the old Airfix kit is the best of the three - and contrary to a remark in one post, the plastic in both Airfix boxings (CH- and HH-53) is identical....

I've never looked at any other kit of the beast but I do concur that Airfix's kit looks exactly right to me

I pored long hours over the kit and many photographs and drawings, it looks right and I was very happy with the finished project

Going back a lot of years here, but I think the dog house on the Fujimi dog house is several mm’s too shallow.  Like a scale foot or so.

17 hours ago, perdu said:

I've never looked at any other kit of the beast but I do concur that Airfix's kit looks exactly right to me

I pored long hours over the kit and many photographs and drawings, it looks right and I was very happy with the finished project

Thanks for the tip. It's amazing how just a slightly softer curve can make such a difference to the discerning eye. I also liked the rivets on the fuselage instead of the recessed panel lines. Too bad Airfix doesn't produce them anymore, but better getting one second hand than somehow modifying a Fujimi until it looks right.

6 hours ago, Jordi said:

Going back a lot of years here, but I think the dog house on the Fujimi dog house is several mm’s too shallow.  Like a scale foot or so.

Hello, pardon my ignorance but what's the dog house? 

Thanks to you both for your replies.

1 hour ago, Air Hockey Propellers said:

Hello, pardon my ignorance but what's the dog house? 

The dog house is the big lump on top of the fuselage on which the main rotors are mounted.