OCD with 1/72 Sea Stallion

Hello everyone,

Between Italeri's and Fujimi's 1/72 offerings, I rather Fujimi because the clear parts are far more realistic. However, I have a problem with the upper sides of the fuselage since they seem to be too boxy on the model. I'm not imagining this, right?  I mean, has anybody ever noticed this before? If so, has anybody attempted to make modifications? I have seen modelers obsess over far less noticeable fuselage shape errors on other aircraft so I guess my question is not too farfetched.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Images taken from the internet.

• Like 1

I've never looked at any other kit of the beast but I do concur that Airfix's kit looks exactly right to me

I pored long hours over the kit and many photographs and drawings, it looks right and I was very happy with the finished project

• Like 1

17 hours ago, perdu said:

I've never looked at any other kit of the beast but I do concur that Airfix's kit looks exactly right to me

I pored long hours over the kit and many photographs and drawings, it looks right and I was very happy with the finished project

Thanks for the tip. It's amazing how just a slightly softer curve can make such a difference to the discerning eye. I also liked the rivets on the fuselage instead of the recessed panel lines. Too bad Airfix doesn't produce them anymore, but better getting one second hand than somehow modifying a Fujimi until it looks right.

6 hours ago, Jordi said:

Going back a lot of years here, but I think the dog house on the Fujimi dog house is several mm’s too shallow.  Like a scale foot or so.

Hello, pardon my ignorance but what's the dog house? 

Thanks to you both for your replies.

1 hour ago, Air Hockey Propellers said:

Hello, pardon my ignorance but what's the dog house? 

The dog house is the big lump on top of the fuselage on which the main rotors are mounted.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Guys, I found the Airfix one on a local auction site. The upper corners look less boxy than the Fujimi but the difference is so subtle I wish I had the Fujimi kit to compare them.

spacer.png

I want to fold the blades and there seem to be just two aftermarket parts for that. I'd like to use the detail set that only includes hinges because I'll also use them on a USAF HH-3. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/df-helo-stuff-df80672-rotor-folds-h-3-ch-53-mh-53e--977325

Is there a topic covering this already here or anywhere else to any of your knowledge??? I'd love to see the instructions for the afromentioned detail set...

And these HH USAF helis did have folding rotor blades in real life, right?

I'll chime in and add my vote for the Airfix kit.  I just like the detail and shapes of it.  

Building (Yeah, sure you are, Glynn!) mine as an Israeli Ya'sur with the beautiful Wingman conversion set so I'll have to modify the kit and/or some of the parts to fit correctly.

All-in-all, it was a pretty good kit for it's day, as time has proven!

Cheers,

Glynn "WARDOG" Jacobs

On 1/28/2020 at 5:54 AM, Air Hockey Propellers said:

During my two years stationed at RAF Woodbridge (March 75 - March 77) where the 67 ARRS and their HH-53s hung out, I NEVER saw any folded blades.  Maybe they did have them, maybe not, but I never saw them at Woodbridge with folded blades.

Later,

Dave

Edited by e8n2
Added dates for being at RAF Woodbridge.

23 hours ago, Air Hockey Propellers said:

I want to fold the blades and there seem to be just two aftermarket parts for that. I'd like to use the detail set that only includes hinges because I'll also use them on a USAF HH-3. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/df-helo-stuff-df80672-rotor-folds-h-3-ch-53-mh-53e--977325

Is there a topic covering this already here or anywhere else to any of your knowledge??? I'd love to see the instructions for the afromentioned detail set...

The later Special Ops MH-53 Pave Low III fleet certainly did, to enable deployment on carriers, as evidenced here:

spacer.png

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Robert said:

Hi, Reskit from the Ukraine does some stuff for the Sea Stallion family and l think they are doing a rotor head as well in the future https://reskit.com.ua/index.php?route=product/search&search=H-53future

Regards

Robert

It's already available, and the blade root placement shows it is for the folded position:

https://reskit.com.ua/index.php?route=product/product&search=H-53&page=2&product_id=469