Fujimi F-86F-30 (Long Wing) Latin Style 1/72 (added my slat droop solution)

Hi all,

Finally, I have the next one wheeled out of the paint shop. I had some delay because the white star decals I needed went out-of-stock.

She is an F-86F-30 with the -40 wing, as supplied to Venezuela from US stocks in the late 1950s. You will have seen an earlier iteration of this machine when I built her around five years. I chose to build her again as I like the markings.  These markings are of the earlier type, i.e. without the “wings” on the roundels. These gradually changed from 1958 following the January 1958 attempted Military coup. She is “8C36” in the older serial system, indicating the 8th aircraft of “C” Flight and is seen here (below) while awaiting delivery from McClellan AFB. The aircraft, like all the FAV Sabres, was assigned to Escuadron de Caza No. 36, Fuerza Aerea Venezolana, known as “Los Diablos”. The Venezuelans ordered 22 Sabres from the US in 1955. Some eventually went on to Bolivia to be the last operational Sabres anywhere in the world.

North_American_F-86K

The kit is the Fujimi which, in my view, is the best F-86F available in the scale despite being long in the tooth now. It has some drawbacks, not least of which is the fact that the wing doesn’t have the separate Leading Edge flaps. As you can see, I cut these and built my own. I’ve chosen to load her up with tanks too, appropriately, as shown in the image below. Apart from the seat, the inner tanks and the decals there are no another aftermarket extras on her.

So, what did I do/use?. Well:

1.       Kit – Fujimi F-86F-40 1/72. I removed the starboard inlet behind the wing which was a feature of the -40, rather than the -30.

2.       Aftermarket – Pavla seat, Red Roo tanks

3.       Decals – Aztec Juicy Jugs set for the roundels, Detail Decals (US-109) 1mm white stars, home-printed the serials etc, and the rest were from the kit.

4.       Paints – overall Humbrol Metalcote Polished Aluminium (27002), with some 27003 Steel added to vary panels. Others paints used were: Humbrol Insignia Yellow, Insignia Red, Matt Black, Aircraft Grey (140), Light Grey (147), Colourcoats Insignia Blue. Finished with Humbrol Satincote.

5.       Washes and Weathering – a mixture of Humbrol Dark Grey wash, Flory Dark Dirt, Tamiya Weathering powders. Prismacolor silver pencil for scratches etc around the canopy. 

Here she is. A few mistakes along the way but I hope you like her:

FAV7

FAV11

FAV10

FAV8

FAV9

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
replaced images after adding gunsight and moving airbrakes
  • Like 64

Absolutely brilliant..  

A small point is the lack of droop on the air brakes.

Was your metalcote from an aerosol spray ? .   I tried 27002  a while back from a tin, brush painted, and could not get it to polish. 

1 hour ago, Doc72 said:

Looks great! Adding the extended leading edge slats was definitely worth it. And nice to see a non-Korean War Sabre.

Thanks my friend. I agree, a change from stars and bars, or even the British cockade, is a plus for me.

1 hour ago, Unfinished project said:

Superb Sabre, absolutely beautiful finish

Thanks. I had some issues but she turned out okay. 

2 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Really Great looking Sabre. The panel wash is spot on...not that easy on a silver finish 👍

Thank you. It was getting right balance of "used" machine versus a clean NMF finish.

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Very nice indeed Martin. The Venezuelan finish looks rather neat and really suits the F-86.

Excellent job

Terry

Thank you, Terry. I agree, that scheme is very attractive (to me). I was pleased how the fin stripes came out as I airbrushed them.

2 hours ago, twinpin said:

Absolutely brilliant..  

A small point is the lack of droop on the air brakes.

Was your metalcote from an aerosol spray ? .   I tried 27002  a while back from a tin, brush painted, and could not get it to polish. 

Thanks a lot. No, the 27002 was from a tin and airbrushed. I warm the tin a little at the outset in warm water and thin it well after a thorough mix. Yes, I realise the air brake droop isn't correct now. A correction job in the coming days ;). 

3 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Superb!  Looks great in those markings and I am very impressed with the quality of finish you obtained with those Humbrol Metalcote paints

Thank you, mate. I like Metalcote 27002 and 27003. They mix well and go on very evenly. They may not be Alclad but they suit me :)

6 hours ago, billn53 said:

Very nice! 👍

Thanks, Bill :)

7 hours ago, petetasker said:

Lovely work - the F86 really was a lovely looking aeroplane.

Thanks, Pete. Yes, she had her appeal didn't she :)

7 hours ago, replicant said:

Beautiful Martin!

This little Sabre with roundels does fuji me!

Cheers,

Tom

Thank you, Tom. I like her and those roundels too!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Martin,

You've done it again! Beautiful finish and choice of colors and markings. You did a great job cutting the kit wings and fitting the slats, which really adds to the character of a Sabre, along with extended speed brakes. Fitting four tanks is also not often seen on Sabre builds. Very appropriate panel tones and highlighting, too. (Sorry I couldn't open your attachment on this one- will explain via pm,) Keep 'em coming, my friend! 👍

Mike

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Matthew1974 said:

The Venezuelan markings really make this Sabre stand out and look beautiful on it.  Well done!

Thanks Matthew

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Martin,

You've done it again! Beautiful finish and choice of colors and markings. You did a great job cutting the kit wings and fitting the slats, which really adds to the character of a Sabre, along with extended speed brakes. Fitting four tanks is also not often seen on Sabre builds. Very appropriate panel tones and highlighting, too. (Sorry I couldn't open your attachment on this one- will explain via pm,) Keep 'em coming, my friend! 👍

Mike

Thanks as always, Mike. Your energetic and enthusiast reviews are always an inspiration.

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent work on the Sabre. :yahoo:... They do have some colorful markings and stand out because of that. 

Thanks Dennis. Like Mike and the rest of the gang on BM your comments mean a lot to me.

Martin

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Yep- you nailed the speedbrakes, Martin!

Mike

Thanks again Mike. To be honest I got impatient and just slapped them on first time round without thinking.

17 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nice Sabre there Martin and love the scheme you chose

Thanks Russ. I love the unusual and offbeat.  I also like a little Grubbiness (is that a word?)

16 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Smart as a smart thing! Good job!!! 👍👍👍👍👍👍

Naturally I value your thoughts, SJ :). Thanks.

15 hours ago, mdauben said:

A really nicely done model in a lovely color scheme.

Thanks mate

15 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Lovely job indeed and very nicely finished! It's always nice to see aircraft in markings that are different from the usual!

Miguel

Thanks Miguel. I agree. As most will have seen over he years, I like to be different and dont follow trends ;).

Martin

Hi Stuart @Courageous,

It was simply a pack I bought through the global auction site. It is called "MDP". I've used it a few times now. It works okay. Compared to the specific modellers sheets it is good and cheaper. :).

thanks for your comments. I know you're a Sabre luvver!

M

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Thanks 1