John's & other Bucc info here

canberra kid

8 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

No need to apologise John, I (and I suspect quite a few other members) have been squirrelling away a comprehensive reference file on the brick courtesy of your efforts, much appreciated so no rush.

Thanks Dave, photo fixed!

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My Bucc kits arrived today, kept it down to just the two.  Agree with everyone that has posted how it looks good, just have to finish off things that are on the go before I start yet another kit. :nono:

• Like 1

These illustrations take me back. It was how we learned about the Aircraft we serviced back in the day.

They were extremely thorough and only wrong on the odd point of detail once in a blue moon.

Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

Thanks for those John, certainly brings back some memories.  Strange looking Martel missile, not quite an anti-radar head, but the launcher has the temperature control pack (TCP) fitted and the missile has the receptacle for the connecting tube, these were only used on the TV variant which was not at all pointy at the front.  The AR and TV Martel missiles were almost completely different internally, the only common components were the boost motor and the battery.  The boost motor fired to launch the Martel missile and accelerate it away from the aircraft while the Sea Eagle, having liquid jet fuel and a micro turbo-jet motor would be explosively released, the intake cover blown off and the motor would then fire up to sea sklm the missile to its target.  The Martel missiles in the old FROG kit are pretty inaccurate, lacking detail and with an extra connecting conduit on the underside (should only be one on each side) and none of the five rocket venturi on the rear surface, hopefully Airfix will make some accurate ones for their RAF version

2 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

You need a second avatar pic, may I be so bold as to suggest 'Father Christmas'

Canberra Claus?

Have to agree with the sentiment, these postings have been incredibly useful.

Mark.

• Haha 2

On a related topic, does anybody know whether those yellow stripes on the wing top surface just forward of the ailerons and flaps (RN aircraft only) are actually painted yellow, or are they yellow primer, or that greenish yellow fibreglass type colour? I worked at Brough during the late 60s / early 70s and made quite a few Buccaneer notes but this one has escaped me.

17 minutes ago, CT Modeller said:

On a related topic, does anybody know whether those yellow stripes on the wing top surface just forward of the ailerons and flaps (RN aircraft only) are actually painted yellow, or are they yellow primer, or that greenish yellow fibreglass type colour? I worked at Brough during the late 60s / early 70s and made quite a few Buccaneer notes but this one has escaped me.

I'm glad someone else isn't convinced they're yellow either. From John's earlier posted notes elsewhere, the painting notes seem to indicate they should be left unpainted. Having now revisited the many images in books and on my hard drive, I'm at the point where I think they might be left unfinished as per the external finishing instructions.

Mark.

PS, Chris please have a look here. I've a sneaking suspicion you'll soon have an answer to your query!

Edited by Harry Lime
Insert Link to colour notes

13 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

John @canberra kid, in light of CTModellers question elsewhere, any chance you can see if finishing notes 14-30 are lurking around somewhere please? I think they'll hold the answer to his question.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

Hi Mark

I'll scan the pages and sort the post out properly, in the meantime, in answer to the question details  O1, P1, Q1 and R1 indicate the area should not be painted.

John 

• Like 1