John's & other Bucc info here

canberra kid

On 10/5/2019 at 10:45 AM, Harry Lime said:

John,

Are there any pages that explain the numbered stencils/measurements/points of note from the top five diagrams?

Mark.

@Harry Lime Mark, you asked for it! 🙂 it does make for interesting reading though, well, I think it does.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

John

Edited by canberra kid
added missing page
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 8

11 hours ago, canberra kid said:

it does make for interesting reading though

John,

Completely agree with you there! And thanks for posting, much appreciated.

Mark.

PS, notes 1-13 are duplicated.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

My understanding is that 'Squirell Grey' was a non standard colour trialled by the Navy, and that the name might have only existed as part of a conversation.

I would love to know what it actually looked like.

Having tried to do a bit of research into this, the closest we could come was that it was likely to be Medium Sea Grey.

(Although an interesting aside is that one trade name for colour 18B21 from BS4800 is Squirrel Grey - and if that number sound familiar, it's the one that became Camouflage Grey in BS381C - aka 'Barley grey', but I don't think there is a connection, as BS4800 first appeared in 1972 BS2660 was the current then (and this wa sthe standard Light Aircraft Grey came from)). The true answer no doubt lies in an obscure Admiralty or RAE file somewhere.

Or if anyone nhas good colour photos of 809 Squadron at Farnborough in 1966...

Some aircraft that are said to have EDSG uppers and 'Squirrel' grey lowers may just have been overall EDSG aircraft with a thin coat of EDSG over the previous white underside

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The upper 2 pictures are of the early version of the type 6MSB seat. The para pack area of the seat structure has side walls to protect the cloth covered para pack. Similar in design to the type 4 seat in Lightnings etc. It also has taller canopy breakers, as MDC was not fitted then to pre break the canopy perspex. It only has the single loop face screen firing handle. The seat straps are for use with the separate body harness, as it has koch fasteners on the shoulder straps.  I think this is the seat that is represented in the new Airfix kit.

The lower 2 pictures are of the later seat, still a 6MSB. The para pack was now in a hard fibreglass shell, so the upper structure side walls were removed. It has the combined "simplified" harness and para pack (fitted after 1981/2) The canopy breakers were smaller and its the double loop face screen handle. The seat is actually the type 6MSB Mk 5 with the splayed thigh guards for rear cockpit use, so the nav could get his legs either side of the TV monitor for Martel and Pavespike operation.

Rob.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

The upper 2 pictures are of the early version of the type 6MSB seat. The para pack area of the seat structure has side walls to protect the cloth covered para pack. Similar in design to the type 4 seat in Lightnings etc. It also has taller canopy breakers, as MDC was not fitted then to pre break the canopy perspex. It only has the single loop face screen firing handle. The seat straps are for use with the separate body harness, as it has koch fasteners on the shoulder straps.  I think this is the seat that is represented in the new Airfix kit.

The lower 2 pictures are of the later seat, still a 6MSB. The para pack was now in a hard fibreglass shell, so the upper structure side walls were removed. It has the combined "simplified" harness and para pack (fitted after 1981/2) The canopy breakers were smaller and its the double loop face screen handle. The seat is actually the type 6MSB Mk 5 with the splayed thigh guards for rear cockpit use, so the nav could get his legs either side of the TV monitor for Martel and Pavespike operation.

Rob.

Thanks Rob, very informative.

John

Great reference material John, particularly the elusive wing fold assemblies.

Does the AP include a similar picture for the outboard wing section?

Bit of a personal hit this one, I was part of the 431MU work team that had to go through the job of taking the wings off a Bucc at RAF Laarbruch to ship it back to the UK for examination after the loss of the one on Red Flag where the wing broke away at very low level.... 😥

Thanks

XVTonker :pilot:

• Sad 1

Thank you too. The more we share these old manual drawings, the less they become rocking horse and therefore exorbitantly overpriced by the nerds who think they struck gold! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Hi John @xvtonker

Sad circumstances indeed, what was the cause can you remember? 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

John

From what I can remember it was identified as a structural failure due to fatigue cracking on the wingfold  locking pins.

• Thanks 1

With all these great Buccaneer drawings, excellent review models and general Bucc talk of late, how can Airfix not make a killing out of this kit.? This model has been on my 'to buy' list for quite a while and although I was going to wait until stock arrived in Australia, I couldn't help myself so have now ordered one direct from the UK (less VAT - price works out about the same). Thanks for all your efforts here John @canberra kid, just need to convince Airfix that there's an equally big market for a 'good' fishbowl Canberra in 1/72 scale as well!

Cheers and many thanks.. Dave    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1