Jump to content

All your Bucc questions


Don H.
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 10/01/2020 at 23:01, 71chally said:

@Seahawk, from memory yes the jet pipe nib fairings in the S.1 were smaller.

What I was getting at is that it would be great to see a modern tool conversion with more detail etc to specifically fit the new Airfix kit.

Definitely much smaller

When I built my pair of S1s I carved tons (OK lots) of plastic off the jet pipe fairings and even now looking at it I suspect I ought to have kept filing...

P1010788.jpg

 

A beautifully modelled new conversion set is being cried out for


Somebody

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

I'll have a word with my pet Blue Parrot, old Airpass III, and see what he reckons ;)

Not Speckled Jim!

 

Seriously, it would be great to see a new S.1 conversion, and maybe even a new recce crate.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Not Speckled Jim

Shhhh...we don't want Martian Hale to get wind of this, lord knows what can of worms will be overturned!

 

Totally agree James, a nice shiny S.1 would definitely be welcome (1/24th would be nice), and to think, there's one sitting pretty, not that far from Melchett Towers:coolio:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Colleagues, tell me such a moment. When did the MDC (miniature detonation cord) appear on Royal NAVY buccaneers S2 canopy ? In the variants that the new Airfix offers, should there be a MDC on canopy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking at other threads here it looks like MDC was gradually fitted from 1971, that puts the kits options right in the middle of the change.

 

One visual way of confirming MDC or not,

Non MDC had three large ejection seat style triangle markings on the port side, under the canopy.

MDC types had two large ejector seat triangle markings under the canopy, and a much smaller one applied to the canopy itself, directly below the centre arch, both sides of the aircraft.

 

I'm away from computer at the moment so can't link to references.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, vit79 said:

 Now i started to doubt whether to do MDC or not

If you use the kit options, then no MDC.  The explosive warning triangles are the confirmation.  

If you you choose to do a different option, use photographs as references, again the warning triangles are the key, and are usually more visible than the MDC itself.

The warning triangles would only change when the MDC was actually fitted.

 

Unless you can find tech records for the actual aircraft involved this is the only way to check if your subject is pre or most MDC Mod, as it would have taken time to fit the system across the fleet.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

If you use the kit options, then no MDC.  The explosive warning triangles are the confirmation.  

If you you choose to do a different option, use photographs as references, again the warning triangles are the key, and are usually more visible than the MDC itself.

The warning triangles would only change when the MDC was actually fitted.

 

Unless you can find tech records for the actual aircraft involved this is the only way to check if your subject is pre or most MDC Mod, as it would have taken time to fit the system across the fleet.

Thank you very much!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These lovely pictures by my good friend Chris England show what I mean,

 

No MDC;  port side, three large and equal sized ejection seat style markings.  The rear triangle is hard to see at some angles due to its position behind the engine inlet

Note, though it is '021-R' it is not XV154 January 1972 of the Airfix kit, but XT275 July 1972

17-180 Blackburn Buccaneer S2 XT275/R-021 Culdrose 26-7-72

Stb'd side, two large triangles only

Blackburn Buccaneer S2A XT275R-021 Yeovilton 8-7-72

Blackburn Buccaneer S2A XT270 St Mawgan 8-8-73

this S.1 shows the positions better,

Blackburn Buccaneer S1 XN954/LM-631 Culdrose 26-7-72

 

 

MDC fitted:  both sides, two large and equal size warning triangles, with one much smaller warning triangle on the canopy frame directly under the whiteish centre arch.

Blackburn Buccaneer S2 XN982 Yeovilton 3-9-77

RAF the same

Blackburn Buccaneer S2B XV341/D Alconbury 24-9-83

 

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to reinforce Challys post above. The third and foremost triangle on the port side showed the aircraft was fitted with the automatic underwater ejection system I believe. If you read the MDC modification spec sheet shown in previous posts you can see that this was removed once the MDC mod was fitted: Hence the third warning triangle was no longer needed. 

 

My thumbs up for a new S1 conversion too please :)

 

cheers

 

Jonners

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Just to reinforce Challys post above. The third and foremost triangle on the port side showed the aircraft was fitted with the automatic underwater ejection system I believe. If you read the MDC modification spec sheet shown in previous posts you can see that this was removed once the MDC mod was fitted: Hence the third warning triangle was no longer needed. 

 

Jonners

I don't think that's correct Jonners. 

The third triangle is also seen on early RAF Buccaneers which weren't fitted with underwater ejection (and of course RN jets retained that system but lost the third triangle), it referred to the canopy jettison system pre MDC.

My understanding is that the underwater escape system didn't merit its own warning marking as it was part of the seat system.

 

I wonder if @canberra kid AP shows the markings text?

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another request for ihelp , Does anyone have detailed pics/ diagrams  of the underfusalage Chaff Flare dispensers by the airbrake , I have the odd pic , but no clear details of the entire assembly , which is a pity as I'm in the process of scratchbuilding  it for my 32dn Buc

 

Thanks

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2020 at 1:19 PM, 71chally said:

I don't think that's correct Jonners. 

The third triangle is also seen on early RAF Buccaneers which weren't fitted with underwater ejection (and of course RN jets retained that system but lost the third triangle), it referred to the canopy jettison system pre MDC.

My understanding is that the underwater escape system didn't merit its own warning marking as it was part of the seat system.

 

I wonder if @canberra kid AP shows the markings text?

 

 

HI - sorry if I confused. My understanding was it was related. The mod sheet seems to imply the UES was removed when the  MDC was fitted and that RAF Buccs didnt need an underwater system anyway. So perhaps there is a changeover period while RAF ones were modified? I think we need an answer! LOL

cheers

Jonners

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2020 at 1:19 PM, 71chally said:

I don't think that's correct Jonners. 

The third triangle is also seen on early RAF Buccaneers which weren't fitted with underwater ejection (and of course RN jets retained that system but lost the third triangle), it referred to the canopy jettison system pre MDC.

My understanding is that the underwater escape system didn't merit its own warning marking as it was part of the seat system.

 

I wonder if @canberra kid AP shows the markings text?

 

 

Here you go James

s6kgzY.jpg

John

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, colin ritchie said:

Another request for ihelp , Does anyone have detailed pics/ diagrams  of the underfusalage Chaff Flare dispensers by the airbrake , I have the odd pic , but no clear details of the entire assembly , which is a pity as I'm in the process of scratchbuilding  it for my 32dn Buc

 

Thanks

 

 

Does this help Colin?

 

s6kCQ1.jpg

John

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...