All your Bucc questions

Don H.

Thanks for those John.

Really it's the warning triangles pre MDC that would be most handy.

Also, I think @colin ritchieis after details of the large single dispenser at the rear underside, but it does seem quite hard to find drawings of that.

There are some images on the net, but can't link right now.

The two you show are the ones where the mounting plates are molded into the surface of the new kit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, colin ritchie said:

Another request for ihelp , Does anyone have detailed pics/ diagrams  of the underfusalage Chaff Flare dispensers by the airbrake , I have the odd pic , but no clear details of the entire assembly , which is a pity as I'm in the process of scratchbuilding  it for my 32dn Buc

Thanks

Have a look in the walkaround section of BM, there are a few pics there.

spacer.png

The under nacelle AN/ALE 40 dispensers that canberra kid  shows were only installed on the 12 airframes used for Op Pulsator in 1983.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Jonners, you are right then, John's excellent info does show that it is for the underwater escape system.

It did subsequently occur to me that the canopy jettison warning was adjacent to the activation point.

This kind of begs the question why that triangle disappeared when the MDC arrived?

Surely the MDC complemented the UES on Navy Buccs?

Thanks again John, perfect.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, vit79 said:

If I understand correctly, the versions of the new Airfix kit use ejection seats  with  D pull handle?

I can't find the info for that mod, I suspect it would be covered in the seat AP? the best bet is try looking for contemporary photos

John  

• 8 months later...
On 30/09/2019 at 02:01, wadeocu said:

Oh and you will need the head light for the nose gear; that was an RAF modification.  Most difficult to deal with would be the MDC in the canopy.  I’m not sure if XT271 has one at this point or not.

Good catch!  I shall remove the headlight from my S.1 conversion while I did brave the removal of the MDC from the Airfix 1/48 canopy.

spacer.png

• 1 month later...

I’ve got a question for SAAF Buccaneer experts. Did the SAAF change scheme to overall Dark Sea Gray in later years?

There’s a photo of Buccaneer 416 in what looks like overall DSG on the web

TW

Edited by Tony Whittingham
Removed bulged bomb bay question

On 12/10/2019 at 6:44 AM, canberra kid said:

@colin ritchie I'll dig out some more pylon specific details this evening when I get home.

John

Hello, @canberra kid,

would you have any info on the Nord AS30 pylons used by SAAF?

regards,

TW

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I’m researching the Buccaneer s.1, with the intent of building a 1/48 version, and I would like to know how far outboard of the wing fold the early bomb pylon is located. Does anyone have this dimension?

any info would be greatly appreciated.

TW.

According to an article by Jonathon Mock in a magazine article (don't remember which magazine) from January 1996, the early pylon is 14mm (1/48 scale) from the wing fold.  Unfortunately, my scanner isn't cooperating at the moment, otherwise I would attach his drawings.  Hope that's of help.

Trevor

On 12/3/2020 at 9:42 PM, David Womby said:

Looks very similar.  This is the only photo I can find on the web.  Not very clear but it may help.:

https://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/MA/MA97-2/44-1.jpg

David

looks  alot like the pylon used on the Mirage 2000 for the AS-30L...

Seeking to tap into the collective Buccaneer knowledge with a question about stores options.

For an RAF aircraft, would a stores fit of slipper tanks on the inboards stations and an ALQ-101 ECM pod (port pylon) and CBLS100 practice bomb carrier (starboard pylon) be a realistic payload ?

34 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Seeking to tap into the collective Buccaneer knowledge with a question about stores options.

For an RAF aircraft, would a stores fit of inboard slipper tanks on the inboards stations and an ALQ-101 ECM pod (port pylon) and CBLS100 practice bomb carrier (starboard pylon be a realistic payload ?

Yes, that is a very realistic load. There was often a difference between the UK based squadrons and RAFG. Not all the time, but in general the UK sqns fitted the ECM pod on the starboard outer pylon. RAFG sqns fitted the pod on the port.

I have absolutely no idea why the difference.

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2020 at 6:17 PM, Phone Phixer said:

Have a look in the walkaround section of BM, there are a few pics there.

spacer.png

The under nacelle AN/ALE 40 dispensers that canberra kid  shows were only installed on the 12 airframes used for Op Pulsator in 1983.

I have a question about the timeframe those chaff dispenses were used. I will be building the Airfix 1/48 S2B Buccaneer kit, with the recce pallet added. I will probably do it in 12 Sqn markings, if I can find suitable aftermarket decals. Would they have had those chaff dispensers installed at the time they flew with the recce pallet?

Larry

4 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

I have a question about the timeframe those chaff dispenses were used. I will be building the Airfix 1/48 S2B Buccaneer kit, with the recce pallet added. I will probably do it in 12 Sqn markings, if I can find suitable aftermarket decals. Would they have had those chaff dispensers installed at the time they flew with the recce pallet?

Larry

They were investigating possible locations for AN/ALE 40 dispensers just as I was about to be posted off the Bucc fleet in 1986. So the actual mod programme would have been after then.

Definitely was after the recce pallet has stopped being used.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

They were investigating possible locations for AN/ALE 40 dispensers just as I was about to be posted off the Bucc fleet in 1986. So the actual mod programme would have been after then.

Definitely was after the recce pallet has stopped being used.

Thanks for that info. That's one less mod I have to worry about.

Larry