All your Bucc questions

Don H.

I wouldn't have any hesitation building an RAF example from the box, especially an early one.

I would look at reference photos of one you're thinking of doing, just for minor things like RWR and ILS etc fittings, and don't forget there was a short period in the early 1970s when they didn't have the vortex generators fitted on the wings.

Oh, and add the taxy lamp to the nose leg, it's in the kit.

My favourite Buccaneer scheme is the very early RAF one, gloss paint and full colour roundels!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

I ended up with three of the new Airfix Buccs, and I was wondering if they can be built OOB as any RAF examples? I have the Xtradecal Buccaneer sheet part 1, which seems to have some 1970s-era RAF Buccaneers without the bulged bomb bay; do I need to do anything up to and including waiting for a RAF boxing to build one?

Three won't be enough. 

Some clever soul on this site, maybe this thread, pointed out that the kit has the mounting plates for the ALE-40 flare dispensers moulded onto the underside of the fuselage.: raised, vaguely kite-shaped shapes on the underside just forward of each jet pipe.  These are Gulf War era mods and not applicable to the current kit options, let alone a 1970s RAF one.  Taken in trust: I am but a child in matters Buccaneer.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Three won't be enough. 

Some clever soul on this site, maybe this thread, pointed out that the kit has the mounting plates for the ALE-40 flare dispensers moulded onto the underside of the fuselage.: raised, vaguely kite-shaped shapes on the underside just forward of each jet pipe.  These are Gulf War era mods and not applicable to the current kit options, let alone a 1970s RAF one.  Taken in trust: I am but a child in matters Buccaneer.

Oh, this is just the start. I've been waiting for a good Bucc for years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Some clever soul on this site, maybe this thread, pointed out that the kit has the mounting plates for the ALE-40 flare dispensers moulded onto the underside of the fuselage.:

It was my goodself 😋, forgot about the plates, also goes for the Navy ones obviously.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Murph said:

Any word on when Freightdog will be releasing their Red Beard/weapons bay door for the Bucc?

Regards,

Murph

I don't see it on their website.

On 12/18/2019 at 6:12 PM, Procopius said:

Oh, this is just the start. I've been waiting for a good Bucc for years.

Well you’ve got one.  So why would you faff about turning it into an inferior RAF version?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Well you’ve got one.  So why would you faff about turning it into an inferior RAF version?  

Because I've got three, and there are only two decal options in the box!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Jetgrob said:

I don't see it on their website.

Neither do I.

9 hours ago, 71chally said:

I think that's their previous version, which was designed for the earlier Airfix kit.

Regards,

Murph

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Talking of which, I really hope that someone will come up with a modern spec S.1 conversion for this kit.

I have the Modelart S.1 intakes for the old Airfix kit.  Away from my references at the mo: what else needs doing?  Smaller jetpipes, I'd imagine?

First of all thank you to everyone throwing there Bucc knowledge into this superb pot of info, awesome stuff.

Quick new question that I cant see having been asked already, but please ignore this if it has.

On Xtradecal sheet X72307 theres a lovely Navy Bucc XT277 from the 60's in an experimental "Squirrel Grey" scheme. Does anyone know what this roughly equates to in modern parlance or  have any specific info on the colour used? Initially I thought it looks very similar to med sea grey but comparing it to the example on sheet X72308 its darker, possibly closer to the modern camo grey. Any thoughts?

Eng

I bought the Airfix S2C to act as incentive/inspiration for this beast 

spacer.png

The 32nd one from Icelandic, and much as I liked putting the airfic one together in an hour or so , I still prefer the challenge of working on something this size.. !

If you want more of the same - have a look here 

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/82749-132-buccaneer-s2b-icelandic-fine-arts/

colinR

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Murph said:

I think that's their previous version, which was designed for the earlier Airfix kit.

It is, but the revised one for the new kit doesn't look much different, though you do get  a pair of earlier style homer pods for the wings and a slighly higher price tag. @Colin @ Freightdog Models might be able to advise when thay'll be available again?

Afternoon all,

Anyone else had a Bucc with mould issues or "short shot"? Had this one arrive earlier and its missing a large chunk of the lower RH intake area right back to the double tabs for the location of the compressor face part.

Have emailed Airfix Customer Service with some pics and requested a new part so will see what happens.

Eng

49351622436_f720af9a93_c.jpg

• Confused 1

On 1/8/2020 at 6:45 AM, Dave Swindell said:

It is, but the revised one for the new kit doesn't look much different, though you do get  a pair of earlier style homer pods for the wings and a slighly higher price tag. @Colin @ Freightdog Models might be able to advise when thay'll be available again?

I have the older version, but the bay door was designed to be mounted from inside the fuselage of the old kit, which means the removal of a serious amount of resin on the Freightdog product or removing the bay on the new kit.  The door would also need to be shortened, as it is noticeably longer than the weapons bay on the new kit.

Regards,

Murph 

I just had a dig in my box of decals and found an old Modeldecal sheet 57 which includes markings for 736 & 801 squadrons in EDSG/White early scheme - interestingly the underwing serials and code 726 on the 736 aircraft are roundel blue and not black as on more recent Buccaneer decal sheets - the 801 aircraft has  roundel blue serials and black 230 aircraft number does anyone know if both colours were used on the EDSG/White scheme?

CJP

• Like 1

I think the 'convention' was,

EDSG & white scheme was, if it had toned down (ie very light blue & pink) roundels then the underwing serials were applied in that same light blue. Codes were in either that same roundel light blue or in black, fuselage serials and titling in white.

If it had full colour roundels the underwing serials and codes were in black, fuselage serials and titling in white.

EGSG all over aircraft, the roundels (both three, and two colour tactical) were full colour but all serials, codes and titling were in the light blue of the earlier toned down roundels.

I'm sure I've seen a pic of '726' XN77? in EDSG with full colour roundels, black underwing serials, and light blue codes.

Also, I could be wrong but I think the '726' code would indicate that it's a 700 NAS Buccaneer.

I say 'convention', because there is always an exception!

• Thanks 1