All your Bucc questions

Don H.

20 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

I was just about to ask about this; glad to see something is being said. Kitlynx is now offering the kit for $27.99USD; and saying that it has a 2 week delivery time(for USA). I haven't read how the kit looks, how detailed, decals/transfers, etc. Somewhere I have the old(60s) kit made by Airfix. So, I am interested in this one. Would like to read/see more about the new one.

Joe

Here they talk of little else:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049171-172-blackburn-buccaneer-smk2-by-airfix-released/page/17/

• Haha 1

On 10/9/2019 at 12:18 AM, Pappy said:

Check out post #11 in this thread champ

So it was you Pappy

Let me say that you contributed a lot for my Buccaneer midl life crisis (about 15 of them) in wonderful 1/72 scale

Cheers to you 

Armando

7 hours ago, RAGATIGER said:

So it was you Pappy

Let me say that you contributed a lot for my Buccaneer midl life crisis (about 15 of them) in wonderful 1/72 scale

Cheers to you 

Armando

G'day Armando,

Guilty as charged I'm afraid :) - everyone  jet modeller should build at least one Bucc. I personally can't wait for the Airfix re-tooled 1/72 RAF Buccaneer but will probably build a Navy one as well. Who knows, maybe Airfix will release a re-tooled 1/48 version a swell, after all, they did it with the Blenheims

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pappy said:

G'day Armando,

Guilty as charged I'm afraid :) - everyone  jet modeller should build at least one Bucc. I personally can't wait for the Airfix re-tooled 1/72 RAF Buccaneer but will probably build a Navy one as well. Who knows, maybe Airfix will release a re-tooled 1/48 version a swell, after all, they did it with the Blenheims

cheers,

Pappy

I hope so too for a 1/48 brick.

John

• Like 2

Please someone answer the question!

In my own words:

Did RAF buccaneers Mk 2a carry slipper tanks in 1970 if their bombbays had not been enlarged to carry extra fuel?

I too am looking forward to the Airfix kit but wonder how long I'll have to wait to see a Honington S Mk2A.  Me thinks it's a simple conversion from the present offring.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MigModeller said:

Please someone answer the question!

In my own words:

Did RAF buccaneers Mk 2a carry slipper tanks in 1970 if their bombbays had not been enlarged to carry extra fuel?

I too am looking forward to the Airfix kit but wonder how long I'll have to wait to see a Honington S Mk2A.  Me thinks it's a simple conversion from the present offring.

@MigModeller I can't give you a definitive but from what I can gather from this page from the early RAF pilots notes I would say yes they did, it looks like the bomb bay door with the integral fuel tank was a later mod? Also of note is only one size of slipper tank is listed.

spacer.png

John

Edited by canberra kid
spelling
  • Like 1

So I want to do an earlier Bucc in the grey/white scheme. However the new kit has the later fairing moulded between the intakes and fwd. Fusulage. Were these fairings fitted post the blue/grey scheme, did any fly with both  or do I have to try sanding them off for an earlier machine? 

Cheers

Sean

I am afraid you'll have to try and sand them off.

I have been unable to find any picture of an EDSG/white Buccaneer with the fairings. There are pictures of overall EDSG Royal Navy Buccaneers and even RAF Buccaneers without them.

I'm not an expert, I'd guess the fairings began to appear around 1970/71?

Claudio

Given the number of bucc threads over the last couple of days I will merge them all to this thread. Please ask any questions here and dont start new threads in order that we can keep all the info in one place. Thx

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2019 at 8:45 PM, BushBrit66 said:

So I want to do an earlier Bucc in the grey/white scheme. However the new kit has the later fairing moulded between the intakes and fwd. Fusulage. Were these fairings fitted post the blue/grey scheme, did any fly with both  or do I have to try sanding them off for an earlier machine? 

There is a bit of info on this in the Rumourmonger Airfix Buccaneer thread, they are dead easy to remove and make good though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2019 at 10:31 PM, Jetgrob said:

Airfix USA usually are about a month behind the UK.

Be patient and you will get yours.

Well, I broke down and contacted Airfix USA and their response was that two months after the UK release, they still don't have the model and they gave no indication of when they might expect it.  Seems like an odd way to run a company.  

1 minute ago, mdauben said:

Well, I broke down and contacted Airfix USA and their response was that two months after the UK release, they still don't have the model and they gave no indication of when they might expect it.  Seems like an odd way to run a company.  

It's so good UK modellers won't allow it out of the country.

6 minutes ago, mdauben said:

...they still don't have the model and they gave no indication of when they might expect it....

I am glad that I went ahead and got one from a UK based ebayer.  I think it ended up being about $38 shipped which is only a couple of bucks more than I paid for the couple of Buccs I have on pre-order.  - Jack (the perhaps not so clever as he seems to think he is wordsmith)

thanks for the resources, since i'm in the middle of the Icelandic 1/32 Buc,, a great project , aut it involves a fair amount of Scratchbuilding / Modeling skills -  On that note - does anyone have drawing of the RAF Pylons, especially the outer ones, 

for the record I'm planning a 12Sq S2B , complete with 4 Sea Eagles 

Thanks 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, colin ritchie said:

thanks for the resources, since i'm in the middle of the Icelandic 1/32 Buc,, a great project , aut it involves a fair amount of Scratchbuilding / Modeling skills -  On that note - does anyone have drawing of the RAF Pylons, especially the outer ones, 

for the record I'm planning a 12Sq S2B , complete with 4 Sea Eagles 

Thanks 

The pylons in use are the standard "universal" pylons for the S2B. Hung on the bottom of those are the Sea Eagle launchers, then the missiles.

All 4 wing pylons were the same, hence "universal", but in the later years AN/ALE 40 dispensers were bolted on the outer rear side for chaff use.

There is another Bucc info thread with canberra kids copies of his AP library, including diagrams of pylons.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235062117-johns-other-bucc-info-here/#comments

• Like 1

I ended up with three of the new Airfix Buccs, and I was wondering if they can be built OOB as any RAF examples? I have the Xtradecal Buccaneer sheet part 1, which seems to have some 1970s-era RAF Buccaneers without the bulged bomb bay; do I need to do anything up to and including waiting for a RAF boxing to build one?