All your Bucc questions

Don H.

I would agree with 71chally there.   There is/used to be a really nice Buccaneer website which had histories of all the airframes.  Not that long ago I built the old Airfix NA39 as a nostalgia build but took the details off that website to make it a more accurate prototype - it's the easier option of what to do with it.  But built it should be! 🙂 

• Like 2

Hmm not really, there is a lot to do to get there with S2 Buccaneers

It might be a good idea to pop into the thread for a clue or two

When I get onto my PC I will make a link if you like, its fairly easy to find the Buccs if you search through my profile

Edit to add I would have been happy to begin by mixing the Airfix S1 into my builds

• Thanks 1

This might work, have plenty of refreshments, take regular breaks and let people know where you are

This/I tends to waffle on a lot but there is lots of useful stuff from those who wandered in with help and advice

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/09/2019 at 12:35, Vicarage Vee said:

Always worth contacting them https://www.modartdec.com/contact.html Jean Pierre is very helpful (and makes great decals)

On 11/09/2019 at 12:35, Vicarage Vee said:

Always worth contacting them https://www.modartdec.com/contact.html Jean Pierre is very helpful (and makes great decals)

The decals (transfers if you are an old git like me) are very nice but I think the pale reds and blues are way too pale

viz:

P1010801.jpg

They do sit nicely above one another on the paired ones like the white outlined numbers, good but need attention I suggest

• Like 3

May I recommend the From The Cockpit No.6 publication 'Buccaneer S.1' by Michael Doust?  An excellent source, chock full of reference photos, as well as a great read by someone who flew the type and many contributors who also flew or maintained it.  I'd also recommend the ModelArt set. It's is very nicely moulded.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the last days of 809 Sqdn with the Buc they held an exercise in the Med aboard HMS Ark Royal. There was an article in Aviation News January 1980 V8 No16 and on the front page a Buccaneer is shown carrying 8 540lb bombs. Now there are 3 bombs under each wing and 2 in the bomb bay. Now l did not know that the Buc had 3 wing pylons under the wing or is the one where the wing tank is a dual bomb carrier ? Because the photo is black and white and on newspaper the serial cannot be ascertained and is not too clear about the carriage of the bombs. The photo is credited to the RN. 

Is there any 540lb available and what colour they might be and any ideas about the wing pylons.

Regards

Robert

Can you scan and show us the photo please?

As far as I know,Buccaneers only had 4 underwing pylons,2 on each side.

At HMS Fulmar it was not common to see tanks fitted,usually just the 4 pylons with either bombs or rocket pods. If tanks were fitted then there were only the 2 outer wing pylons available for weapons (I'm not counting the internal bomb bay in this conversation)

There are photos on-line of a trials aircraft with triple ejector racks on the pylons. 

There are also photos of late 809 aircraft with an extended rack on the inner pylon (for 2 bombs ?) 

I can't access www.buccaneer.co.uk at moment. It's an excellent site.

• Like 2

Scanned this RAF aircraft from a magazine some time ago for my  Buccaneer archive. Perhaps as alluded in your post, it could had been mounted with TERs.

There is another photo of a RN aircraft with 2 bombs on the inboard mounted in tandem on an adapter similar to that used on the Jaguar.

tumblr_o87c1u8Teu1s6qr4mo1_500

Edited by YK GOH
  • Like 1

The pylon has the twin carrier as mentioned by @YK GOH above.

The perspective makes it look like three pylons are fitted.

66673452c84b180477be2bf34e1dd3e4.jpg

I wondered if they could carry it on the outer pylon and found this photo showing they can.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/Buccaneer_Eagle_1971.jpg

It appears that that Buccaneer has 4 twin launchers fitted hence the 8 bombs mentioned.

I wonder what was in the bomb bay?

If you can make out the code on the original,let me know and I'll get a serial number for you.

On 9/26/2019 at 8:25 AM, YK GOH said:

This is a development aircraft configured for testing.  This load was never used operationally.  Incidentally, Matchbox picked up on this photo and used it as inspiration for their box art on the original release in 1973.  It does look menacing though doesn't it!

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 2:25 PM, YK GOH said:

Scanned this RAF aircraft from a magazine some time ago for my  Buccaneer archive. Perhaps as alluded in your post, it could had been mounted with TERs.

There is another photo of a RN aircraft with 2 bombs on the inboard mounted in tandem on an adapter similar to that used on the Jaguar.

Just a  quick aside, these are not TER fitted to this  Bucc.

These are Carrier Bomb Triple Ejector (CBTE) which was a development especially for the UK taken from the US TER design.  The angles of the two side release units are different  to the TER as it was a UK requirement to carry 3 UK 1000lb bombs on the UK Phantom. Because the UK bomb  was fatter than US bombs, they would not fit on the standard TER.  Re-positioning the side release units by changing the relative angle allowed the carriage of the UK bombs.

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Patrick Martin said:

Can the bomb bay be half rotated - as if on ground display?

PM

I’ve seen photos of half rotated bays in maintenance settings etc but definitely not a normal thing.  It may even have to be done manually.  It rotates rather quickly in one swift motion so I guess it would have to be disabled and rotated manually to have it halfway.  This is all sheer speculation on my part though.   I was certainly are rare occasion though.  - Jack

Edited by wadeocu