Fitting a wooden deck

Hi

can anyone give me some advice for fitting a wooden deck please

The make is a shipyard works deck which I will fit to a flyhawk Bismark kit.

I know once you drop it in place that’s it can’t be moved but I have heard if you mix white glue with water and apply it to the back of the deck, it will give you a chance to align it before it sets, just wondering what everyone thinks.

thank you 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul, I'm probably too late with this but here's my experience with fitting a wooden deck for the first time.

Mine was a Pontos deck on HMS Warspite and I was really worried about screwing the fitting up. I have to say I found removing the sections from the backing film the most difficult , you leave lots of tiny pieces behind and the deck sections stick to your fingers!

I brushed a mixture of water and dish soap on the plastic deck first, this allows you to remove and move the wooden deck if you don't position it correctly first time. Press the deck down and blot the excess water when you are happy with the position, leave to dry in a warm place.

I then went around pressing any edges around cut outs with a blunt ended small screwdriver to make sure they were bedded down. 

Then you have to fit all those tiny pieces left on the backing sheet......

Good luck.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/10/2019 at 08:35, Coors54 said:

Hi Paul, I'm probably too late with this but here's my experience with fitting a wooden deck for the first time.

Mine was a Pontos deck on HMS Warspite and I was really worried about screwing the fitting up. I have to say I found removing the sections from the backing film the most difficult , you leave lots of tiny pieces behind and the deck sections stick to your fingers!

I brushed a mixture of water and dish soap on the plastic deck first, this allows you to remove and move the wooden deck if you don't position it correctly first time. Press the deck down and blot the excess water when you are happy with the position, leave to dry in a warm place.

I then went around pressing any edges around cut outs with a blunt ended small screwdriver to make sure they were bedded down. 

Then you have to fit all those tiny pieces left on the backing sheet......

Good luck.

Dave

Hi

Dave

first off I’m really sorry for the late reply and thank you for the time you took to reply I really appreciate it.

I haven’t started the model yet but feel a lot more confident with your idea of fitting the deck.

Once again please accept my apology for not replying sooner.

Thank you 

• Like 1