Airfix 1/72 Boulton Paul Defiant

Another great Airfix kit, built OOB apart from aftermarket decals. Brush painted with Revell Aquacolor and then Vallejo matt varnish. Added some Mig Ammo light grey panel wash and Tamiya weathering powder to break up the black monotony.... although it doesn't really show up too well on the photos.

Thanks for looking 🙂

IMG_20191013_230742

IMG_20191013_230811

IMG_20191013_230827

• Like 56

8 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Excellent Defiant with a fab brushed finish and suitably subtle weathering!

Is that a hint of decal backing film on the port aileron hinge? In that case, perhaps a quick slice of a scalpel?

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks for the kind comments, i think there's a bit of panel wash that's built up on the aileron so well spotted...i will look into dealing with it 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys. I have to say i do think that Revell Aquacolor are really underrated. Once thinned they brush and cover beautifully...as good as Vallejo. The only downside is the pots they come in are terrible! They never seem to seal properly and so after only a few uses the paint becomes a dried mass of gloop! The amount of paints I've had to throw away. So c'mon Revell.... how about doing something about it eh? 🤔

On 10/14/2019 at 11:55 AM, Erwin said:

Looks great.

My favourite WW-2 plane.

If only they could do this in 32 nd or 24 th scale some day.

A company called Scratchbuilders did a resin kit that was 32nd last seen in 2011.Wonder what happened to the moulds?

Mike.

Edited by mick b

4 hours ago, mick b said:

A company called Scratchbuilders did a resin kit that was 32nd last seen in 2011.Wonder what happened to the moulds?

Mike.

I know that one.

But I don't like resin and it's very rare and expensive.

I rather have an injection  kit.

Maybe Trumpeter in 32 nd and Airfix in 24 th.

Edited by Erwin

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful build of an amazing subject. Can I ask, as I'm about do the same one myself (after having completed the day version), I'll be using Vallejo matt varnish to finish it too. Do you use it straight from the bottle (i'm a brush painter too) or do you thin it?

19 minutes ago, ayoc2010 said:

Beautiful build of an amazing subject. Can I ask, as I'm about do the same one myself (after having completed the day version), I'll be using Vallejo matt varnish to finish it too. Do you use it straight from the bottle (i'm a brush painter too) or do you thin it?

Thanks for the compliment. Cheers! Regarding the matt varnish i used it thinned very slightly with water but I've also used unthinned as well. Use a large flat brush if you can as this reduces any brush marks. Recently I've also used the Vallejo PREMIUM matt varnish 62.062 which is even better. I've brushed and airbrushed this with good results. Not thinned at all. 

Superb job!! Very well finished!!

After having built two of the old Airfix kits long ago, the latter with some corrections, I intend to replace it with this new kit of which I have one in the stash. I hope it comes out as well as yours!

Miguel

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Mark4700 said:

Very nicely done. I think black aircraft seem an easy paint, but to make them look convincing is quite difficult. You’ve managed that easily. 

Thanks! Yes you're right, black aircraft are not easy but i read a tip on here some time ago about NOT using black paint for black aircraft! Instead use a very dark grey. I think for the defiant i used Revell Aqua 36109 Anthracite thinned with water for brush. I've not used Revell for airbrush, but use Vallejo model air instead... something like Tyre Black or Nato Black seems to do the trick.

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2019 at 9:17 AM, binbrook87 said:

The only downside is the pots they come in are terrible! They never seem to seal properly and so after only a few uses the paint becomes a dried mass of gloop! The amount of paints I've had to throw away. So c'mon Revell.... how about doing something about it eh? 🤔

/late-to-the-party

I believe you can buy those squirty Vallejo bottles as empties. Might be something to consider.

• Thanks 1