MiG-23PD STOL Kitbash 1:72

Hello Britmodellers,

here my newest Kitbash in 1:72. STOL-Protytype No. 23.01. 23.11 had swing wing. Bad Art Model needed Academy forward fuselage and more Airfix, R.V. and Italeri etc. parts.

90 hrs solely building time. After surgery it looks like a MiG. Before, it didnt...

Cheers,

Tom

mig23pdDSC_5402 mig23pdDSC_540vz2 mig23pdDSC_540ve2 mig23pdDSC_540v2 mig23pdDSC_540vg2 mig23pdDSC_540vt2

• Like 54

Thank you,

mates!

5 hours ago, J.C. Bahr said:

Holy sheep ****!!!  "90 hours?!" 

2 hours ago, zebra said:

Very nice work. But 90 hours... sounds like

@ J.C. and zebra: Yes because there was so much riveting and to do for that kit was so wrong. I made e.g. new mudgards and let cast them in resine and so on... When you see one built OOB, thats another bird...

But i LOVE x-planes! :)

7 hours ago, F-32 said:

Very cool, kinda looks like a Mig-21 and a Mirage had a drunken night together

Thank you!

Yes, a real nice Migage!

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

One on my TO-DO list.........but after all you done...it will for sure stay in the stash for a long time.....

Beautiful work and finished look. All your effort pays.....you done a great model. Something we do not see often finished.

Onece more...BRAVO!

Best regards Djordje

That's lovely - a very interesting and attractive aircraft and a very sweet looking model. Shame that you had to do so much work on the kit - sounds like the Art Model kit was more trouble than to was worth!? My only criticism would be that it would be nice to see the lift jets deployed. 

There is a short video of the original, which I am sure you are aware of, here if anyone is interested: 

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Baldy said:

That's lovely - a very interesting and attractive aircraft and a very sweet looking model. Shame that you had to do so much work on the kit - sounds like the Art Model kit was more trouble than to was worth!? My only criticism would be that it would be nice to see the lift jets deployed. 

There is a short video of the original, which I am sure you are aware of, here if anyone is interested: 

Cheers

Malcolm

Yes Malcolm,

you are right, this would show the USP! But its too ugly for me and there is not a single pic of the interior to find (only from Yak-38) So i built this:

mig23pd original _06

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baldy said:

Shame that you had to do so much work on the kit - sounds like the Art Model kit was more trouble than to was worth!?

Yes. Many Russian text about MiG-23PD:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33938&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=160

If shortly, Art Model have a wrong nose part.....all single seat MiG-23 family in 72nd scale have wrong nose part....but MiG-23PD have more wrong. For corrections I recommend use detail set from P&J

PC152299.jpg

or nose part from YuMTK MiG-23....but it's also extremely  rare.

But don't get upset, some modeller's make the MiG-23PD and on the 48th scale from Trumpeter:

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/11252-Trumpeter-1-48-mig-23pd---mig-s-ukorochennym-vzletom-i-posadkojj-.html

W.I.P:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_60905.html

On 10/15/2019 at 5:07 PM, replicant said:

only one built. No survivor...

Unsuccessful aircraft as and unsuccessful conception.

At the OKB, Mikoyan considered the obvious idea of building an ordinary fighter without STOL on the basis of this aircraft, but probably the work was postponed due to the higher priority  23.11 had swing wing, future MiG-23, who became a real fighter only in the MiG-23 MLD modification.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Yes. Many Russian text about MiG-23PD:

Hello Serge, thank you!

I use many russian sources, this forum is always a good help for me and was for this build! I know your beautiful 48th PD! My MiG-23PD will be in ModellFan 1/2020

Cheers,

Tom

tu22kd aaajlljdfgrtdjfh mige8_2013b

Edited by replicant
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, replicant said:

I know your beautiful 48th PD!

Tom, PD in 48th, not my! My collection - jet fighter in 72nd scale!

2 hours ago, replicant said:

My MiG-23PD will be in ModellFan 1/2020

Waiting!!

B.R.

Serge

Nice! As I remember this machine

mig23pd_02.jpg

was shown on 1967 Air Show for the 50 years anniversary of October's Revolution togetehr with VTOL modification of Su-15

sut58vd_3.jpg

and Mig-21 VTOL

TN_fr1_21.JPG

Cheers

J-W

• Like 3

Frankly speaking both these Su-15 and Mig-21 were rather STOL than VTOL machines...

However it's very interesting for me whether this 23DPD used the wings of Ye-152/166 ?

Or it's the other way round - maybe these are the wings of (then) future Chinese J-8 ?  

It looks impossible for me that the Russians have simply made two (or three) sets of wings to throw them away and scrap - this money must have been returned :)

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KRK4m said:

Mig-21 were rather STOL

The MiG-21PD is a fully experimental aircraft, it doesn’t even have the wheels removed, they simply have nowhere to hide in the fuselage! No main wheel bay!

However it's very interesting for me whether this 23DPD used the wings of Ye-152/166 ?

Photo comparison MiG-23PD with which aircraft from the E-150 / E-152 family do you want?

I have and MiG-23PD, and E-150 / E-152 family in 72nd scale.

But something say my - wing MiG-23PD from MiG-21?

Or it's the other way round - maybe these are the wings of (then) future Chinese J-8 ?  

No. Chinese J-8 it's probably only peeped idea....conception.

Parallel way E-150/E-152 while it seems to me more aerodynamically perfect!

It’s a pity that nobody does J-8.

B.w. analogue E-150/152 it's.....Su-9/11.

It looks impossible for me that the Russians have simply made two (or three) sets of wings to throw them away and scrap - this money must have been returned

If there were 90s now, then I would write something about a planned economy in which money is not counted, but now knowing how many experimental aircraft in the West were destroyed (for example, CF-105 Arrow) I understand that people all over the world are the same! 😉

Probably MiG-23PD was long time in hangar Moscow Aviation University as study guide, after which he was handed over for scrap.

B.R.

Serge

Hi Sniffer Tom!

Long time indeed since I haven't seen you in these pages, although it is more than likely me who was too busy elsewhere to catch up with you.

Gee, when you say kitbash, you sure mean kitbash!!! My kitbashing usually comes down to borrowing the wheels from another kit... Very daring!

Whatever, the end result of your open heart surgery is really smashing!

Congratulations!!!!

JR

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Sniffer Tom!

Long time indeed since I haven't seen you in these pages, although it is more than likely me who was too busy elsewhere to catch up with you.

Gee, when you say kitbash, you sure mean kitbash!!! My kitbashing usually comes down to borrowing the wheels from another kit... Very daring!

Whatever, the end result of your open heart surgery is really smashing!

Congratulations!!!!

JR

Thank you, Jean!

You had serious reasons. But me too wasnt here so much because of building every month one ModellFan Magazine in Germany.

And i am definitely not getting younger, considering business life. But so, i have a little Armada (old and young) flying in here now...

All the best in wonderful Africa

Tom

Hi Sniffer Tom,

you are rekindling old memories by mentioning ModellFan! I used to religiously buy that magazine when I was working from Holland, so many centuries ago! It is great it is still going, when so many modelling publications have bitten the dust over the years.

Wonderful Africa is around 39 Celsius today, and on Monday they are forecasting 48 Celsius... Not good.

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

Really really well done. The finished product looks absolutely flawless and quite inspiring. Loving the pilot figure also. I'm sure when photographed in sunny conditions on a diorama base the result would appear an archive photograph more than one of a model.Thank you for sharing!

• Thanks 1