This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Tony Whittingham

Jet provosts of the CFS Aerobatic Team 1961

Hello All,

I am looking for photos of the Central Flying School Aerobatic Team in 1961, either at the Paris Air Show, or Farnborough. My late uncle flew in the slot position that year, and I’d like to build the new Airfix kit as a tribute.They were on JP3 trainers, modified to make smoke. Does anyone have photos to share?

All assistance will be greatly appreciated.

TW

I did find a couple of references in 'RAF Little Rissington' (Pen & Sword 2006) including Flt Lt Whittingham as a member of the 1961 team 'The Pelicans' on JP3s. Note: not as yet 'The Red Pelicans'. There was a concurrent team called 'Pelicans Red' but I think they were on Vampire T.11s, but nothing really outstanding detail wise. There is an in flight underside formation photo of what could be the team although it doesn't say that, quite indistinct and taken from the ground. Even with a magnifier it is difficult to make much out but all four look to be  in the 'XM' range, and have underwing smoke generators (operating). There is a reference to 1963 and a repaint into over all "dayglo orange" so I'm assuming that your model would need to be in the early painted  orange dayglo and silver scheme. They may also have simply used whichever a/c were available on the day, being a spare time team but I'm guessing now on that one. Possibly not since the underwing smoke  canisters might take a bit of time to fit. Hope that helps a little bit.

Cheers, Nige

According to Aerobatic Teams of the World by Adrian Balch, the CFS team used 6 JP T.3s in 1961 season as follows; XN550 (S-A), XN549 (R-W), XN511 (R-W), XN554 (S-E), XN572 (S-G) and XN577 (S-F), but there is no photo of the said season in this book.

Found a vague photo in the Flight International 14 September 1961 issue.

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1961/1961 - 1317.html

The photo suggests that the colour scheme is the same as that of 1960 season as shown below.

spacer.png

By the way, your late uncle must be one of those members.

spacer.png

Hope these will help.

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

Thanks to all for the help! Turns out that the team also flew XN serialled JP3’s modified to make smoke, the tank was mounted on the right ejection seat rails.

this is from an old email from my uncle , Flt. Lt. T.H. Whittingham.

TW

On 10/17/2019 at 2:33 PM, MigModeller said:

Do decals exist for this displlay team T3 in 1/72?

Generic Modeldecal/Xtradecal codes?

I have not found any decals for the CFS team, so I was planning on using the black lettering from Modeldecal.