Any tips for stripping Humbrol Acrylic?

Meatbox8

I've been using Humbrol 166 for the underside of the Airfix Harrier GR.1. applied by brush and, frankly, it looks awful.  Streaky, uneven and with pooling despite my best efforts.  I'd be grateful if anyone with a good method of stripping it could let me know.

I'd start with Windex (use the ammonia one, the other won't work), that's my go to for acrylics. Then I escalate to metho / IPA and if that doesn't work, it's medieval time with Gunze Sangyo Leveling Thinner. That has yet to fail with acrylics. As a final fallback, I'd be looking at the nuclear option, a caustic oven cleaner (not the namby pamby 'safe' stuff, it's useless. Doesn't work for ovens, either). I have never had to use that for acrylics though.

Note that I don't use Humbrol acrylics, but these are all tested on Tamiya, Gunze, Xtracrylix, Games Workshop and P3 paints.

9 hours ago, Rob G said:

I'd start with Windex (use the ammonia one, the other won't work), that's my go to for acrylics. Then I escalate to metho / IPA and if that doesn't work, it's medieval time with Gunze Sangyo Leveling Thinner. That has yet to fail with acrylics. As a final fallback, I'd be looking at the nuclear option, a caustic oven cleaner (not the namby pamby 'safe' stuff, it's useless. Doesn't work for ovens, either). I have never had to use that for acrylics though.

Note that I don't use Humbrol acrylics, but these are all tested on Tamiya, Gunze, Xtracrylix, Games Workshop and P3 paints.

Thanks Rob. I shall give Windex a go in the first instance.  Despite doing a fruitless search before I posted there seems to be several threads concerning this, offering a number of options, with various cleaners being recommended so it seems there are several things I can try.   I don't fancy using oven cleaner -  'orrible stuff, but might resort to it if all else fails.  

Yeah, oven cleaner isn't fun, but it's effective. I have a large plastic tub with an airtight lid that I use - spray a heavy coat of cleaner on, close the lid and come back next day. The lid stop it drying out which allows it to keep working. A large plastic bag that can be closed will work as well.

There are model paint strippers available, but I've not had much success with those. Testors ELO eats plastic, which makes it a bit useless to my mind. At least, it ate the plastic on a Dragon tank, so it failed at its one and only chance. And it was expensive, to boot.

Of course, to prevent having to strip paint, do what I mostly do - never get around to actually painting them. :D

• Haha 1

I’ve stripped acrylic painted plastic wargame figures many times over the years, painted with various brands of acrylics. If you can stand the smell, old fashioned neat brown Dettol works wonders (but make sure to wear gloves when handling). Past couple of years I’ve started using IPA, which if anything works even better than Dettol.

(https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235039981-space-marines/&tab=comments#comment-3069470 scroll down a bit, there's an example of the effects of using IPA)

Never tried it myself, but you can get ‘original formula’ Windex off of Amazon and ebay, but if it’s for the ammonia content it might be easier to go to the chemist/Robert Dyas/Homebase etc. and just buy a bottle of pure ammonia.

Mart   

Hannants sell a product called "Purisol". I THINK that will shift most paints (but check with the Big H before buying). 

Chris. 

PS: Whatever you use, make sure you remove every last trace of the product before you apply any paint. Failure to do so will produce some very nasty-looking results (ask me how I know...)

Edited by spruecutter96
Adding some info.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LotusArenco said:

I’ve stripped acrylic painted plastic wargame figures many times over the years, painted with various brands of acrylics. If you can stand the smell, old fashioned neat brown Dettol works wonders (but make sure to wear gloves when handling). Past couple of years I’ve started using IPA, which if anything works even better than Dettol.

(https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235039981-space-marines/&tab=comments#comment-3069470 scroll down a bit, there's an example of the effects of using IPA)

Never tried it myself, but you can get ‘original formula’ Windex off of Amazon and ebay, but if it’s for the ammonia content it might be easier to go to the chemist/Robert Dyas/Homebase etc. and just buy a bottle of pure ammonia.

Mart   

Seems like a terrible waste of beer, using IPA.  Mind you, with my local brewery it's probably the best thing to use it for.  Certainly better than drinking the stuff.  Actually I've no idea what IPA is so will check your link.  Thanks.

Just now, spruecutter96 said:

Hannants sell a product called "Purisol". I THINK that will shift most paints (but check with the Big H before buying). 

Chris. 

Thank you Chris.  Will check that out if I don't have any success with domestic stuff.

• Haha 1

If feasible, I always try and give the top-coat of the paint a light sanding before trying any paint-strippers. I think it's good to "break the defences" a bit before going chemical on the  paint. 

Chris. 

On 10/13/2019 at 12:34 PM, spruecutter96 said:

IPA is Isapropyl Alcahol (often called "rubbing alcahol").

Chris. 

Ah.  As I thought.  The same as what my local brewery produce.

• 2 weeks later...

I found (by accident!) that a 50% solution of ammonia does the job. And its very cheap. But my preferred option is Gunze SLT ( though the fumes can be pretty overpowering - make sure you're well ventilated).

Colin

13 minutes ago, ckw said:

I found (by accident!) that a 50% solution of ammonia does the job. And its very cheap. But my preferred option is Gunze SLT ( though the fumes can be pretty overpowering - make sure you're well ventilated).

Colin

Thanks Colin

I shall keep those options in mind.  The Ammonia sounds a bit nasty.  I wasn't aware you could purchase it over the counter.  In the end I persevered with the paint and got a result which is just about acceptable, although not great.  It's the underside of the Airfix Harrier GR.1 so I'm not going to have to look at it too much!  I actually only used Humbrol acrylic 166 Light Aircraft Grey because I didn't have the enamel in stock.  I think in future I will avoid brush painting Humbrol acrylics.  I've had reasonable success with airbrushing them but I find it very difficult to get an even, streakless finish by brush.  Anyway, thanks for the tips guys.  If I am ever tempted to use those paints again at least I have some options if it doesn't go to plan!

23 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

I wasn't aware you could purchase it over the counter.

Don't know if you can easily buy it over counter ... I got it from Amazon, as well as IPA and cellulose thinner. Not things I expected to be able to get there, but you can.