Revell Shackleton MR.3

I've recently finished my latest project which is this Revell Shackleton MR.3 (Phase III) Built pretty much straight from the box except for modified serials and codes. I found the rivet detail on this release much shallower than the original AEW 2 particularly on the rear fuselage. The front section was much better defined. Maybe something to do with a slighter older moulding against the new parts?

The biggest disappointment for me were the amount of horrible sink marks all over the place especially toward the rear of the wings where the flap mouldings are underneath. I had to fill in a whole section with super glue and replace all the rivet detail as best I could. The inner wings around the rear of the inboard engines were the same. There were also some nasty ones along the top of the fuselage so as the rivet detail was so weak here anyway I replaced those completely.

As for the nose weight, I doubled what the instructions and added 10g for good measure which in the end wasn't really necessary but the undercarrige is strong enough to take it anyway.

The model represents an aircraft that flew with 42 Squadron out of St. Mawgan up until 1971. The aircraft was then scrapped and ended up on the fire dump at RAF Benson in the mid 70's. I've always wanted to do this particular aircraft because as a boy back then Dad would always take me up to the perimeter fence every time we went by the airfield.   https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1274426

I'm sure those that have the old Frog kit will recognise the serial (XF707). This is in fact the same aircraft as the Frog kit depicts but now fitted with Vipers. All I'd like now is something to put in the weapons bay.

Thanks for looking.

48886444656_be49da6d46_b.jpgIMG_0252

48886444266_4eb55f820b_b.jpgIMG_0253

48886622687_71ecab21ef_b.jpgIMG_0255

48886445036_a96d6e65c3_b.jpgIMG_0258

48886443266_dda3e7ab05_b.jpgIMG_0256

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 59
  • Thanks 1

Keith,

That is really outstanding. Very well done.

I checked mine and I have the same issues on the wings. It's what modelers do right..oh ours will be perfect....not....oh well we'll just deal with it as one does.

Thanks for the heads-up and thanks also for posting an exceptional example. 

All the Best!

Don

That's a terrific looking Shackleton with a lovely paint finish and excellent weathering.  Sorry to hear there are some issues with the mould.  Very unlike Revell.  Anyway, this is the first MR.3 release I've seen built and, despite the issues you highlighted, it does look very nice.  I've managed to acquire three Growlers for the stash.  One Frog MR.3 (long term build with re-scribing etc and awaiting some decent weather so I can rattle can it), the Revell AEW.2 and the Airfix MR.2. So, can I justify getting yet another kit?  Hey, it's a Phase 3 so of course I can!

Lovely job and nice to see that the kit includes the outer nacelles for the Viper engines,...... I may have to pick one of these up! Mind you,..I`m already stalled on the AEW.2 version!!

Cheers

Tony

Brilliant job on the Grey Lady! I have one I'm building, also with the Vipers. I can't say I'm as upset as you by the sink marks (perhaps mine aren't as bad? - I suspect this may be the case, as I have little or no sink marks on the fuselage). Yes there are some, but I can probably (and will) live with mine. Regarding the ordnance, I will use the torpedoes off of my Airfix MR.2, as I plan on finishing that with the bomb bay doors closed. I can say I hope my MR.3 comes out half as nicely as yours, as I'm sure it will only be half as nice!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.

Hello Keith,

Thanks for sharing your latest build with us. I have bought the model two weeks ago. I printed out your article and slipped it in the box.

To be honest, have not yet opened the plastic bags, so I can not compare.

The finished model looks great. Subtle weathering and clear photographs. Shackletons are in. But my favorite is the MR3.

I am hoping, that Xtra Decals will come forward with some SAAF decal sheets. But until now, no news from the decal industry.

But there is time. Regards, Orion , The Netherlands.

5 hours ago, Orion said:

Hello Keith,

Thanks for sharing your latest build with us. I have bought the model two weeks ago. I printed out your article and slipped it in the box.

To be honest, have not yet opened the plastic bags, so I can not compare.

The finished model looks great. Subtle weathering and clear photographs. Shackletons are in. But my favorite is the MR3.

I am hoping, that Xtra Decals will come forward with some SAAF decal sheets. But until now, no news from the decal industry.

But there is time. Regards, Orion , The Netherlands.

Thank you for your comments. FYI SAAF decals are available from MAV in South Africa. Just be warned tho' that his decals are a little on the translucent side and on previous sheets I've used (Sunderland) I've actually purchased 2 sheets and used both.

He's not the quickest with postage either.

https://www.mavdecals.co.za/product/saaf-shackleton-late-version-springbok/      OR     https://www.mavdecals.co.za/product/saaf-shackleton-early-version-roundels/