1/72 AZ Model Messerschmitt Bf-109 G-10 Erla "Yellow 24, JG27"

Dear fellow Britmodellers,

here's another AZ Model Bf-109 (#17 in my collection) representing the aircraft of Lt. Wöffen of 6./JG 27 in March 1945 at Rheine-Hopsten airfield.

The main differences of the Erla G-10s compared to those built at WNF or Regensburg plant consisted of a new engine cowling (“Type 110”), differently shaped gun throughs, a wider oil cooler, missing chin bulges and different rudder. AZ failed to replicate some of the small changes to this particular version, such as the position of filler caps, but only the 'experts' will detect them. More concerning is the shape of the front lower cowl, which seems not deep enough at the junction of the wing root and fuselage. The  difference becomes evident when you compare the AZ Model Bf-109 to the Fine Molds offering. 

On the other hand the AZ kit is considerably cheaper than the FM kit, and readily available in many different versions - and it does look convincing enough to my eyes!

The model was painted with Gunze/Mr.Hobby acrylics, for weathering I used Winsor & Newton artist's oils.

All photographs by Wolfgang Rabel.

3574ab70-f72e-4af7-b3ee-472268ec4a6b.jpg

I have not seen a photograph of this aircraft, and AZ Model instructions are a bit sketchy. For painting, I referred to a color profile in "Bf 109 Late Versions", MMP Books, p.75.

This aircraft seems to carry an overpainted fuselage number which I replicated with a paper template cut from Post-Its.

3dae3131-3a03-4f59-8eca-8ca0971a1ac8.jpg

95eca743-3ffd-4c21-a9fe-af9fad988a9a.jpg

The DF loop is a piece of scrap photo etch rolled around a cocktail stick. The pitot tube is Albion Alloys 0.3mm steel wire.

The morane mast under the wings is from a Brengun photo etch set.

The very fine IFF antenna under the belly is 0.1mm Albion Alloys steel wire.

d56efc2b-536b-4553-b08b-2ca5af50d371.jpg

c5a7c53a-43b0-4a5d-a9f4-ef75bb9937be.jpg

3b166983-62c1-450d-b16d-6ecb8a342204.jpg

a3d89c44-a7f6-4ec9-bd0b-482b17a21862.jpg

Thanks for your interest, best greetings from Vienna!

Roman

• Like 59

Beautiful, one of my favourite aircraft of the second world war. The later variants look great, especially with the variety of camouflages used, although nothing beats a yellow nosed Emil.

The weathering on this is spot on. How long did this take to build and is there a WIP I can look through?

3 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Beautiful, one of my favourite aircraft of the second world war. The later variants look great, especially with the variety of camouflages used, although nothing beats a yellow nosed Emil.

The weathering on this is spot on. How long did this take to build and is there a WIP I can look through?

Thank you for feedback, Adam!

The whole build including painting took me around 3 weeks.

A full build review is scheduled to be released in an upcoming edition of Scale Aviation Modeler International.

Edited by Roman Schilhart
  • Like 3

A very build nice complemented with a great finish. It certainly doesn't look like a 1/72 sake model.

Very inspiring especially as I have some AZ 109s t make a start on.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers

Edited by Bangor Lad

Hi My Friend Roman!!!

Superb build as always, great work and wonderful weathering, like a huge lot. Maybe one day will get a nice AZ bird as there arevery scarce in this side of the pond and follow all your great samples to finish with.a nice decent kit.

Thank you very.much for sharing!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso