1/32 Eduard BF109-E4

Antb

Hi everyone, 

I'm pleased to be able to share this build which is 99% completed. 

Need to add the aerial wire. 

For anyone interested here's the build thread

The kit didn't go together as well as I had hoped but I think I've done a fairly decent job. I tried some new techniques which I'm really pleased with such as a marble pre shade. 

I've added the following aftermarket. 

Montex masks for the crosses and swastika (which I know is incorrect) 

Profimodeller brass gun barrels for the cowling and wings 

HGW fabric seatbelts 

Brassin wheels 

Brassin engine 

I hadn't intended adding this much aftermarket but I'm pleased I did in the end. 

Paints were a mixture of tamiya acrylics and Mr hobby aqueuous.  The Mr hobby paints are fantastic and spray beautifully. 

Weather with a flory dark dirt wash. No oils or pastels with this one. 

Clear coat is just tamiya thinned with Mr hobby levelling thinners. 

I did enjoy the build although it did sap my enthusiasm in stages, but she's virtually done and here she is in all her glory. 

I know it has it's faults and errors and it's not the best or cleanest build ever but I had fun and learned new things so that will do me! 

For the purists the base it's on is my general one for photos. She will have her own grass base at a later date 😉

Sorry for the waffle. Enjoy the pictures and please be gentle 😂

20191012-125328.jpg

20191012-125333.jpg

20191012-125339.jpg

20191012-125346.jpg

20191012-125352.jpg

20191012-125356.jpg

20191012-125411.jpg

20191012-125414.jpg

20191012-125421.jpg

20191012-125426.jpg

20191012-125430.jpg

20191012-125436.jpg

20191012-125444.jpg

20191012-125449.jpg

20191012-125455.jpg

20191012-125539.jpg

20191012-125555.jpg

20191012-125521.jpg

• Like 31

17 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Impressive '09!

I assume that you're planning to add some very dark grey paint in the front 'opening' of the exhaust sheath?

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you Joachim 

I hadn't considered it to be honest, so will do now! 

Cheers 

• Like 1

It's a lovely model which you've blessed with a lot of detail to improve on Eduard's 1/32 series of the Emil. I've generally shied away from leaving the engine covers open on the models I've made. Call it laziness perhaps but I did one of Airfix 1/24 scale Emils some years back and decided to have the top covers removable so did a lot of pic research on the DB 601 to try to make something useful out of Airfix's rather dated lump of plastic. There are a variety of reasonably good pics of von Werra's E-4 being examined by RAF techies. One element that hit me was the pipework connecting the glycol tank to the engine block. I've attached a pic of my old Airfix model to show you how much they stand out despite the other blunders I made. Just a thought. Paul

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Pauls9cb thanks for the pic and the comments. I hadn’t noticed that before. 

Ive had a look at the instructions for the brassin engine and there’s no mention of cabling being needed at all! Just goes to show even the best aftermarket doesn’t include everything you expect!!! 

I  guess it's like lots of manufacturer's models. Budgets, technology, research all play a role in coming up with the "perfect-ish" kit which is likely always to fall short of the rivet counters' standards. I did one of Eduard's E-3 1/32 scale kits as the same a/c as shown in the pic I posted but did it buttoned up since my fingers and eyesight would've compromised it otherwise. Thing is, Eduard had moulded the pipe inlet/outlet connections on the glycol tank itself but probably thought taking it further, even in the Brassin package, was a step too far. Whatever the logic of this or a more detailed approach, yours is an Adolf Galland model to be proud of. Paul

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice job Ant, turned out very nicely in the end B) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks stew 

33 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

Your marble pre shade looks like it worked well, good effect, might have a go at that myself!

Thanks. I was a bit wary at first but its great. The effect looks much better in real life doesn't quite capture it in the photos to be honest 

2 hours ago, Franz75 said:

Nicely done Messer, I like it. Good color modulation, a bit of wash here and there will be nice. Nevertheless a very good job. 

Thanks Franz. It had A flory dark dirt wash which is very subtle. Trust me it's there 😉

3 hours ago, opus999 said:

Stunning work!  The paint work is fantastic and I love the detailed engine and subtle weathering/wear. 

Thanks very much for the kind comments! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thom216 said:

She didn't go together without some 'modelling' pains, but you sure did her right!

Thanks Thom. It was a challenge but looking back I did enjoy the build a lot. 

I'm hoping to build more 32nd scale WW2 aircraft and planning to pick up a few at Telford. It's a nice scale 

Oh  and thanks for the support throughout the build 😊