The classic Caravelle - Alitalia VI-N in 1/144

On 10/12/2019 at 11:00 PM, RidgeRunner said:

We'd spend many, many days on the terraces at GatwicK withing the SAM caravelles and DC-6s in that scheme. I remember I-DABL as being the sole SAM machine in that scheme. 

Spooky. I was probably there with you Martin. Gatwick was a weekly spotters trip down from Croydon, then every couple of months it was a Red Rover day to Heathrow!

Beautiful Caravelle there Dave!

Terry

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 8:38 PM, Skodadriver said:

What a wonderful story Jerzy-Wojtek! It's amazing to think that the models have survived undamaged for 55 years. I'd love to see the photo if you can find it.

I have found it - here it is:

48923439912_944a8b289f_b.jpg

I am holding Comet, my Brother Mike -  Caravelle :). !964, Kraków, Poland

Regards

JWM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JWM said:

I have found it - here it is:

I am holding Comet, my Brother Mike -  Caravelle :). !964, Kraków, Poland

Regards

JWM

That's a lovely picture Jerzy-Wojtek. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm sure it gives you many happy memories and it's wonderful that the two models still exist.

Dave G

• Like 1

This is truly stunning Dave, and your attention to detail is top notch!

The extra you have applied has definitely paid off, and really helps to bring the model to life. I’ve never done a ‘classic’ Airliner but I’m tempted having seen how awesome this looks. I quite like the idea of doing a 707.

Regards,

Alistair

• Like 1

That is a stunning build Dave, just goes to show what a skilled modeller can do. I think those cabin windows are fantastic. I may have to retro apply some when I get as far as the civil airliners I have stashed away.

Do they do then for A321's ?

Paul 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

That is a stunning build Dave, just goes to show what a skilled modeller can do. I think those cabin windows are fantastic. I may have to retro apply some when I get as far as the civil airliners I have stashed away.

Do they do then for A321's ?

Paul 

Yes. Authentic Airliners Decals do windows for the full A320 family.  I've used them several times, most recently here.

Having seen the Caravelle in person I can say David’s model is a stunner, along with the rest of his collection on display today at Bellahouston. I always look forward to speaking to David at Bellahouston and Perth and reviewing his collection . Always a source of inspiration , fantastic models there.  And of course David is also full of advice and extremely helpful. 

A pleasure  to meet you Sir, and Mrs Skodadriver. 

Hi Dave,

Another great model! You have been busy lately.

I didn't know Caravelles were still in operation when the green cheatline livery was introduced.

Nice work on the nose, I'd never noticed anything wrong with the Airfix nose until I compared it to the AA kit. You've definitely nailed it! Did you have any problems applying the cockpit decal after reworking the nose?

Good job you checked the window spacing too, it's something I do as a matter of course nowadays after too many incidences of misaligned windows or simply the window line being too long or short as it was designed for a different kit!

At least on the Caravelle when applying the windows individually one can't get them upside down!:whistle::tomato:

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Dave,

Another great model! You have been busy lately.

I didn't know Caravelles were still in operation when the green cheatline livery was introduced.

Nice work on the nose, I'd never noticed anything wrong with the Airfix nose until I compared it to the AA kit. You've definitely nailed it! Did you have any problems applying the cockpit decal after reworking the nose?

Good job you checked the window spacing too, it's something I do as a matter of course nowadays after too many incidences of misaligned windows or simply the window line being too long or short as it was designed for a different kit!

At least on the Caravelle when applying the windows individually one can't get them upside down!:whistle::tomato:

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian.

Upside down windows?? Wonder what made you think about that :hmmm:

No problems at all with the cockpit decal. Most of the reworking was below and ahead of it. I had taken the precaution of marking the rear corners of the Airfix windscreen before I sprayed the model and I used these marks to locate both the curves of the stripes and the windscreen itself. As usual I did a dummy run with photocopies before committing myself.

I found this site very enjoyable and informative. It contains a brief life history of every Alitalia aircraft from the Fiat G-12 to the Embraer E-190. Except for I-DABF which was written off and I-DABV which went to SAM all the Caravelle fleet operated until the mid 1970s. I'm subject to correction but I believe the green stripe was introduced with the arrival of the B747 in 1969/70 and I think most, possibly all, Caravelles carried it.

Dave G

On 10/19/2019 at 7:48 PM, Skodadriver said:

That's a lovely picture Jerzy-Wojtek. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm sure it gives you many happy memories and it's wonderful that the two models still exist.

Dave G

Dave, thank you! I am pleased to tell, that today I visited my Dad (age 89) and made that photo, so both models (though dirty) exists after 55 years!

48930394223_95f1aeb8b7_o.jpg

I hope your Caravelle also will be still there where it is after 55 years!

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1