Eduard's 1/72 MiG-21MF kits question

Wm Blecky

I have been looking at Eduard's 1/72 MiG-21MF kits, the interceptor version and Fighter Bomber.  Each box has a different sprue listed containing the fuselage amongst other bits.  My question is, can anyone tell me what, if anything, is actually different between those sprues?  I've been on Eduard's website and comparing their pictures of each sprue and other than the sprue's letter, I can not detect any difference.  What am I missing?  Is it in the panel line details of the fuselages? shape?

If anyone who those kits could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

MiG-21MF Fighter Bomber:

spacer.png

MiG-21 Interceptor:

spacer.png

The only thing I really have noticed is that there is a circular opening on the lower wing halves right by the u/c openings.  One appears bigger than on the other kit.  Could this be the difference???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Apex said:

Have you seen these pictures from Eduard?

No, I didn't - and thank you!!!

Now this begs the question, did one plant produce the interceptors while the other built fighter bombers?

Coincidentally, I did come across a company (Army Cast) that makes resin exhausts for the Fujimi kit for each of these plants.  Based on the pictures you provided, it will not be just as simple as substituting the exhausts.  Maybe a little rescribing will be in order. 

Edited by Wm Blecky
typo

My understanding (based on Eduard kit instructions and threads I have read here at Britmodeller) is that the "fighter bomber" is the Moscow built variant. The Moscow plant started building MiG-23s in 1975 and the production of MiG-21MFs was moved to Gorky (the "interceptor" variant). The Gorky plant was also building MiG-21bis and some changes were incorporated from bis to MF. I am not sure where the names "fighter bomber" and "interceptor" come from, I thought their capabilities were the same. Perhaps Eduard named them based on their roles in the Czechoslovak air force.

The Armycast exhausts are for Eduard kits, I've got one of each and it definitely says "for Eduard" in the package. I would not expect any major hassle in substituting these for the plastic parts.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 8:08 PM, Apex said:

My understanding (based on Eduard kit instructions and threads I have read here at Britmodeller) is that the "fighter bomber" is the Moscow built variant. The Moscow plant started building MiG-23s in 1975 and the production of MiG-21MFs was moved to Gorky (the "interceptor" variant). The Gorky plant was also building MiG-21bis and some changes were incorporated from bis to MF. I am not sure where the names "fighter bomber" and "interceptor" come from, I thought their capabilities were the same. Perhaps Eduard named them based on their roles in the Czechoslovak air force.

The Armycast exhausts are for Eduard kits, I've got one of each and it definitely says "for Eduard" in the package. I would not expect any major hassle in substituting these for the plastic parts.

I must need new reading glasses, you are quite correct those exhaust sections are indeed for the Eduard kit.  I just received my order from Army Cast and have placed another.

Their MiG-21 cockpit is indeed for the Fujimi kit and it is a beaut.  I am now left with 2 extra Eduard cockpit sets that I had planned to adapt to the Fujimi kit, but with these Army Cast sets, no need to, not at all!

spacer.png

I also ordered their exterior set (which includes an exhaust section - for the Fujimi kit! LOL).  It looks very promising:

spacer.png

Edited by Wm Blecky
typo
  • Like 2