1/48 - Bell AH-1G/Q/S Cobra/Sea Cobra/Tzefa by Special Hobby - released

Homebee

After the 1/72nd kits (link) Special Hobby is reported working for 2020 on a 1/48th Bell AH-1G Cobra/Sea Cobra family.

Info obtained from a Special Hobby representative at IPMS Belgium National/Plastic & Steel 2019.

To be followed.

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, FloydWerner said:

I hope they correct the tail rotor blades.  I’ve provided them with the proper pictures.  Their 1/72nd tail rotor blades were based on restored aircraft which used AH-1S/F wider blades

Floyd

Well if they don't, I'm sure someone will do resin bits and a full spread of decal sheets for the different variants.
If only we know of such a person..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not trying to downplay Floyd's amazing company or future endeavors, but we shouldn't have to rely on an AM source to provide the correct parts. Especially with something as critical as proper tail or main rotors **cough cough Kitty hawk cough cough**.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 9:49 AM, whiskey said:

Not trying to downplay Floyd's amazing company or future endeavors, but we shouldn't have to rely on an AM source to provide the correct parts. Especially with something as critical as proper tail or main rotors **cough cough Kitty hawk cough cough**.

I completely agree.  I’d rather not do any resin for any kit and stick to decals

Floyd

• Like 6

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Bell AH-1G/S Cobra/Sea Cobra by Special Hobby - release in 2021

Confirmed

Source: https://www.specialhobby.info/2021/04/news-from-special-hobby-0421.html

(...)So, what new kit might deserve your eager attention now? Will it be the P-40M Warhawk / Kittyhawk Mk.III (SH72382), Mirage F.1AZ/CZ ‘The South African Commie Killers’ (SH72435) or even the Tachikawa Ki-54 Hei – Otsu – Kó  Hickory family? Or perhaps the night figther Meteors such as the Mk.14? Or even the quarter scale AH-1G Cobra or the Heinkel He 177A? (...)

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Bell AH-1G/Q Cobra/Sea Cobra by Special Hobby - sprues - release in 2021

We don't have all the moulds done yet, we are working on clear parts and some other small things. But a big part of Cobra is done, or rather the first test shots are done. These will be tweaked as well, for example part numbers will be added to the moulds. But already now the mouldings look very good.

We are planning, similar to the 1/72 models, more boxes. The choice of camouflage will be based on the 1/72 models.

With seven boxes in 1/72 plus rebox by Revell I guess a lot of schemes will be available.

• Like 4

This is Special Hobby first full run injection kit in 1/48 ( aside from V-1 ), I wish them best sales so they can continue with full run 1/48 kits, and hope they

did better homework than on their 1/72 kit, that has more than few mistakes and omissions.

4 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

This is Special Hobby first full run injection kit in 1/48 ( aside from V-1 )

Well... V1 was released nearly 20 years ago by MPM Productions. OTOH at least two 1/48 kits released in last two years are new tool made by Special Hobby and were made in metal moulds - 2019 Siebel Si 204 and 2020 Grunau Baby IIB.

28 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Well... V1 was released nearly 20 years ago by MPM Productions. OTOH at least two 1/48 kits released in last two years are new tool made by Special Hobby and were made in metal moulds - 2019 Siebel Si 204 and 2020 Grunau Baby IIB.

V1 is a new tool, but right you are, Grunau Baby is full run too, Siebel being partially ( only small parts )

Edited by Thomas V.

31 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

V1 is a new tool

New tool V1 was released in 1/32 → https://www.specialhobby.net/2018/08/sh32071-fieseler-fi-103-v-1-sh32074.html 

Special Hobby (SH48190) kit in 1/48 (here) is rebox of the old MPM (48049) kit (here).

31 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

Siebel being partially ( only small parts )

Transparent parts too. But indeed, Siebel is hybrid of metal and galvanized moulds.

Still - AH-1 is not their first full metal moulds kit and, much more important, technology of manufacturing moulds is meaningless. The most important thing is the design of the model - if it's bad, you'll get a poor kit, whether it's made of metal, galvanised or resin moulds. Siebel, designed in 3D and released in hybrid technology, is excellent kit. At the same time, I am pretty sure that we could put together a long list of poor models made from metal moulds and released by various companies in the last decade or so.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...