1/32 Mosquito Question

BlackAck

The postie delivered Revell's 1:32 Mosquito IV in the post today and I have been thinking about how to build it.  In particular, the SEAC silver and blue scheme caught my eye.  What aftermarket bits and bobs would I need to save up for build up an accurate Mossie, since there are few kits in this scale?

BlackAck,

It is an old-fashioned kit but it's perfectly buildable and can be impressive at the end. I think to dismiss this kit harshly would be an act of snobbery.  Not everyone has £150-plus to drop on the HK kit and the Revell one is a long way from being the worst of their 1970s 1/32 kits. It is exceptional value for money at the prices you can pick them up for. 

The basic airframe shape is not so bad - much better than the Monogram 1/48 kit - and some of the detail errors can be fixed pretty easily using basic modelling skills, which is just as well as there really isn't any significant after-market help. (There was a vac-form canopy by Tasman but I've never actually seen one) https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tasman-model-products-ta257-havilland-mosquito-mkiv-canopy--1002266 

While the kit can benefit from some minor re-scribing, its smooth fabric-covered wooden airframe means you don't have a huge number of panel lines to worry about.

Here is a nice one to inspire you 

And in this review thread there are some useful tips here on things to modify if you wish  

• Like 2

Hi

Tasman available here

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-planes-canopies-tasman-model-tas-ta257?zenid=0a60c6be58a8080a6086c50164c798e2

i purchased from them twice great service each time

i havent used the canopies yet 

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

BlackAck,

It is an old-fashioned kit but it's perfectly buildable and can be impressive at the end. I think to dismiss this kit harshly would be an act of snobbery.  Not everyone has £150-plus to drop on the HK kit and the Revell one is a long way from being the worst of their 1970s 1/32 kits. It is exceptional value for money at the prices you can pick them up for. 

The basic airframe shape is not so bad - much better than the Monogram 1/48 kit - and some of the detail errors can be fixed pretty easily using basic modelling skills, which is just as well as there really isn't any significant after-market help. (There was a vac-form canopy by Tasman but I've never actually seen one) https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tasman-model-products-ta257-havilland-mosquito-mkiv-canopy--1002266 

While the kit can benefit from some minor re-scribing, its smooth fabric-covered wooden airframe means you don't have a huge number of panel lines to worry about.

I could not agree more. Not everyone has tamyia/HK money and this kit despite its age makes up to a good model with some old skool modelling skillz

Julien

• Like 2

Now BlackAck has the kit, there's not a lot of value in arguing the toss about how good/bad it is, or fighting over the price of alternatives.  How about actually answering his question?

The Aluminium/PRU Blue Mosquitos were all Mk.34s, so the first step will be to find the cowlings suitable for the longer two-stage Merlins with tropical filters, the bulged bomb bay, the modified canopy, the larger underwing fuel tanks, and different tyres/wheel hubs.

As a 1/72 modeller, I haven't the faintest idea where to find any of these for 1/32nd, and I suspect most if not all are not available.  If by some mischance I found myself having to make this kit, I'd go looking for a more achievable alternative scheme.  Guidelines' Camouflage Colours on the PR Mosquitos is a good source.

Thank you for the helpful advice guys.  As beautifully engineered as the Tamiya or HK kits are, the price point of the Revell kit was too good for me to pass up on.  It's nice to know that it can build into a good model.

• Like 1