1/72 Sea Harrier

I thought I'd start another classic FAA jet while waiting for the Buccaneer to dry. I'll carry on with this once I finish the Bucc, but here's the usual box and decal shot for openers.

Seems like a decent kit for its age, I'm no rivet counter so it'll do for me. I'll be making the 899 sqn option on the box art, in its early EDSG/white colours. Not with the Sea Eagles though, just drop tanks.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

The upper wings are a really good fit, no filler needed at all, huzzah!

spacer.png

I thought it'd be easier and neater to spray the upper surfaces without the lower wings, save having to mask them. I can spray these separately before gluing them up to the upper wings. That's the plan anyway!

spacer.png

• Like 5

On 10/12/2019 at 6:45 PM, Lord Riot said:

I thought it'd be easier and neater to spray the upper surfaces without the lower wings, save having to mask them. I can spray these separately before gluing them up to the upper wings. That's the plan anyway!

Don't forget that the upper EDSG colour wraps round the leading edges of both wings and tailplanes for a short distance underneath. 

• Thanks 1

Hey, it's great to see this. :like:

By sheer coincidence, I have a 1/72 Hasegawa AV-8A which I'm going to build as an RAF machine (there's an alternative set of decals in the box). The cockpit in your's looks rather nice, far more detailed than in mine....all I've got is a seat and an instrument panel of sorts (with a decal). I do have a pilot though which is nice.

I'll be watching this with interest and I still can't believe how quickly you put kits together; you started this at 8.30 Friday evening and it's threequarters complete already! 😉

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps! Perhaps sometimes I'm a little fast for my own good, but there'll be a break now while I wait for delivery of some proper satin white spray paint.

Good point about the leading edge undersides, I'll see how easy it is to mask them. Maybe I'll take the pylons off first.

While I'm waiting for the white paint I might make a start on the FAA Phantom! Same colours as the Sea Harrier I assume?

• Like 1

Second coat of EDSG after spraying the undersides white. I found it's easier to do the undersides first as there's generally less area to mask when spraying the upper surfaces then. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 10/14/2019 at 6:48 AM, Timmas said:

By sheer coincidence, I have a 1/72 Hasegawa AV-8A which I'm going to build as an RAF machine (there's an alternative set of decals in the box). The cockpit in your's looks rather nice, far more detailed than in mine....all I've got is a seat and an instrument panel of sorts (with a decal). I do have a pilot though which is nice.

I believe the Hasegawa GR.1/AV-8 kit is one of the later Frog toolings, vs the Sea Harrier being a Hasegawa original (ergo the improved detail).

• Like 1

Main colours on and dry. Looking quite shiny and a reasonable demarcation line. On its best side anyway, the masking tape pulled up a bit of white on the other side so I touched it up with Humbrol 130.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Starting to look more like a Sea Harrier now. I used some dirt wash underneath too, especially around and behind the exhaust nozzles.

Just a few bits of touching up and detail needed. I'll probably leave the Sidewinder rails empty; being the training unit I assume 899 Sqn didn't carry them too often. Maybe a finless training round on one?

spacer.png

• Like 6

On 10/16/2019 at 8:10 PM, CT7567 said:

I believe the Hasegawa GR.1/AV-8 kit is one of the later Frog toolings, vs the Sea Harrier being a Hasegawa original (ergo the improved detail).

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info 😉