gloster gauntlet silver paint scheme - grey cowling and fuselage?

Ralph

Hallo all,

I've bought the AZ Gloster Gauntlet with a view to doing a silver schemed 74 sqn example. I've seen some models with grey engine cowling and forward fuselage sides, and some completely silver. The few photos of the real thing I've found seem to vary; does anyone have anything definitive on this?

Cheers, R

Hi Ralph,

The grey you mention might be intended to represent Cerrux Grey on the metal parts (cowlings etc.) and Aluminium dope on the fabric surfaces. Cerrux Grey appears more or less identical to 'silver' dope in black and white pictures.

Cheers,

Stew

• 2 weeks later...

Cerrux Grey was not used by the RAF it was a FAA anti-corrosion paint for fleet aircraft.  The RAF polished the metal panels  and the fabric had Aluminium dope.  This dope is not bright, it has a dull greyish tinge which is why you see the difference in photographs.  

• Like 1

I think that the dark panels on the Gauntlets may well have been Cerrux grey, as delivered from Glosters,with the rest in Aluminium dope. The fad for polished metal and it's time consuming upkeep was fading as the political priorities were changing. Some Gauntlets and then Gladiators would be be delivered with the metal panels in a Silver finish which was in all probability an anti corrosion Cerrux type finish. Again with the rest of the fabric parts in Aluminium dope.

As an aside, the Devon's of Transport Command Headquarters Flight at RAF Upavon in my early Gliding years were burnished bright natural metal. Very soon it was discovered that this over enthusiastic polishing was seriously reducing the panel thickness and especially the flush rivet heads and the practice was stopped.

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since my former reply I've taken a look at a number of Cerrux Grey photos and also messaged a contact at the RAF Museum. Unfortunately  he can't throw any light on the subject, but I now think that the colour of the panels on the Gauntlet could well be an anodised finish and it's not dissimilar to that found on the early pictures of the rear fuselage of the prototype Spitfire before it was painted.

John