British Infantry Arm of Service markings

missile-monkey

Hello everyone,

Can anyone help me out? I am trying to find WW2 British Infantry Arm of Service decals for vehicles. There are load of AoS markings for armoured divisions but I can't find any for the PBI. 

Once again your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

MM

How about these in 1/76?

http://aleranminis.com/index.php/store/decals/uk-9-british-infantry-airborne-service-markings-europe-44-45-detail

I got mine from Millicast of Glasgow.  I thought they'd shut up shop but the website still seems to be active.  Maybe I confused them with someone else.  They always used to be at the IPMS Nats.

http://www.milicast.com/

You need to be wary of AoS markings. Whilst there were commonly used numbering sequences, you'll also find that completely different sequences (and colours) were used in different theatres. The first stage would be to identify the unit you want to model, the theatre of operations you want to place it in and the period of the war. Also, if a regiment moved from one brigade to another for example, it is likely the AoS would change. A unit did not necessarily retain the same number and coloured backing square for it's entire existence.

For virtually every 'rule' about the use of AoS you will probably find at least one exception where somebody did it differently.

John

Edited by John Tapsell

You don't say what scale you're looking for or, as noted above, what theatre or time period as they varied by both.  By "infantry division" I presume you mean non-armoured divisions?  British "infantry" divisions were not formally designated as such, just as "divisions".  Only the 9 armoured and 3 AA divisions included their function in their titles. 

A few of the AOS were the same between both division types, but yes the majority were different.  In NW Europe, for example. Div HQ for both should have been 40 on black.  

Non-armoured divisions could also be larger, potentially having up to 3 brigades whereas armoured divs generally only had 2, with a greater variety of AOS.

In 1/35, Star have decal sets for 3rd and 43rd Divs and Archer have a mixed set for "NWE Infantry Divs".  Archer also have a mix and match set for RA units.  Accurate Armour do, or did, a set for "infantry" divs and corps.

In 1/72 and 1/48, Peddinghaus have a couple of sets that might be useful.  I believe that you can still pick up Skytrex 1/76 sets on eBay, maybe elsewhere.

In 1/56, Dom's Decals have a good range.  Might be usable for 1/48 as actual size could vary.

Making AOS from scratch is not difficult for most of them - certainly those on a single colour.  In most cases they will be a 2-digit white number on a plain coloured square.  Plain coloured decal sheet and stripes in various widths are available from various manufacturers.  As are both dry-rub and waterslide numbers.

Hi Das Abteilung,

Sorry should have said. 1/72 / 20mm scale.  51 Highland Division in North West Europe 1944 to the end in 45.. Will be attempting to model soft skin vehicles, lorries from some of the battalions, and Quads towing 17 and 25 pounder guns.   That's the plan anyway.....

Regards

MM

On 10/13/2019 at 12:07 PM, badger said:

Hi 

Check out a company called skytrex.

https://www.skytrex.com/51-20mm-176th-scale-decals

They should do everything you need - used them for years - decent decals.

All the best

Ben

Hello Badger,

Thanks for the reply and I apologise for taking so long to reply to you.  I did find the Skytrex site but I could only find AoS markings for armoured divisions and I was looking specifically for infantry division AoS markings. I went with Seahawk's suggestion and ordered from Millicast. They should be here in a couple of days time.

Thanks again 

Regards

MM

1 minute ago, missile-monkey said:

Hello Badger,

Thanks for the reply and I apologise for taking so long to reply to you.  I did find the Skytrex site but I could only find AoS markings for armoured divisions and I was looking specifically for infantry division AoS markings. I went with Seahawk's suggestion and ordered from Millicast. They should be here in a couple of days time.

Thanks again 

Regards

MM

Hi MM

No worries - may not have read your initial post clearly enough as hadn't realised you were after the infantry AOS signs. My bad.

Milicast are pretty decent - I have a few of their offerings in the stash 

All the best

Ben