Alexei Leonov RIP

bentwaters81tfw

Sad news. He was the bravest of the brave, carrying out the first EVA when nobody knew what he would face. Had the Soviets reached the Moon, Leonov's name would have been one of the first to be considered.

The Space Age is old enough that the fit young men who made those early flights are now passing away from natural causes.

• Like 3

I had the good fortune to meet Colonel Leonov at the "Cosmonauts" exhibition at the Science Museum a few years ago. I feel privileged to have shaken his hand.

Покойся с миром, мой друг.

• Like 1

My build of a Soviet LK-1 on the lunar surface from last year will now become a tribute to this brave cosmonaut. If the Soviets had been able to get their manned moon landing project act together, it is almost certain that Alexei Leonov would have been the first Russian (if not the first man) on the moon. I'm glad I put a cosmonaut figure in the diorama - 

spacer.png

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 7

On 10/12/2019 at 2:55 PM, MadNurseGaz said:

I had the good fortune to meet Colonel Leonov at the "Cosmonauts" exhibition at the Science Museum a few years ago. I feel privileged to have shaken his hand.

Покойся с миром, мой друг.

Oh wow that is awesome still I'm sure he lived life👍

Wonderful human being, full of life an humour. I had a privilege to talk to him at Piccadilly Waterstones four years ago, have his signature on Soyuz-Apollo post stamp. Farewell, The Hero of the Humankind!

On 10/13/2019 at 9:12 AM, Eric Mc said:

My build of a Soviet LK-1 on the lunar surface from last year will now become a tribute to this brave cosmonaut. If the Soviets had been able to get their manned moon landing project act together, it is almost certain that Alexei Leonov would have been the first Russian (if not the first man) on the moon. I'm glad I put a cosmonaut figure in the diorama - 

spacer.png

Lovely model but shouldn't the lander be positioned so that there are footprints at the base of the ladder?

Alexei leaped off the ladder - he was so happy to be the first cosmonaut on the moon. He said, in Russian of course, "Hah, Comrade Armstrong, so much for your "giant leap for mankind. THIS is what you call a giant leap".

(The lander isn't stuck to the base so its orientation changes every time I move it about).

• Like 1

I've had this on my Sky box for ages but haven't got round to watching it yet, mainly because I usually watch TV while multitasking and anything with subtitles obviously demands full attention. (Not because my lips get tired, you horrible lot!)