Bombay interior color

gamevender

I'm woking on the Valom Bristol Bombay and the kit instructions call for the interior to be painted "Stredni Barva Kamene", which if my Czech is any good, which it isn't, means literally "medium color stones". They translate it as "Pale Stone", but the color chip they give is a dark tan. Anyone have any idea what color the inside of these aircraft were painted?

Edited by gamevender

It doesn't look dark but with those old photos, red can look black and blue disappears and green looks like silver, or whatever depending on the film type used. Whatever it is, if it is aluminum, it doesn't look like it has the "sheen" of bare natural metal, so it was probably at least painted something. 

It has plywood floors, so maybe that is what they are referring to?

The fuselage - metal construction, apparently Alclad, which as I understand it usually has branding on it. I can't make out any branding so this Alclad either doesn't have branding or as others have said, likely painted. My guess is aluminium or interior green paint.

The joy of it is no-one is going to be able to prove you wrong! :)

Oh, wait, as soon as you have finished the model someone will come up with a colour photo ..... hmmm.

PR

Not Interior Green, which was a US colour.  I suspect you meant Grey Green (sometimes referred to as Aircraft Grey Green) which was used a lot for British WW2 aircraft but may be a little late for the  Bombay.  A paler green was seen on some prewar aircraft, perhaps closer to Eau-de-Nil if not that indeed.

True, but from the tones of that picture almost certainly not Aluminium and probably not as pale as Eau-de-Nil (which was never an approved colour for aircraft anyway, but some pale green was seen on interiors early in the war).

Edited by Graham Boak

On 10/13/2019 at 9:01 AM, dogsbody said:

It's hard to tell from old B&W pictures.

On 10/14/2019 at 12:28 AM, europapete said:

the Bombay interior was aircraft grey-green 

There is a degree of conflict in these quotes. I wonder if the second one has discovered a painting spec for Bombays? I would be most interested to know more.