RNZAF de Havilland Vampire - Revell 1/72

Hi folks - so this is my latest - The Revell boxing of the Special hobby de Havilland Vampire - Mk4. I did this as another experiment with Alclad paints - I wanted to see if I could recreate a version of High speed silver by starting with a high sheen finish and winding it down to a more accurate portrayal with weathering - The experiment ultimately failed with the finish ending up basically as NMF which wasn't ideal - but it was still fun to do -  Saying that, under some light conditions it does work - but fails as soon as you shine a light on it... as with the images below. 

Painted with Alclad - with Mr Hobby GX2 for the gloss black base - Weathered with oils and AK emamel washes - added Eduard interior PE set and modified the engine nozzle with some evergreen plastic tubing. Put in the rivets with the Rosie the riveter tool. RNZAF decals from Old Model Decals here in NZ. 

1bt6i5P.jpg

pgS1JoW.jpg

wS9FFEa.jpg

Dhs3B11.jpg

UOVXF3h.jpg

8nqMwVc.jpg

GLnwftc.jpg

3ESA5N4.jpg

2LlnIXt.jpg

Here's a shot I did outside, just to show how the light changes the finish quite dramatically: 

M0hae7u.jpg

WIP is here if you're interested: 

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 26

Oooh, nice and shiny!

At some point the paint may have been stripped off on the real deal, prior to repainting perhaps?  Did they ever wear camouflage? Call it a snapshot of that time.

Or not, as it looks pretty damn fine in any case.

It's looking a bit overcast outside there. Which certainly tones the finish down nicely, but I still reckon you'd need to keep an eye out to keep magpies from trying to pinch it!

• Thanks 1