Airfield vehicles – A universal tribute to the groundcraft

Toryu

I've started an airfield control van using the chassis from the Airfix using the chassis from the Bowser as my starting point.

I have gotten myself hung up on the details as in do I want to do one with the windows at one end or just with the small windows and how much interior detail do I want to put in it?

I did get a vacuformed B-17 nose for the roof and have cut out the main pieces but still playing with the idea.

• Like 1

Good morning,

This thread is a delight to the eye. It gives a lot of ideas.

I present a new vehicle that was found on American airfields during WWII;
It is a Federal 606-C2 Wrecker:

21_fed10.jpg

I built the model of the Garwood crane with the 15 foot curved boom to fit on the Federal 605 chassis.

22_fed10.jpg

This master is now moulded by the craftsman DESKit who will market it from September.
I will soon show you the 606-D version which is equipped with an 18 foot straight crane boom. 

17_fed10.jpg

Here are my US airfield heavy vehicles:

23_fed10.jpg

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

Edited by Snafu35
  • Like 19

Hello Mickael,

Thank you for your appreciation.
I am absolutely sorry to say that it is a 1/72 scale model. The F1 tanker trailer is the Airfix kit, the wheels have been changed to the Federal 605 tractor diameter.  

This is the website of the manufacturer DESKit:

http://deskit.online.fr/01_systeme/pages_systeme/home_page.htm

The latest 1/72 models (600 gal. trailer, Federal 606-C2, Federal 606-D and REO XS-28) are not yet available, but are expected to be on sale in September 2022. 

DESKit also offers a number of 1/48 resin vehicles and figures.

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Thanks 3

I posted my Blackbird ground equipment but didn’t include one with the Blackbird.  I had more equipment & a tanker available for this but couldn’t get them all in shot.  So just the step van roof, start cart, tug and ladders

kIRP95X.jpg

• Like 7

Just been mucking about with a simple conversion of the venerable 1/76th scale Airfix Bofors gun tractor.

1/76th Morris Commercial CS8 GS

1/76th Morris Commercial CS8 GS

That’s another typical RAF vehicle for photo set dressing purposes. It still needs a census number and the gas warning patch, but otherwise I’m happy with how it’s turned out.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Snafu35 said:

Hello Mickael,

Thank you for your appreciation.
I am absolutely sorry to say that it is a 1/72 scale model. The F1 tanker trailer is the Airfix kit, the wheels have been changed to the Federal 605 tractor diameter.  

This is the website of the manufacturer DESKit:

http://deskit.online.fr/01_systeme/pages_systeme/home_page.htm

The latest 1/72 models (600 gal. trailer, Federal 606-C2, Federal 606-D and REO XS-28) are not yet available, but are expected to be on sale in September 2022. 

DESKit also offers a number of 1/48 resin vehicles and figures.

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

Hi Eric

been struggling to get the page to translate but i shall preserve as there are a number of nice items in their listings  . . .

Ian

autocar-ca_03.JPG

Autocar CA converted from an 1/72 BZ35 fuel truck

autocar-ca_04.JPG

autocar-ca_02.JPG

I made it longer than the original PST kit and took the Wheels from an Hasegawa CCKW truck.

Tankbil_109.JPG

Tankbil_110.JPG

Academy T-stoff truck rebuilt to it look more civilian.

Tankbil_101.JPG

I tried with a simple repaint but it didn't look right

Tankbil_103.JPG

so I had to rebuild it .

wc52_26.JPG

wc52_25.JPG

Dodge WC52 Truck. Esci 1/72.

wc52_29.JPG

Now I need a yellow Skyraider for it.

Edited by Orso
  • Like 10

Here are a few pics of my Hasegawa 1/72 Ground Equipment and JB Models Bedford MK Bowser. I added glazing, clear amber beacon and improved the mirrors on the Hasegawa tractor.

Ground Equipment

Bedford MK Bowser

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Many years ago I measured up a former RAF OIL bowser trailer and so when Airfix brought their model out I had to build it.

The main issue with the kit is that the wheelbase is around 12ft (actual length) which is to long, it should measure a wheelbase of 9ft.  (36mm)

The actual bowser was also used to supply fuel (100 Octane) l to smaller single  and twin engined  aircraft

Cutting out 12mm of the centre section

Re-supply-Oil-Bowser-4.jpg

Cutting 12mm out of the chassis giving the correct wheelbase of 36mm (9feet)

Re-supply-Oil-Bowser-3.jpg

The revised model  . . .

OIL-DB-tractors.jpg

I even cut the chassis back for a 9ft trailer on which to build the airfield caravan 

Airfield-Caravan-5.jpg

Thanks for looking in   . . .

Ian 

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 7

Trying to get 1/48 US airbase vehicles is tricky.  Although I got a tip a while back about 1/46 Maisto diecast trucks.  This is two of them with the Jeep from a 1/48 CH-53 helicopter kit.  I fancied making the Jeep into a bobtail

8EaOBa6.jpg

And this is how the bobtail turned out

DAwuJiP.jpg

I wish Revell would put out the Jeep & howitzer sprue on its own!

• Like 7

A wonderful conversion @bar side!

There is a Tamiya 1/48 WWII jeep, and Bandai had one back in the seventies (eBay?). I agree that more vehicles should become available for quarterscale airfields.

• Like 1

I am also using the trailer for the bowser for an USAAF caravan.  The printout of one that I have scale out to the same as the kit size trailer.  If it should be shorter, that isn't happening. 🙂