Airfield vehicles – A universal tribute to the groundcraft

Toryu

20 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I do a fair amount of civvy/interwar builds in 1/72 and 1/48 and the Oxford range is a Godsend. snipping off the mounting nubs, a wash or two and if required a blitz of matt varnish does wonders for them! I wonder what will be announced in their 2020 range - maybe thats something for The Rumourmonger!

TT

Thanks TT, just had a look at the Oxford Diecast homepage and didn’t find any support vehicles in 1/72, but a lot in 1/76. Are you using 1/76 GSE together with your 1/72 models, and if yes, how far off are they in scale please? Apologies if this has been discussed elsewere before. 

Cheers

Johnny b 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

1/72 and 1/48 and the Oxford range

20 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Are you using 1/76 GSE together with your 1/72 models, and if yes, how far off are they in scale please?

1/76 is 5.5% smaller, that's 6 mm per every 4 in. Shouldn't be visible actually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Johnny,

Yes I use the 1/76 (HO) vehicles - they're close enough for me - and for anyone who has built an Airfix-based dio over the past 50 years after all their vehicle stuff was all 1/76! They're close enough IMHO - 1/72  is 105% of 1/76 and conversely 1/76 is approx 95% of 1/72 :) if that helps - or to put it another way 76" real inches in 1/76 is 1" and 72" in 1/72 is 1" or 4" inch difference at full size... I think its pretty negligible - people use railway stuff (HO) on 1/72 dios all the time.

Basically if there's an alternative as a kit in the correct scale I'll use it but as mentioned above there isnt much affordable GSE so Oxford is fine by me. Equally its more of a push but I have used 1/43 vehicles with 1/48 aircraft and 1/35 figures with 1/32 aircraft but its entirely up to you old chap.

ATB

TT

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT
  • Thanks 1

Some examples - 

1/72 with 1/76 vehicles 

49338918612_6adc02d774_k.jpg81288398_10156855024235976_6320532627946209280_o by Ben Brown, on Flickr

49069291233_057c25e0d6_k.jpg25586836_10155119858355976_2137417151022351214_o by Ben Brown, on Flickr

49064381383_73f8bcccde_k.jpg11147023_10153045183085976_8375089697319075520_o by Ben Brown, on Flickr

49064065261_7e7decb349_k.jpg10991555_10152628938370976_2982966484854794969_o by Ben Brown, on Flickr

49060079611_9d0299f61a_k.jpg75594299_10156664347900976_8061474565995364352_o by Ben Brown, on Flickr

49060038026_6727430417_b.jpg41872913_10155760371795976_2319689429725216768_o by Ben Brown, on Flickr

1/48 with 1/43 vehicle (note this was to denote it was the BOB Movie!) 

49064329808_abe6a66081_k.jpg12747974_10153326251925976_89420073086534765_o by Ben Brown, on Flickr

ATB

TT

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot both of you for the explanations and pictures, much appreciated! 

Very nice dio’s TT, combining 1/72 with 1/76 looks perfectly alright to me. 

Where I reside there is only one shop with a decent selection of scale models, so when ever I come across a figures or vehicle set in 1/72, I always make sure to grab it. I might have to order some 1/72 carrier deck crew and equipment for some of my future navy builds, as I haven’t come across these yet. 

Fear my first visit on the Oxford webshop could be expensive ... 😀

Thanks again chaps! 

• Like 2

As a tip mate - you'll pay full RRP with Oxford - try eBay - there is plenty of competition - and for our purposes - ie using them on a dio not putting them in a case and going ooh - its well worth sniffing out the odd local toy fair or train show -

I dont know about anyone else but finding plastic (not those godawful vinyl sets Airfix does) figures for airfields or even civilian figures is pretty difficult - also the modelscene sets are IMHO jolly expensive and varyingly not that well moulded - you can pick up the old Airfix  railway sets for a couple of quid at a train show - viz passengers, civilians, railway workers etc - and they are very nice indeed and moulded in plastic!

Also the Airfix control tower, refuelling, emergency and recovery sets come with some figures, some are quite nice but get the early boxings if you can, the later issues are suffering a bit!  

Revell did some excellent 1/72 RAF figures if a little stingy at only one sprue in the box - but they are impossible to find now - I dont think they sold that well as The Works remaindered them for 99p each - I wish I'd stocked up - I desperately need some now!

TT 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Revell did some excellent 1/72 RAF figures 

Afaict they sourced them from somewhere else, Italeri did nearly identical sets.

• 3 weeks later...

G'day people,

I was not aware of this thread until Toryu brought it to my attention - am I am very glad that he did 👍

I recently completed the Airfix Albion 3 point fueller

I seem to have a small but growing fleet of 1/48 aircraft support vehicles and this seems like an apt place to display them.

005_zps1tgyqxhd.jpg

009_zps54voxen7.jpg

008_zpsejxtrlrd.jpg

The yellow tractor is a 1/48 Skunkworks Models kit that arrived with my Kinetic Harrier kit as a package deal

001_zpscl0gjkuo.jpg

DSCN4593_zpsdudwmoji.jpg

007_zpsoily7fdt.jpg

009_zpsnwkak5pk.jpg

007_zpsmiskwbmo.jpg

010_zpsgbistr3p.jpg

The white contraption is used on US Navy carriers and it was included with the Kinetic EA-6B prowler kit,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

• Greg B locked this topic
  • Greg B unlocked this topic
On 09/02/2020 at 07:56, Pappy said:

G'day people,

I was not aware of this thread until Toryu brought it to my attention - am I am very glad that he did 👍

I recently completed the Airfix Albion 3 point fueller

I seem to have a small but growing fleet of 1/48 aircraft support vehicles and this seems like an apt place to display them.

The yellow tractor is a 1/48 Skunkworks Models kit that arrived with my Kinetic Harrier kit as a package deal

The white contraption is used on US Navy carriers and it was included with the Kinetic EA-6B prowler kit,

cheers,

Pappy

Very nice collection - shame that the selection of support vehicles in 1/72 scale is some what limited. 

Edited by Julien
Dont quote images in a reply

Here's one I had forgotten about, an Airfix Matador used to add a bit of jazz to an Airfix Lancaster converted back to the second prototype. The rather fetching sky was added in Photoshop. Not exactly the last word in airfield accessories, but it works for me.

IMG-4715.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/11/2019 at 12:47, TonyW said:

I used a refinished Matchbox Commer van as a generic BOAC support vehicle for my FROG  1.96 Comet build. Not exactly an accurate copy of any real BOAC vehicle, but close enough for Government work. It's there to lend a hand with the overall feel of the posed model rather than a model in its own right.

IMG-9877.jpg

Here's what I started with...

IMG-9434.jpg

... and the real deal. Time available stopped any thoughts of cutting out windows etc. on the Matchbox model.

Hey! Where did you find my Matchbox Nestle's van? I haven't seen that since about 1966.

Chris

• Haha 1

I love adding support vehicles and figures to my 1/144 scale scenes as they can be rather diminutive without, although a lot of improvisation is often required.

My 1/144 Mustang pilots at RAF Boxted hitched a lift on a whitemetal Dodge WC from Arrowhead Miniatures - all figures are suitably butchered N Gauge figures, encouraged into stances by a scalpel saw.

Meanwhile my 1/144 Bird Dog has an N Gauge Nissen hut, playing the role of a Quonset hut in Alaska, Summer '67.

spacer.png

And for some even more unusual scales:

My 1/100 diorama representing the first flight of the Komet with pilot Wolfgang Spate talking with Hanna Reitsch and Herman Goring uses a Zvezda Opel Blitz truck and 1/100 generic figures with some head swapping and detailed painting.

The 1/288 scale An-32P is serviced by a whitemetal GHQ 1/285 Kaz66 fuel tanker in civil colours and a basic plastic landrover in the same scale from eBay, plus some generic 1/300 figures.

spacer.png

• Like 10

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

G'day people,

I have the Airfix 1/72 WWII RAF Bomber re-supply set and I have a couple of questions regarding colours. The overall colour for the vehicles as indicated by the instructions is Humbrol 29 (matt Dark Earth) with a black disruptive pattern.

This seems to agree with many of the fine examples in this topic, but disagrees with the images on the box sleeve (including pictures of the built models), which display a distinctly greener hue, closer to olive drab.  I realise that the box top is not a definitive reference and the assembled kits may have been painted before the production instructions were available  to the builder. Was Dark Earth  the 'standard' colour for WWII UK based vehicles or were there  other variations?

My second question is in regards to the oil bowser internals. The kit instructions simply state that the internal details are all painted Dark Earth. I suspect the cabinet interior would be painted white but this is just a guess based on period pics of the Albion 3 point re-fueller,

does anyone have any reference pics of the cabinet details?

cheers

Pappy

Hi all,

I am glad I found this thread again! So precious vehicles I like to see near planes on dioramas.

So, I am here with my Tamiya GMC fuel truck in Esso colors (Vingtor decals 😍) and 48th scale. This truck will go near a norwegian F-84G Thunderjet witch is (one of!) my current build.

It is painted in a Tamiya mat red over a grey primer. The paint was sanded to get a smooth surface. For the moment, my Sabre takes the place and is waiting for the Thunderjet!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lolo

• Like 16

This fuel truck looks fantastic. A very nice variation of the GMC topic in a great livery. Très bien modelé!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Toryu said:

This fuel truck looks fantastic. A very nice variation of the GMC topic in a great livery. Très bien modelé!

Thank you very much, Toryu!

Merci

Lolo

17 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day people,

I have the Airfix 1/72 WWII RAF Bomber re-supply set and I have a couple of questions regarding colours. The overall colour for the vehicles as indicated by the instructions is Humbrol 29 (matt Dark Earth) with a black disruptive pattern.

This seems to agree with many of the fine examples in this topic, but disagrees with the images on the box sleeve (including pictures of the built models), which display a distinctly greener hue, closer to olive drab.  I realise that the box top is not a definitive reference and the assembled kits may have been painted before the production instructions were available  to the builder. Was Dark Earth  the 'standard' colour for WWII UK based vehicles or were there  other variations?

My second question is in regards to the oil bowser internals. The kit instructions simply state that the internal details are all painted Dark Earth. I suspect the cabinet interior would be painted white but this is just a guess based on period pics of the Albion 3 point re-fueller,

cheers

Pappy

For the colour of the vehicles, I'll let others who are more knowledgeable answer that. As for the colour inside the doors of the Albion refueler, I'd go with white.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.248474884.2020792

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.164652220.2020792

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.135793970.2020792

All other RAF fueling vehicles would be painted white inside the doors.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.214844436.2020792

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.180881700.2020792

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.171778211.2020792

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.236274818.2020792

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.214836372.2020792

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

G'day Dogsbody,

I have to  agree with the white cabinet interior. I have had some additional info from other BMers inthe WWII a/c thread reference colours, but the pics you have included are really interesting. The pic 3rd from the bottom, the oil tender exterior colour hues match the aircraft pretty closely. The last pic with the Mk. Vb spit is also interesting as the tractor appears a blue grey colour. If this is correct then this may be a pre-war colour which the RAF adopted after the war although usually this has a yellow upper surface ? Could it be that the colour balance is off and that the blueish colour is actually an earth tone with the colour shift due to older film rpoperties? The spit certainly seems to be correct in the green and grey scheme so I would not have thought so......

12 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day Dogsbody,

I have to  agree with the white cabinet interior. I have had some additional info from other BMers inthe WWII a/c thread reference colours, but the pics you have included are really interesting. The pic 3rd from the bottom, the oil tender exterior colour hues match the aircraft pretty closely. The last pic with the Mk. Vb spit is also interesting as the tractor appears a blue grey colour. If this is correct then this may be a pre-war colour which the RAF adopted after the war although usually this has a yellow upper surface ? Could it be that the colour balance is off and that the blueish colour is actually an earth tone with the colour shift due to older film rpoperties? The spit certainly seems to be correct in the green and grey scheme so I would not have thought so......

It could be a pre-war or an early war tractor, too. Here another colour or maybe a colourized photo.

49935397382_b84fca5ca1_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/24/2020 at 1:02 AM, Pappy said:

G'day people,

cheers

Pappy

Standard colour would be SCC2 Service Brown, RAF only started using SCC15 Green when stock of SCC2 had run out or if the vehicle was supplied new after may 1944, then and only then was SCC15 green used. Very early war vehicles, and interestingly all Fordson and Brown tractors plus bomb trolleys right through the war, were Khaki Green 3 with SCC1A Dark Brown stripped camo.

The Nobles Slate Grey (SCC14) was not black at all, called slate grey for a reason 😉, it would have been blacker on canvas as that had more bitumen in it to get it to stick.

All canvas was dyed SCC7 green, very close to Khaki Green 3 paint, but it faded quite quickly to the khaki green/brown we all know 

Inside the tanker pump box would have been gloss white or zinc chromate 

PS. Fire Tenders were NEVER red, there were some pre war red Crossleys but they were up north, also the Airfix K6 monitor kit..... only one K6 Monitor ever existed and that was made after the war from a crashed WOT1, the true carrier of the monitor equipment

PPS. The RAF had stopped using BS33 Field Blue before the end of 1939, when the KG3 colour was fazed in.

Hope that helps

Sean

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2020 at 6:02 AM, vindicareassassin said:

Standard colour would be SCC2 Service Brown, RAF only started using SCC15 Green when stock of SCC2 had run out or if the vehicle was supplied new after may 1944, then and only then was SCC15 green used. Very early war vehicles, and interestingly all Fordson and Brown tractors plus bomb trolleys right through the war, were Khaki Green 3 with SCC1A Dark Brown stripped camo.

The Nobles Slate Grey (SCC14) was not black at all, called slate grey for a reason 😉, it would have been blacker on canvas as that had more bitumen in it to get it to stick.

All canvas was dyed SCC7 green, very close to Khaki Green 3 paint, but it faded quite quickly to the khaki green/brown we all know 

Inside the tanker pump box would have been gloss white or zinc chromate 

PS. Fire Tenders were NEVER red, there were some pre war red Crossleys but they were up north, also the Airfix K6 monitor kit..... only one K6 Monitor ever existed and that was made after the war from a crashed WOT1, the true carrier of the monitor equipment

PPS. The RAF had stopped using BS33 Field Blue before the end of 1939, when the KG3 colour was fazed in.

Hope that helps

Sean

G'day Sean

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It seems that I have a few decisions to make, but this is all great info. I have tracked down an article written by Mike Starmer on WWII vehicle camouflage which has been very helpful,

cheers,

Pappy