Hawker Typhoon / Hurricane external tanks

Lawzer

Quick question - were the tanks for the Typhoon and Hurricane the same?

From what I've read both were 44 gallon tanks and to me at least (going by photos on t'interweb and eduard/quickboost after market bits) they look the same?

And next question - I'm guessing at least 1 1/48 hurricane kit will have come with said tanks?

24 minutes ago, Gooney Fan said:

Hello

I've just done a search on Scalemates site and no Hurricane kit has these tanks

Gooney Fan

Thanks @Gooney Fan 👍

I basically want to do a typhoon with external tanks but they ain't cheap so my thought was I may be able to put something in the wanted section.....

The Monogram Hurricane has them, though they're moulded with integral pylons - sprue shot here. Yes, I think the Typhoon used the same tanks. I built the 1/72 scale Academy kit last year and fitted the tanks from a Revell Hurricane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AWFK10 said:

The Monogram Hurricane has them, though they're moulded with integral pylons - sprue shot here. Yes, I think the Typhoon used the same tanks. I built the 1/72 scale Academy kit last year and fitted the tanks from a Revell Hurricane.

Cheers @AWFK10 ! Combining old monogram kits (which is what the typhoon kit is) is right up my street! 😁

now, let’s see what silly prices the hurricane is going for.....

I think the tanks themselves are the some for both aircraft types, but the streamlined fairing that covers the bomb/tank rack is different- IIRC, the fairing on the Typhoon tank is longer than that for the Hurricane. Check photos of the two aircraft with tanks installed to see what you think.

Mike

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I think the tanks themselves are the some for both aircraft types, but the streamlined fairing that covers the bomb/tank rack is different- IIRC, the fairing on the Typhoon tank is longer than that for the Hurricane. Check photos of the two aircraft with tanks installed to see what you think.

Mike

I had thought that about the fairings when I was looking at the qb  / eduard resin sets yesterday.

If it gives me an “excuse” to buy another monogram kit though....😁

It can be done. I've just used an old Monogram Hurricane tank on my Hasegawa Typhoon. You will need to lengthen the fairing at the rear and adjust its upper mating face to fit the wing lower surface. A quick and easy job, if you have the tanks. In my case the spares box was the source - never throw anything away!

Peter M

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Magpie22 said:

It can be done. I've just used an old Monogram Hurricane tank on my Hasegawa Typhoon. You will need to lengthen the fairing at the rear and adjust its upper mating face to fit the wing lower surface. A quick and easy job, if you have the tanks. In my case the spares box was the source - never throw anything away!

Peter M

Great - thanks for the conformation!  Now just to fins a reasonably priced monogram hurricane ;)

If it's any help, I can possibly scrape up a pair of 1/48 Hobbycraft Hurri tanks and send them your way (just went and looked, yes I can). PM me if you'd like them, or even just a dimensioned photo of same to scratch build them - they're basically tubes with ogival ends and a pylon. Either way works, your choice.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Rob G said:

If it's any help, I can possibly scrape up a pair of 1/48 Hobbycraft Hurri tanks and send them your way (just went and looked, yes I can). PM me if you'd like them, or even just a dimensioned photo of same to scratch build them - they're basically tubes with ogival ends and a pylon. Either way works, your choice.

That would be fantastic @Rob G ! A photo of them would be great (the cost of postage from AUS would most likely be more than the qb set! 😁)....👍

• Like 1