1:72 Tupolev SB2 M100 (ICM)

Morning all,

I'm going to call it a day with this one. A fun build of a sincere and well meant kit! Definitely recommended for all aficionados of early Soviet bombers, assuming Tamiya isn't about to tool an SB. The kit has lovely detail, but slightly iffy fit in parts, particularly the transparencies, which aren't the most transparent either. But it seems to be an accurate rendition of Russia's Blenheim, right down to the incredibly spindly landing gear (I wondered if the real ones wobbled when you sneezed on them..?) I also had good fun on the weathering, acting on the assumption the VVS didn't regularly clean their bombers. Here is my finished model:

20191010_111721

20191010_111807

20191010_111534

20191010_111423

20191010_111640 48874783656_59f0e2f830_o

...and thanks to all who followed on my first rather sporadic WiP:

Now to clean up the bench and on to the next adventure in styrene!

All best

Harry

• Like 30

25 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Beautiful bomber! I believe there is one that survives in a museum somewhere

Thanks Adam! Yes, just one at Monino, resurrected from a Siberian bog in the 80s i think..

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Bangseat said:

Thanks Adam! Yes, just one at Monino, resurrected from a Siberian bog in the 80s i think..

Would love to go see it one day. Makes you wonder just how many aircraft from the eastern front are out there waiting to be discovered

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2

Superb job on this early VVS workhorse!

The crappy transparencies may be an accurate representation of the real deal. Early on Soviet industry had a difficult time making good quality (acetate) canopies. They would yellow quite badly with age/exposure, often having optical distortions and fragile - generating stress cracks quite easily. It was sorted out in the end (switching to acrylate?) but perhaps ICM is trying to simulate this? ;)

Za Rodina!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 22:51, Gazontipede said:

Superb job on this early VVS workhorse!

The crappy transparencies may be an accurate representation of the real deal. Early on Soviet industry had a difficult time making good quality (acetate) canopies. They would yellow quite badly with age/exposure, often having optical distortions and fragile - generating stress cracks quite easily. It was sorted out in the end (switching to acrylate?) but perhaps ICM is trying to simulate this? ;)

Za Rodina!

Interesting theory! 😉 One thing I would say to any SB modeller is that the gunners canopy wasnt flush in real life, it was slightly proud of the fuselage skin, which is *amply* represented in this kit...

• 3 months later...

Brilliant job on the SB! The blue on the cowling fronts and the spinners really stands out and adds to the appearance! I have one of these kits waiting in the wings, but unfortunately it has a lot of its Soviet brethren aircraft in the queue ahead of it.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1