Harrier G-VTOL

Here is my Harrier T.52 ZA250/G-VTOL, Paris Airshow 1979,  built from the Sword kit with a Master pitot, painted with Hataka and Lifecolour acrylics and finished with decals from Vingtor set 72-118 Harrier Test and Demonstration Aircraft #3.  The kit was a bit of a challenge, the fit of some parts was poor, particularly the intake trunking and front cockpit instrument shroud.  There were gaps that needed shims and steps, especially behind the cockpit.  The front instrument shroud provided by sword is way too big and I ended up replacing it with a part fashioned from a cut down drop tank half.  I opened up the auxiliary intake doors, in future I would recommend replacing these parts with Freightdog resin ones.  The Vingtor decals are nice and thin and generally went on well, conforming over curves and bumps, although delicate. I had some small of the smaller stencils break up, possibly as I had the water too warm.  Frustratingly, one of the fuselage roundels was misprinted without the white segment, and I managed to pull of part of the serial when handling and needed to touch up by hand.

Anyway, here it is, a bit rough in places but good enough for my cabinet:

48874679762_07761c0c98_b.jpg

48874679757_4650a89fde_b.jpg

48874677892_173ca60498_b.jpg

48874677887_856b79f611_b.jpg

48873948848_00832f2afc_b.jpg

48874677822_32c257b01c_b.jpg

48874482396_b01e688e2b_b.jpg

48874482321_9d2dcab530_b.jpg

48874677547_1e9c435625_b.jpg

48874676747_744db4192a_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 35

Nice model! The grey upper side looks a tad dark, but that might be just the photos. Which colour did you use?

I had to check out the artwork file for the decals. Two of the roundels for this livery is in fact without the white. They are supposed to be used on the undersides, which is white, to ensure the same "shade of white". This might not have been described clearly enough on the instructions.

Nils

Thanks Nils, that explains it.  I must have used one of the correct underside roundels and one of the roundels with the white printed under the wings, leaving the other underside roundels for the fuselage 🤭

The grey is Hataka’s medium sea grey, it is much lighter in real life, the photos are a bit dark.

AW

On 10/11/2019 at 10:38 AM, Andwil said:

The grey is Hataka’s medium sea grey, it is much lighter in real life, the photos are a bit dark.

I built a model of G-VTOL myself a few years ago. Though it was in the earlier "desert" camo scheme. This was before the release of the Sword kit, so I cross kitted the Bobcat T.2 with the ESCI GR.1.

Having tried Hatakas lacquer paint (orange series), I can indeed recommend these for air brushing.

Nils

6 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Sword kits do put up bit of a fight but you won this easily, she looks good.

I too have this waiting in the wings to be built, 3 in fact if memory serves.

Yes I have three more of these to do, now that I know what to look out for I will probably approach the whole intake and cockpit area in a different way and hopefully do a better job with them.

AW

• Like 1