Macchi M.33 Schneider Cup

DMC

I’m usually to be found over on the airplane WIP and, most recently on the Flying Boats and Floatplanes GB.  My entry for the GB is the Macchi Castoldi M.33.  As I quite like dioramas I thought I’d see what I could do with the M.33 in a diorama setting.   Haven’t done that much with it yet, just working out a few details.  Coffee stirrers for the ramp and Clearfix adhesive for the water.  Found out about the Clearfix on a YouTube video.  The effect looked pretty convincing.  

More later yer as I progress.

Thanks for looking in.

Dennis

resized_ef750e89-930c-479c-afcb-7b51461e

• Like 5

A little more done on the base.  Kitchen grid/mesh mat is for the plaste to grip. I’ll do a layer at a time until I get the effect I’m happy with.  The clear plastic piece is a vacuum form of the fuselage hull.  The idea being to position it and then bring the ‘water” right up to the hull without permanently fixing it to the base.  Still have to do the stern moulding.

This YouTube video explains how to use the ClearFix for water effects.  Worth a try I think.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=water+for+dioramas&&view=detail&mid=E4DF40E96DC51BED2647E4DF40E96DC51BED2647&&FORM=VRDGAR

Thanks for looking in.

Dennis

resized_9bfc5d60-dd85-4797-9382-19a1b660

• Like 2

Hi Dennis.

Interesting stuff that Clearfix. But I found myself staring at that guy's earlobes more than I did the product! I'm no stranger to dressing up 'weird' and sticking safety pins through their ears and noses etc, with myself having lived through the punk era and heavy metal, but there's something very odd about people who want to deform their earlobes like that and beyond. I saw a girl with earlobes nearly touching her shoulders..... What will they look like when they are 90yrs old??

Anyhoo…. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do water-wise. An odd choice of base if you don't mind me saying. I assume it's some kind of rubber or plastic and by the looks of it it's flexible, and I'd have thought it might cause problems, flexing and causing cracking in the 'ground'.  I do know it's a worry about plaster/stuff not gripping firmly to a smooth base on the other hand, but I've found just scoring the surface deeply with a blade at an angle is plenty enough for the plaster to key on.

Rearguards,

Badder

7 hours ago, Badder said:

I found myself staring at that guy's earlobes

Ha ha, yes same here.  Used to be a young man working in a local supermarket that had a pair even larger.  I suppose it’s some sort of fashion statement or tribal recognition thing.  

7 hours ago, Badder said:

An odd choice of base if you don't mind me saying

It really isn’t, Badder, and I certainly don’t mind.  Best described as a cardboard honeycomb sandwhich affair.  Very lightweight and very strong.  Not flexible at all.  I have a piece about 4’ long and it will not bend.   We bought a few pieces of furniture from Oak Furniture Land and it came packed in the stuff.  I saved a few bits but wished I’d saved more.  It really is perfect for diorama bases and I don’t hesitate in recommending it for that purpose.

Cheers

Dennis

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Ha ha, yes same here.  Used to be a young man working in a local supermarket that had a pair even larger.  I suppose it’s some sort of fashion statement or tribal recognition thing.  

It really isn’t, Badder, and I certainly don’t mind.  Best described as a cardboard honeycomb sandwhich affair.  Very lightweight and very strong.  Not flexible at all.  I have a piece about 4’ long and it will not bend.   We bought a few pieces of furniture from Oak Furniture Land and it came packed in the stuff.  I saved a few bits but wished I’d saved more.  It really is perfect for diorama bases and I don’t hesitate in recommending it for that purpose.

Cheers

Dennis

Ah, kind of wood-fibre cardboard stuff.  I can see that would be good then. Supermarkets are a great source of diorama materials BTW. I got a couple of sheets of 'foamboard'  5x4 ft and 1/3rd inch thick.  I say foamboard, but it's very dense and whilst it does bend it's the kind that will snap if scored with a scalpel and bent back on itself. It can be imprinted with grooves with a biro, toothpick etc and holds the impression well. I use it for constructing buildings and also building up ground.  (have a look at my WIP 'Pit Stop') I call it 'FTINFBISS' Foamboard That Is Not Foamboard, But Is Something Similar. It's what they usd for temporary advertising, usually stuck up on walls or hanging from ceilings.

Rearguards,

Badder

3 hours ago, DMC said:

I suppose it’s some sort of fashion statement or tribal recognition thing. 

Like the current fad for tattoos (do not get me started on middle-aged women with full sleeves), I feel that it's more of an "I'm expressing my individuality" kind of thing, despite the blatantly obvious fact that they're following the herd much more conformally than we older chaps ever did.

The world is moving much too fast for me these days.

2 hours ago, Badder said:

It's what they usd for temporary advertising

Yes, I know that “foam” board.  I have some in fact but haven’t got around to using it.  

2 hours ago, Rob G said:

The world is moving much too fast for me these days

Passed my by decades ago.

Dennis

• Like 1