Do you think these panel lines need scribing?

Walter

4 minutes ago, Walter said:

The other surprise for me was the paintwork. It was very rough and you could see over painting with different colours or just a fresh coat without any attention to detail. So many modelers really over do the paint schemes. I will be practicing my weathering that's for sure these planes really looked like they were being worked hard...

Even if they wear the original paintwork, the aircraft you have seen have been in storage or exhibited for over 70 years... if you're going to reproduce what you've seen you may well have a finish that has little to do with that the same aircraft looked when in service as it's not known what happened to the original finish during these 70 years. Some of the aircraft may also have received damage during their career or after they were recovered, IIRC the 109 was not in great condition when taken from the Germans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JWM said:

Abyway, the panel lines on real He 219 sometimes looks strange - no scrobing will help wit it

1280px-Heinkel_219_2012.jpg

Cheers

J-W

From the FE codes displayed (plus the background that looks like Wright Field) that pic was taken post war in the USA J-W.  I wonder if the strange lines seen on the engine cowling and fuselage are relics of the tape used in the 'pickling' process on HMS Reaper as this aircraft was transported across the Atlantic? 

SD

3 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

I wonder if the strange lines seen on the engine cowling and fuselage are relics of the tape used in the 'pickling' process on HMS Reaper as this aircraft was transported across the Atlantic?

Maybe corrosion from sea water.  Very thin metal there and perforated for the fixing screws.

9 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

From the FE codes displayed (plus the background that looks like Wright Field) that pic was taken post war in the USA J-W.  I wonder if the strange lines seen on the engine cowling and fuselage are relics of the tape used in the 'pickling' process on HMS Reaper as this aircraft was transported across the Atlantic? 

Of course it is post -war photo, still no typical dark dirt in panel lines is seen - that is what wa s my message. Similar here:

NASM-SI-2006-20931.jpgDespite light colour (RLM 76) o sides the pannel lines are very weak, and only close to canopy. Back of fuselage and fin are are without seen pannel lines. Of course this also post war photo with Firfly and Harvards in background (also Barracuda, Beech C45 and Siebel 204).

Abd here - captured He 219 in Denmark, 1945

55c2874ace45d.jpg

So I will try not to overdo pannel lines in case of UHU

Cheers

J-W