1/24 MFH Ferrari 315S - 1957 Mille Miglia

Sabrejet

1 hour ago, Alan R said:

That really is a remarkable piece of craftsmanship.

If I had the dosh, I would get one right now...

Cheers,

Alan.

In terms of modelling enjoyment per £, MFH take some beating. I've probably sacrificed a few other kits to fund this one, but will definitely be back for more (funds permitting!). Another '50s sports racer should do it. 🤔

• Like 1

What a fantastic model, you really are making a first class job of it. The detailing is quite out of this world. It's like watching the real thing come together. I'll be following this build with much interest.

I've just taken a look at the MFH website and there are some beautiful models available from them. Did you order direct? I've never ordered from that end of the world before and would like to get an idea of the added costs over the kit price.

Tony.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

What a fantastic model, you really are making a first class job of it. The detailing is quite out of this world. It's like watching the real thing come together. I'll be following this build with much interest.

I've just taken a look at the MFH website and there are some beautiful models available from them. Did you order direct? I've never ordered from that end of the world before and would like to get an idea of the added costs over the kit price.

Tony.

Tony,

I've bought three MFH kits so far (one in 1/43, one in 1/24 and one in 1/12), all from Hiroboy in Cheltenham (https://www.hiroboy.com/). First kit was in stock but the other two had to come from Japan. Service was excellent and somehow I got my kit in just a couple of weeks.

• Thanks 1

Your work is surgical and most professional. Please describe the clean-up process on such small metal parts- removing seam lines, opening holes and attaching parts. I imagine the preparation is extremely tedious and time consuming. But MFH detail and fidelity is second to none.

7 hours ago, Codger said:

Your work is surgical and most professional. Please describe the clean-up process on such small metal parts- removing seam lines, opening holes and attaching parts. I imagine the preparation is extremely tedious and time consuming. But MFH detail and fidelity is second to none.

Thanks for your positive comments all; much appreciated. I don't find clean-up to be a chore - more an enjoyable part of this kind of model, and not really necessary on the resin parts, which are exquisite: those just need the same sort of prep as a high-end plastic kit would. For the white metal bits, clean-up depends on whether a surface will be visible or not. If I have a seam line on an attaching surface, I tend to use a fine, straight-edged file to just level it off (then I know it will be flat too). For seams which are going to be on visible faces I use the edge of a scalpel blade to reduce the seam and then wet-or-dry (600 grit) to blend it. Finally I use a fine brass wire brush to prepare the surfaces for priming. 

For primer I use Halfords white, and so far all the top coats have been Mr Color acrylic.

I did note what feels like a mould release on the resin parts, so I've washed those in washing-up liquid before painting but I haven't done that for the metal bits and so far it all seems to be staying in place....

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Onwards then. Radiator fitted and I also painted the exhaust headers and trial-fitted them. They won't go on permanently yet.

Next I needed to add the fuel rail, which goes down between the carburettors and then an individual, curved pipe goes to each carb; so six curved pipes in all. MFH doesn't include the fuel rail (it would probably be impossible to make easily in a kit item), so I used a combination of 0.5 and 0.7mm aluminium tube. MFH does model the fuel inlet on each carb, so it's easy to see where each pipe should go, and each will have a brass banjo bolt. I also made up the throttle rod and attached it.

Steering rack and box added too:

Banjo bolts punched out of plastic card with a hex punch set, painted and added:

Next fuel feed hoses. On this car the flexi pipes were yellow - not sure why - but prominently yellow. The flexi hose goes from the bulkhead, into the fuel rail and then from there a return hose (also yellow) goes from the front of the rail and down to a (mechanical fuel pump?) driven off the front of the engine. I can only assume that the whole thing works by suction, past the carbs, whereas cars I've worked on have a suction feed to the pump and then pressure feed to the carbs. Whatever. There is also a return from the (pump?) to the tank but you can't really see it. I may do that later. For now I made each hose from lead wire, bent it to shape in place, added a ferrule at each end and then sprayed them Tamiya yellow XF-3, which doesn't look too bright.

Then each was threaded through and slid into the fuel rail. Both ends were then fixed with a swipe of CA.

Inner wings next I think; I can't add the oil hoses until I've mounted the filter assembly, which goes on the LH inner wing. Exhaust headers will have to go on too. Seems to be a lot of stuff done but not much progress!

• Like 9

Progress is slow but sure: lots to add but not that much to see 🤔

These are the last parts of the engine bay: exhaust headers, bulkheads, baffles, oil filter and duct etc.

Quick check with the body on to make sure the exhausts look OK:

And from the top:

Back with the body off and this is how it now looks. Slow-cure epoxy resin allowed me to adjust the parts with the body on until it all cured.

Front cross-braced frame added ahead of the radiator:

Only part then was to add the oil hoses; there is a supply, a return and what seems to be a vent/catch tank hose which passes into the LH front wheel arch area. I decided to make these using approx. 1mm solder wire for the 'hose' part; punched 1mm hex plastic card union ends and all held together with a 0.5mm aluminium tube. Drilling 0.5mm holes in 1mm hex plastic card was 'interesting'...

And here is hose No.1, with a banjo fitting on one end, done by drilling a 0.5mm hole in the side of a 1mm tube and then slotting the part above into it. Unfortunately I realised that the hose was brown, not black, so they were painted the correct colour before fitting.

And here they are fitted, painted the correct colour. I will tone the colour down a bit with some matt varnish.

More (not too) soon I hope! 

• Like 8

Excellent stuff!

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Drilling 0.5mm holes in 1mm hex plastic card was 'interesting'... 

What I do is punch (or drill) the hole first, then center the hole in my hex punch and punch the hex shape around the hole. I think it's easier than the other way around.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Excellent stuff!

What I do is punch (or drill) the hole first, then center the hole in my hex punch and punch the hex shape around the hole. I think it's easier than the other way around.

Genius. Seems obvious now you say it 🙄

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Genius. Seems obvious now you say it 🙄

Look at it this way: you've had hours of modelling fun!

And I must say, they came out real neat.

• Like 1