DHC-6 Twin Otter -Trans Maldivian Airways

On 12/8/2019 at 10:19 AM, Whofan said:

Enjoying this build as it brings back memories of our trip to the Maldives when we took the seaplane option to go to our hotel.

Except ours was in this blue and yellow livery. The two flights were the most tremendous fun, especially take off and landings!

DSCN0048

I think this was the older livery and it looks lovely. I do recall someone making one of these, possibly in the last Floatplanes GB. I'll have a look a little later and see if I can post a link. I think also they were inspired like we were by travelling on one when on holiday in the Maldives. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2019 at 1:42 PM, AdrianMF said:

Somebody needs to have a quiet word in a dark corner with Transmaldivian about getting some simpler colour schemes...

I think the red and white is probably slightly easier than the blue and yellow. But without transfer the dolphins on the floats would be a nightmare. 

On 12/8/2019 at 7:13 PM, Whofan said:

I've got to agree with you!

I'd like to do the kit I've got in the blue and yellow, but it looks a heck of a challenge.

I got transfers from 26Decal and they're really nice but he has cut back on his range by taking out the laser printed range to concentrate on his screen printed range, the red TMA was laser printed and is no longer available but Ray who runs 26Decal is really responsive if you drop him an email. Contact details are here. http://www.26decals.com/epages/62035508.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62035508/Categories/Imprint

Started on the transfers. They are ultra thin but fairly tough, but stuck as soon as they went on and took a little bit of time and continual wetting to get them into place. Being laser printed they also need trimmed. I removed them from the sheet roughly and then used a new scalpel blade to trim. The clear part is pretty clear though and I think a coat of Klear will ensure I don't get any silvering. 

resized_61c1896a-5f2b-4196-a5b9-14e08faf

I am am worried about the main transfer as it is fairly long, almost the length of the aircraft, and needs to be tucked under the wing and support strut. With my experience with the floats, I don't think it will slide around much. 

resized_1b65c501-a387-4669-b57d-9209ae6e

I may have to resort to cutting into sections. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, 825 said:

I think this was the older livery and it looks lovely. I do recall someone making one of these, possibly in the last Floatplanes GB. I'll have a look a little later and see if I can post a link. I think also they were inspired like we were by travelling on one when on holiday in the Maldives. 

Thanks for the link. I'll have a bimble through BM as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few modelled who've flown in one of these in the Maldives would be inspired to make a model!

3 minutes ago, Whofan said:

Thanks for the link. I'll have a bimble through BM as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few modelled who've flown in one of these in the Maldives would be inspired to make a model!

I must admit I wouldn't be surprised either. 

Here is one build but its an earlier simpler livery. 

It should help with the colours though and transfers/decals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First fuselage transfer on. I cut it into two parts. It's not too opaque and the red paint shines through a little so I'll sand it back on the other side before putting that transfer on. 

resized_953b07c0-f486-413f-837f-9b2f8d8a

• Like 7

Remaining transfers on. Unfortunately, due to the position and the high wing it's difficult to get a decent pic. However, their on and I get on with finishing the plane off. 

resized_891b60ae-be13-44d2-b76b-e5eb4b18

resized_d0f20cb6-8ebb-4a38-8eb2-ac047069

There's a little tidying up needed but that's all relatively straightforward to deal with. 

• Like 6

Floats assembled. They are a bit wobbly still, hence the makeshift jig. Spinners added to the props but still needing painting finished and the tailplanes ready for attaching. 

resized_019b0512-879a-48f9-a9fa-5ecb1b41

• Like 8

Airframe complete and ready for the final tricky job of putting the floats on. 

resized_6d296dd7-e3d2-495a-95c2-aef0cd6d

resized_22247e9b-26fc-4b42-b0d9-e159d13a

The floats on, although a bit of care and gentle easing of parts together needed, it wasn't too bad. 

resized_55457593-2b42-4e9f-8d84-9b5c528b

The only things to do to do is to leave it for a while to solidify up and then the aerials to add.  TMA Twin Otters have additional steps and I'll see if I can add them before the close of play tomorrow. 

• Like 4

And the floats are on fine and holding the aircraft up. 

resized_961cdc16-d0cf-4000-9c63-33c6348b

resized_ff62e434-4de5-44f6-bf68-79db88d4

It was a lovely moment when the plane was gently turned over and set down on the floats. Am I the only one who gets these feelings?

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Looking forward to this in the gallery Well done 

Martin H

Thanks Martin, should be in the gallery soon. Not sure how best to display it for some photos. Usually I have a carrier deck, runaway or even a grass base. Should sort something out. 

19 hours ago, Johnson said:

Nearly there - well done!

Thanks Charlie, it's been a nice build although not without its challenges. 

Struts and steps constructed and added. The additional struts were made from a laminate of two 10 thou strips. I didn't have any 20 thou, the 10 on its own seemed a bit puny and the next size up was 60 thou which was too thick. It was also too wide. The steps are Plastruct angle painted Aluminium and cut to length. They are a little over scale but this was the smallest (and it's the second smallest in the range) that I could source but it gives the effect. They should also have lightening holes in them but life is far too short. 

resized_b396dae8-1ded-4c2d-8a12-3199daf1

Now props on and basically finished

resized_38556bac-93c5-4078-8299-52051787

resized_a3aa3982-a068-4a7c-9837-02051cc7

resized_15f2a921-5e7b-455a-b44c-1a6ab12f

Now to get some photos done for the gallery. It's been dismally grey so far this morning but is brightening up so the light may improve for some decent pics. 

• Like 5