DHC-6 Twin Otter -Trans Maldivian Airways

Windows and windscreen masked. 

resized_2fbfb5e3-dcbe-425c-83bf-fae2aaec

Ive added extensions to the wing struts from laminations of plastic strip, easy to do. Just laminate and flood with cement. Leave over night and then gently sand to shape. 

resized_7ddad20c-7e4a-4e6c-b838-e0413d0e

One wing added. And please believe me it does have a little dihedral

resized_e6cf64c5-633d-46bc-89a8-ca82862b

But there is a little bit of filling still needed. 

resized_16c04b7f-3d5c-4f62-99fb-18eff24f

• Like 5

Second wing on. 

resized_d38d77f1-4314-4a13-a8cb-b878e22b

And has got a nice degree of dihedral. 

resized_af34220f-8db4-4cd8-bad8-cbb85a7d

Jus about ready for some paint. It will take a fair number of coats of brushed thin paint. I do have a can of Halfords Appliance White but the weather is horrid and damp and I'm not sure that it will spray well even if the domestic authorities will permit indoor use of it. The underside of the aircraft would be awkward to paint with a rattle can as well. Time to ponder. 

• Like 8

What a great choice 825 :thumbsup2:

The kit lets itself down a bit because the bottom of the windscreen curves up (like the mouth in a smiley face :)), whereas it should curve down :(.

If you fancy a bit of 'trompe d'oeil', you can paint in the missing bottom corners of the windscreen using black paint.  Car manufacturers do it all the time!  I did this on a Brymon scheme many years ago and it improved the appearance a lot.

Having said that, your scheme will look great whatever!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 7:29 PM, CliffB said:

What a great choice 825 :thumbsup2:

The kit lets itself down a bit because the bottom of the windscreen curves up (like the mouth in a smiley face :)), whereas it should curve down :(.

If you fancy a bit of 'trompe d'oeil', you can paint in the missing bottom corners of the windscreen using black paint.  Car manufacturers do it all the time!  I did this on a Brymon scheme many years ago and it improved the appearance a lot.

Having said that, your scheme will look great whatever!

Cheers

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, I'll see what it looks like when I've got the paintwork done. 

Thanks for your kind words Jaime @jrlx and Charlie @Johnson. An overall white scheme is quite challenging but the black and red trim does make it look really good. 

Ive decided to go down the hairy stick route with Citadel's Ceramite White glossed up with Kleer. Itill take a few coats and here it is after a couple. 

resized_0d65f59c-6367-45c3-bca2-25ed5b6e

• Like 5

15 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice paintwork. It looks like A Short Skyvan after a crash diet!

Regards,

Adrian

And it's wings put on a rack!

A goodly number of thin coats of white brushed on and now even and ready for a couple of coats of Klear to gloss it up, and hopefully prevent it lifting, before masking for the black and red. Sorry the photo's not that great, a combination of an all white airframe and artificial light. It's now getting dark at 4pm on a dull day here as mid winter approaches. 

resized_d4c19c98-35ef-4e39-ba4d-81e0bbe4

Edited by 825
  • Like 7

Seems a while since I posted last but a combination of busyness and the time to layer on multiple coats of white and Klear, with a lot of polishing between coats takes time. The white is hopefully finished. 

resized_5610f640-0344-48dc-89d5-3450260e

Now masked and some black already on. 

resized_904e86d8-8fab-49ce-be39-4342720c

8Q TMA didn't have the black leading edges so made things a little easier

resized_a620d177-131c-4866-ba4b-8c92c5d9

• Like 7

A bit more paint on. The red/orange looks a bit darker than expected or lacks a bit of orangeness. I actually used photos of the real aircraft to match the paint in games workshop. It won't matter too much on the wing tips or even the engines but may on the fin. 

resized_9c0ef8b6-aa3d-4949-970d-ea0c46f7

• Like 4

Masking tape off. And Oh Dear!  It's my own fault as I rushed in with the Gloss Black rather laying down a coat of Klear along the masking tape edges to seal it. I should have known this would happen as the trailing edges has multiple grooves and undulations. 

resized_ba9f430b-6392-4b76-b2c3-2337fc3b

The underside is worse. 

resized_1d16d4dc-b660-4ace-a11c-04c22c5b

Never mind, a bit of time with a sharp scalpel, well an hour or so removed much of the excess but even after polishing up some masking and white paint was needed. And now looks not too bad, after touching up and some more Klear looks like this. The red on the wing tips didn't leak at all. The floats are pretty well finished. 

resized_2f8917d1-9965-4db9-b524-5e49aaf8

Now there's some delicate masking to be don emperor on the engine nacelles which are curved. I think I'll use some narrow Tamiya masking strip, apply the red over some matt white, then use a transfer strip soaked with Microsol/set for the trim. Also the props have four black stripes to be added which again will be tedious. But can be done with patience, a sharp scalpel and some good music on the stereo 

• Like 7

Coming along well. Note the stripes on the prop blades are different widths. This is to give an oscillated effect when working thus attracting awareness to them.

26 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Coming along well. Note the stripes on the prop blades are different widths. This is to give an oscillated effect when working thus attracting awareness to them.

Thanks Paul. I'm going to work from photographs of the real aircraft so I should be able to get it right. 

• Like 1

Well recovered on the masking leaks. The red/orange wingtips look dead on in the photos of the real thing and the model. 

The nacelle masking and trimming looks like it will keep you busy for a while...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

This was a lot less traumatic than I thought it would be. The Tamiya flexible strip is excellent for this type of thing. I'll seal it with Klear first to minimise bleed as it will need some white undercoating before I apply the red. 

resized_da59961d-fd4d-4e2d-949d-ceabf304

Now on to the props and the front of the floats. 

• Like 4

On 11/30/2019 at 12:01 PM, Paul J said:

I've had a look at a few photographs and the stripes look pretty much even apart from the two at the tip which appear to be slightly broader. But not appreciately enough to notice in this scale. And it may even be an optical illusion. However, one blade is different in that it has four black stripes and three white, while the other two have four white and one black. 

resized_a620d177-131c-4866-ba4b-8c92c5d9

So I'll have to be careful to get it right as well get all 7 stripes on. 

• Like 3

I've measured the prop blades and their 15 mm. This means that I can use my 2 mm Tamiya tape, so again hopefully not too traumatic but will take a bit of time. 

Red paint on the nacelles. There's a little scrape on the black from removing the masking tape but otherwise not at all bad. 

resized_4037c1bd-cf36-43d1-bef2-f4572359

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 825 said:

There's a little scrape on the black from removing the masking tape

Nothing a tiny bit of touch up won't cure, not bad at all! Coming on nicely.

Enjoying this build as it brings back memories of our trip to the Maldives when we took the seaplane option to go to our hotel.

Except ours was in this blue and yellow livery. The two flights were the most tremendous fun, especially take off and landings!

DSCN0048

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 5