ICM He 111H-3

As I was feeling a bit bored last night I got out my ICM He 111H-3 to have a rummage around in the box. I noticed that the front cockpit window frame was broken,  so decided to fix it. Next thing I know I had the fuselage parts off the sprue.  When I put them together as a dry fit I noticed the locating pins wouldn't go into the holes. Is this normal for this kit?

I'm not saying I'm building it right now, but you never know with me. I'm keen to do a few more kits on my early jet project. Then again I have been putting off my main interest period which is the Battle of Britain for far to long.

• Like 3

I've looked into it and decided  the cockpit and the Bomb racks should be RLM66 while the rest of the fuselage should be RLM02. This is the way I will do it.

Progress today. The fuselage side is just sitting loose. I, trying to prepare all the parts ready for a spray of RLM66. 

He 111H_3 image 2

• Like 8

I have black based the internal parts. The photo isn't that good I'm afraid. My camera seemed not to like the black colour.

Most of it is black based including the gear boxes and the Bomb racks. It just looks grey in the photo.

I'm doing it as a Kg26 plane which were stationed in Norway and used in the raid on the 15th of August.  This raid was decimated by the Hurricanes and Spitfires that were resting up north and I think was the turning point of the battle. 

I know this is a H3 plane while the He 111's on the raid where H4 planes. Can some one tell me the difference? 

He 111H_3 image 3

• Like 4

Looks like some good progress for what was just a look in the box, wish that happened to my kits when I looked at them!

i see what you mean about the think ness of the plastic! Very fine, and the detailing looks nice.

Rob

I have now determined the main difference between the He 111H-3 and H-4. The H-4 had external bomb racks and only one internal bomb rack. The other one was replaced with an extra fuel tank. If I'm to do mine as an H-4 I will get the rack part from my H-6 kit, as I won't be using that part on the H-6. All I need now is a white M decal as I will do 

1H-MH. It was lost in the August 15 raid, but the crew survived. There is a good photo of it in my Wingleader BOB part 4 book that covers the raid. 

• Like 1

It looks like you haven't fitted the two parts which make up the fuselage wall in the bomb bay area..? They sit below the first two windows and fill the space where the wing root is moulded.. Apols if you've left them off for a reason..

Matt

Yes I have left them out for now because the instructions say to put them in when the fuselage is together. Do you think it  is better to put them in now. 

I had a bit of luck today. I found the engine conversion set to do the He 111P using my Revell kit. I have wanted to do the kg55 Blitz bomber for years.

Should be fun down the track.

I hope I'm not  boring you guys with this project.  I thought I would do a blow by blow record of the build.  Now I have a good theme and back story for it I'm personally finding it very interesting.  

I have just finished painting the interior as described above. Cockpit area RLM66 the rest RLM02.  This went well for a change.  Seems you can't beat a new Sparmax compressor.  While I was at it I did the gear parts that needed RLM02.  The only holdup is the new floor with the bomb racks. I have had to fill the hollow racks with Tamiya epoxy putty so I can install one of the existing internal bomb racks. These have now been painted RLM66. 

I have also started the engines which are now painted in a mix of Vallejo steel and Tamiya flat black. Worked quite well. I'm working on the other parts as I have to wait for the Eduard cockpit set to arrive, which will be a week I would guess.  I'm only using the basic set on this one. Anyway this will give me a chance to work on my other projects as well. I have four other projects flat coated and waiting for the next stage.

I will get some more photos up in a few days.

2 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

Thanks for the heads up on your build Greg . I will be following closely as i may give the ICM  He111Z a go when it comes out next year ..

Cheers

Alistair

Is that 1/48?

A He111Z That will need some room. Pity they don't give us a He 111P and a Ju 88A-1. 

I've moved into town for ten days now. The paint setup is so much easier here, so I should make some good progress on my projects

Including this one. 

I'm working on the engines at the moment.  One thing that is troubling me is I'm having trouble keeping the frame work that attaches to the wing part straight. 

Can anyone that has built this kit give me advice on this issue.

Hi Greg

Sorry not to get back sooner.

I honestly don't recall why I put those two parts in earlier? Probably to get at them to sand the joins down. So, if there's no apparent reason to not follow the instructions - I'd stick with them.. :)

They're one of the only bits I have glued. Spent time carefully sanding parts to get best possible fit. I find ICM's CAD is better than their injection moulding tech so little bits of fettling here and there can make a good fit close to perfect.

Not boring at all, by the way.

Matt

EDIT

By the way, I'm sure the ICM 88A-5 gives you most of what you'd need for an A-1 - engine nacelle without oil cooler fairing, straight rudder hinge line early rear canopy. Depending on the level you'd want to go to, I think shortening the wing tips and extending ailerons to tip would cover most visible aspects. Details would include different fuel dump under rear fuselage and smaller mainwheels...  In fact i recall the JU 88A-4 boxing (at least the Revell one I have) actually still includes all the A-5 parts...

• Like 1

Here is a work in progress image on the engines.  I still need to touch up the painting as you can see. I will do that when I get back to the farm on Friday.

I left my magnifying visor behind, so I'm having to do things half blind.  The funny thing is these will never be seen as I'm closing this one up. 

I'm still waiting for the PE to complete the cockpit. 

He 111H_3 image 4

• Like 7