C-54D Skymaster

Latest build. 1/72 Revell kit. Bit of a challenge.

Mark

48869927973_713fe2a645_k.jpgDSCN3508 (2) by mwsfly9, on Flickr

48870454596_0bc25d1771_k.jpgDSCN3507 (2) by mwsfly9, on Flickr

48869931793_6fb1bc779a_k.jpgDSCN3510 (2) by mwsfly9, on Flickr

48870458456_15d481be02_k.jpgDSCN3512 (2) by mwsfly9, on Flickr

48869935523_39b77bd9b3_k.jpgDSCN3513 (2) by mwsfly9, on Flickr

48869938548_03d8426f8a_k.jpgDSCN3515 (2) by mwsfly9, on Flickr

48869939958_3c891a3212_k.jpgDSCN3516 (2) by mwsfly9, on Flickr

48869941533_c59d139d2d_k.jpgDSCN3518 (2) by mwsfly9, on Flickr

48870660107_15d1608a23_k.jpgDSCN3519 (3) by mwsfly9, on Flickr

48870661892_3fddebb17e_k.jpgDSCN3521 (2) by mwsfly9, on Flickr

48870471696_e4cbd68ac9_k.jpgDSCN3522 (2) by mwsfly9, on Flickr

48870664622_c99e8252d2_k.jpgDSCN3523 (2) by mwsfly9, on Flickr

48870666897_1f258767aa_k.jpgDSCN3524 (2) by mwsfly9, on Flickr

48870668407_7955cb4abb_k.jpgDSCN3525 (2) by mwsfly9, on Flickr

48869952608_23541d8a0e_k.jpgDSCN3526 (2) by mwsfly9, on Flickr

48870670872_70dfa66545_k.jpgDSCN3527 (2) by mwsfly9, on Flickr

• Like 65

It’s nice to see a model that hasn’t been pre-shaded, post-shaded, panel line washed and weathered to within an inch of its life; it looks like it’s fresh from the paint shop, or the crew chief has found a band of “willing volunteers” to keep it nicely bulled up just in case a very senior officer comes along for a snap inspection.

I have one of these to build which I intend to do as one of the few operated by RAF Transport Command around the end of World War II; did you encounter any significant problems with construction?  I know that there are some errors in the instructions, and that the instructions don’t explain which bits are relevant to which version.  I’m not sure whether to do as you have with everything buttoned up and, presumably, the main cabin interior omitted, or to open the doors and have to squeeze in a shed load of ballast in the front baggage hold.

• Like 14

Great model..........superb finish..........as one of the other co-respondents says.........a nice change from the weathered, post shaded, panel lined wonders......

How did you get the props to work.............a fan or motors ?

Well Done, Sir 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger331 said:

Great model..........superb finish..........as one of the other co-respondents says.........a nice change from the weathered, post shaded, panel lined wonders......

How did you get the props to work.............a fan or motors ?

Well Done, Sir 

Thanks for the encouraging comment. A fan.

Mark

That is gorgeous Mark!! Beautiful paint scheme and excellent paint work. It looks like a well maintained aircraft any crew chief would be proud of. Again, "OUTSTANDING MODELING SKILLS" Mark!!

God bless you brother, Steve 🤗

Nice job. You have got much further than mine... I abandoned finishing it it as it just got the better of me and as mentioned in post 2; so it lies in my shed gathering dust.   I don't like the idea of the interior to the main cabin with doors open as the thickness of the plastic for the interior skin and then the plastic for the exterior of the fuselage just doubles up the thickness and for me, it spoils the look.  Then there is the question of all the main wheel options. IF I ever get back to it I'll just use them as they come. Who is going to know I have used the wrong wheels???

By the way, the windshield framing looks in complete on your fine build.   A couple strips or more of white decal stripes will do the trick.

Keep up the good work there!:-)

6 hours ago, Paul J said:

Nice job. You have got much further than mine... I abandoned finishing it it as it just got the better of me and as mentioned in post 2; so it lies in my shed gathering dust.   I don't like the idea of the interior to the main cabin with doors open as the thickness of the plastic for the interior skin and then the plastic for the exterior of the fuselage just doubles up the thickness and for me, it spoils the look.  Then there is the question of all the main wheel options. IF I ever get back to it I'll just use them as they come. Who is going to know I have used the wrong wheels???

By the way, the windshield framing looks in complete on your fine build.   A couple strips or more of white decal stripes will do the trick.

Keep up the good work there!:-)

Completely agree with everything!  ' A bit of a challenge' is an understatement as I also gave up and have one of these partly built and set aside as 350-odd parts is just too over-engineered with an interior that can't be seen anyway. If Revell want to put that much effort into the interior detail, then why not give us an alternative clear transparent port side fuselage half, so it can be seen?  

On 10/9/2019 at 1:22 PM, stever219 said:

It’s nice to see a model that hasn’t been pre-shaded, post-shaded, panel line washed and weathered to within an inch of its life; it looks like it’s fresh from the paint shop, or the crew chief has found a band of “willing volunteers” to keep it nicely bulled up just in case a very senior officer comes along for a snap inspection.

I have one of these to build which I intend to do as one of the few operated by RAF Transport Command around the end of World War II; did you encounter any significant problems with construction?  I know that there are some errors in the instructions, and that the instructions don’t explain which bits are relevant to which version.  I’m not sure whether to do as you have with everything buttoned up and, presumably, the main cabin interior omitted, or to open the doors and have to squeeze in a shed load of ballast in the front baggage hold.

Had issues fitting engines into nasals but with trimming and sanding success was achieved. Not really worth doing interior as not much will be seen. Puts your skills to the test. Good luck.

Mark

Very nicely done indeed,....... I have one which is all put together,...... but the constant sanding and filling has made me relagate it to the shelf of doom!! Maybe one day eh.

Great job and love the scheme,

Cheers

Tony