MIG-21PF Indian Air Force

Hi all.

I am clearing the backlog of builds that I have not yet posted.  This is a Revell Inc kit from the US that I bought cheap from The Works.   There are only 61 parts but the quality and definition is very poor.  For example the air-brake doors were too small and had rounded edges so I decided to close the doors and fill the gaps, rather than try to rebuild the doors with sharp edges.  I also tried to enhance the cockpit with some PE designed for the Academy kit.  I made it fit but it was hard work, don't think that I will do any PE again for a while.  Anyway you can hardly see the enhanced cockpit.  The kit was a struggle and I though a few times of giving up, but why should I let it get the better of me.

Here are the pics.

IMG_20190919_165336578[1]

IMG_20190919_165349920[1]

IMG_20190919_165358960[1]

IMG_20190919_165511833[1]

IMG_20190919_165526717[1]

Thanks for looking.

Graeme

Edited by dbay133
Reset images
  • Like 9

Looks fantastic to me! Love that scheme. How did you do with the troublesome cockpit colour?! I’ve just started the new eduard one, not sure that was a good idea! Anyway, that looks spot on 👍

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jonf45 said:

.......How did you do with the troublesome cockpit colour?.......

Thanks.  I used the Vallejo Model Air Cockpit Emerald Green “Faded” 71331 for the cockpit interior.  It was not an exact match for the PE but it was close enough.  Good luck with the Eduard kit, it can't be as bad as the Revell Inc kit.

Graeme

No 8 squadron the Pursoot. We did operate PF but the kit rendition is more of Type 77 FL and during the 1971 war most of the Migs were silver and not grey also with Brown, Green Distemper applied as Camo on top at the unit level.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tomthounaojam said:

No 8 squadron the Pursoot. We did operate PF but the kit rendition is more of Type 77 FL and during the 1971 war most of the Migs were silver and not grey also with Brown, Green Distemper applied as Camo on top at the unit level.

Thanks.   I understand that the Type 77 FL was a downgraded export version of the Type 76 PF, so essentially similar in structure but with the wide chord fin.  All the images found on the internet were of the FL variant and I did note that there were many variations of the camo schemes in operation, presumably from the unit level application.  Eventually I decided to just follow the paint scheme in the Revell Inc instructions while fully aware that they were probably not fully accurate.