Airfix 1/72 Lightning F2.

Afternoon folk's,built for the year I was born GB as the lightning entered squadron service in 1960.I've always loved the Lightning but not

silver finishes so this late scheme really appealed as I built the F6 in the Sharkmouth GB,thanks for looking in.

20191009_120114

20191009_120046

20191009_120100

20191009_120023

20191009_120015

20191009_120007

20191009_115927

20191009_115915

IMG-20191009-WA0000

• Like 71

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I've always loved the Lightning but not silver finishes so this late scheme really appealed

Beautiful.  Like you I have always liked the Lightning, since seeing them in the 'At Home' displays in the early 70's.  I've steered clear of building one because the silver finish looks too hard for me to make a decent effort at.  These examples give me the incentive to have a go.  Thanks for sharing.

Graeme

• Like 1

Great build, very clean and crisp. Looks even better with the grey one too :clap2:

Edited by jonf45
  • Like 1

I recall seeing one in a hangar at Warton and noting that the green was distinctly brighter and "grassier" that RAF Dark Green, but reputable sources declare that's what it was,  Perhaps this opinion was partially influenced by the very dark Dark Green being used on RAF Jaguars at this time, but I suspect this was actually due to some weathering.  Sorry, I don't recall seeing signs of wear and tear.  Certainly I saw that other RAF Dark Greens in this period weathered to a lighter "grassier" green whereas those from an earlier period faded brown.  As anyone wandering around open-air museums such as Newark in the late 80s/early 90s will have noted.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I recall seeing one in a hangar at Warton and noting that the green was distinctly brighter and "grassier" that RAF Dark Green, but reputable sources declare that's what it was,  Perhaps this opinion was partially influenced by the very dark Dark Green being used on RAF Jaguars at this time, but I suspect this was actually due to some weathering.  Sorry, I don't recall seeing signs of wear and tear.  Certainly I saw that other RAF Dark Greens in this period weathered to a lighter "grassier" green whereas those from an earlier period faded brown.  As anyone wandering around open-air museums such as Newark in the late 80s/early 90s will have noted.

I commented on this a while ago but can't find it!

The general consensus  was that the RAFG F.2As were painted in a non-standard shade - despite Dick Ward (Modeldecal) advising Dark Green on his sheets. I even heard Bronze Green being mentioned; whichever, the Lightning green always looked different to the usual. A couple of years ago I did a little experiment and made and painted an Airfix F.2 and a Fujimi Phantom FGR.2 alongside each other, using a brand new tin of Humbrol Dark Green. Sitting the 2 together the green still looks totally different on each so I can only surmise it's how the light falls on the slabbier Lightning which give the variation. That said undercoat and the pressure used in the spray gun (1:1 scale) also has an impact.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 12:57 PM, Robert said:

Nicely done just need a two seater.

Regards

Robert

An early Aifix F-1A and T4/5 two-seater resin conversion set + Aeroclub accessories currently on E. Bay .

Edited by AMB
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Lovely job, Steve! :clap: :clap: What would be your rating for this kit?

I must try and build one of 'em Brit jets sooner or later .... :D 

Ciao

Thanks Giemme,Flawless fit only one area needed care,the trunking under the cockpit  needed a bit shaving for a good forward fuselage

join on both builds.

• Like 1