220 Sqn. Hudson Mk.V colours and markings, late 1941

Vingtor

I have got a request from a Norwegian aircraft museum (Sola, Stavanger) about colours and markings for 220 Squadron Hudsons, autumn and winter 1941. I do not have much information on this myself, thus I will ask the expertise on this forum.

Would they have been repainted from Temperate Land Scheme to Temperate Sea Scheme? Are there any photos available? Or profile drawings?

Any comments will be of value.

Nils

At this time, the squadron was located at Wick, and operated in the anti-shipping role flying strikes against Norwegian coastal traffic

Nils

July 1941 CC starter to convert from TLS to TSS, order issued for flying boats to change to EDSG/DSG over Sky , in Aug 41 the order went CC wide to all aircraft to be in the TSS scheme of EDSG/DSG over Sky or Black for land based attack and Light bombers, Patrol aircraft, Liberator, Whitley, Wellington to have white under sides and fuselage sides, Flying boats also converted to the white underside and fuselage sides.

So for that time frame , the Hudson should have TSS upper scheme but depending if they were also doing a bit of land/night bombing either Black or day coastal ops Sky undersurface .

There are a couple of nice colour photo's of a 48 Sqn Hudson V based at Wick in TSS/Sky scheme on the IWM site. 

Edited by Sydhuey
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyot said:

As said above,.... it would most likely be TSS with Sky undersides. They would have looked like this;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._48_Squadron_RAF#/media/File:Hudson_V_48_Sqn_RAF_in_flight_1942.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Wow! never seen that photo before! Methinks I have just changed my preferred Hudson scheme. (I'd paint my car in TSS if the War Department would let me!)

Mike

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Vingtor said:

The 48 Sqn Hudson on the IWM colour photos have rather "medium" grey, I think. Too light for EDSG.....?

Nils

Hi Nils. It would probably faded EDSG. It is now rather notorious for the speed at which it faded.

6 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Nils. It would probably faded EDSG. It is now rather notorious for the speed at which it faded.

I thought something like this, rather than any lighter colour.

NIls