Thunderbolt question

Ranger626

Can anyone tell me if the P-47D-25 has a  panel line on the upper rear fuselage from the canopy to the tail fin?  Or is the upper rear fuselage covered with a single piece molding?     I've checked several sets of plans and many photos, and cannot find a solid answer.    Thanks for any help.

Ranger,

Maru Mechanic No. 41 has drawings of the major structures of each section of the razorback and bubbletop P-47's. According to the drawings on page 19, the upper fuselage is built as one section, from the firewall to just aft of the intercoolers, and is then joined to the lower fuselage. This upper section appears to be complete with the skin, and in the plan view drawing on page 42, there is no panel line down the center, but a curved rectangular skin panel runs from the rear cockpit bulkhead to the transport joint along the centerline at the top, if that makes sense.  Bottom line, there is no panel line that runs along the centerline of the upper fuselage, I have attached a link to a razorback Jug being restored by the Dakota Territory Air Museum that shows how the fuselage is constructed. Hope this helps.

Mike 

http://warbirdsnews.com/aircraft-restoration/dakota-territory-air-museums-p-47-update-april-2019.html

• Like 1

Hello,

Not very visible on photos, but there is indeed a panel line.

Here on the restored P-47 Dottie Mae

oC0RUVn.jpg

screen capture from this nice video

and from a wartime picture, 86th Fighter Group

uYWXZcH.jpg

of course, you have the shadow of the antenna wire, but you can see a second line, which is a skin seam.

Laurent

My Gawd- what a gorgeous Jug! I had not seen the video before, just the restoration photos. and the story about how she was lost. 'Preciate your sharing it. She has to be the shiniest, cleanest P-47D in existence! :clap2:Thanks, Laurent!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling