British Army M3 Lee, C Sqn, 150th (Yorks & Lancs) Regt. RAC, 254th Indian Tank Brigade, Burma 1944-45

Hiya Folks,

My Grandad served in Burma and I have always had a soft spot for this theatre,...... I have wanted to model an M3 Lee which took part in the fighting and here is my effort,....using the 1/35th Academy kit,...... with a few additions and with decals from Echelon sheet ALT352006. 

1-DSCF6840-NEW.jpg

2-DSCF6835-NEW.jpg

4-DSCF6836-NEW.jpg

3-DSCF6834-NEW.jpg

6-DSCF6839-NEW.jpg

4-DSCF6836-NEW.jpg

5-DSCF6833-NEW.jpg

7-DSCF6841-NEW.jpg

8-DSCF6842-NEW.jpg

5-DSCF6838-NEW.jpg

I`m not an armour modeller really,..... I just like to build British subjects as a change from aeroplanes!! I added some Valentine tracks to the front as per many tanks from the unit and having left the turret cupola off, I made some hatches from plastic card, along with additional armour plates below the side doors, 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 34

13 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

That's a cracker. Nice to see a British Lee for a change.

John.

Cheers John,..... glad you like it mate,...... yeah they seem to be the Forgotten Tanks from the Forgotten Army don`t they?

All the best and Certa Cito

Tony

• Like 2

Great job on the Lee. Got one in the stash and am planning on doing similar finish. My granddad was in the Cat & Cabbage (York & Lancs) but he got nabbed by the Germans in North Africa and had a real hard time as a POW. He said that if he hadn't got captured he too would have ended up in Burma against the Japanese at some point! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

2 hours ago, invidia said:

Fantastic looking model.  My grandfather drove M3s in Burma, I think with the Warwickshire regiment. I know he was at the battle of admin box. 

Cheers mate and massive respect to your Grandad. 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

Great job on the Lee. Got one in the stash and am planning on doing similar finish. My granddad was in the Cat & Cabbage (York & Lancs) but he got nabbed by the Germans in North Africa and had a real hard time as a POW. He said that if he hadn't got captured he too would have ended up in Burma against the Japanese at some point! 

Regards,

Steve

Cheers Steve,..... respect to your Grandad,.... my wife`s Grandad was a pre war regular with the Buff`s,.... he served in Palestine, NW Frontier and Burma before the war,.... went to N.Africa to fight the Italians, then Germans,..... then returned to India in 43/44 to fight the Jap`s too,...... those men were a breed apart,.... the Golden Generation. My Grandad was a Chindit,... when he could have been sitting the war out in neutral Eire,..... where he was treated like a 2nd class citizen upon return home!

All the best

Tony 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Steve27752 said:

Very nice, what is holding on all the items that are stacked on the rear deck? 

Cheers,...... the string which I forgot to add!! I knew I`d forgotten something,...it was supposed to go through the jerrycan handles...... lets just say that we are just waiting for the crew to come and tie the load down!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great M3, didn't even know we used the Lee, always assumed we just had the Grant, and never seen a Lee without the upper cupola. Learn something new ever day!👍

Super model too, nicely weathered. 

Cheers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Great M3, didn't even know we used the Lee, always assumed we just had the Grant, and never seen a Lee without the upper cupola. Learn something new ever day!👍

Cheers

How about an 8th army lee in desert scheme?

Desert Lee and Grant together

Selwyn

20 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers,...... the string which I forgot to add!! I knew I`d forgotten something,...it was supposed to go through the jerrycan handles...... lets just say that we are just waiting for the crew to come and tie the load down!!

I knew that you knew;-)

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

You can build ANYTHING well Tony.  Fantastic job, and I had no idea these were used in the CBI theatre.

Bruce

Cheers Bruce,...... yeah after the desert war finished we sent the Grants and Lees to India for use in India and also to Australia for the Aussie Army to use too.... waste not want not mate!!

Edited by tonyot

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Cheers

Thanks Jasper,...... yeah we used the Lee with and without the cupola,....... glad you like it mate.

Cheers

Tony

4 hours ago, Selwyn said:

How about an 8th army lee in desert scheme?

Desert Lee and Grant together

Selwyn

Funny you should say that,....... guess what is next on my list of WW2 British Army tanks!!  

1 hour ago, franky boy said:

Nice work Tony.

Pretty good for an occasional armour modeller if you ask me.

James

Thanks James,....... that`s very nice of you to say so,

Cheers

Tony

1 hour ago, Steve27752 said:

I knew that you knew;-)

LOL,.... I even forgot to add the towing cable which I had so lovingly painted and shaped,........ found it in the box!!

Nice subject, and a nice tribute to your relative. I really like the figure in the dome, and the tracks on the front along with the equipment behind, it gives a nice touch of reality. A bit clean for my liking, but it is not critical at all.
It would look great on a small basis to use.
Cheers mate. 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FrancisGL said:

Nice subject, and a nice tribute to your relative. I really like the figure in the dome, and the tracks on the front along with the equipment behind, it gives a nice touch of reality. A bit clean for my liking, but it is not critical at all.
It would look great on a small basis to use.
Cheers mate. 👍

Thanks Francis,...... I did cover it in dust using MiG pigment powders but then looking at photos of the real thing they tended to be cleaner due to the constant rain,..... so I cleaned a lot of it off with a sponge to try to get this effect,....... but thanks for your honest opinion,.... I really do appreciate it as tanks are a side line for me. I`m toying with adding a bit more dust, more matt varnish and mud on the tracks,..... but I`m worried I`ll over do it! The figure is a Tamiya Russian tank crewman with a resin British head. 

All the best

Tony  

Nice model and a good choice of subject.  My grandfather was in the York and Lancs, too, but in the First World War, 14th and 6th Battalions, and my service in the TA was in the vestigial remnants of the regiment, the Hallamshires.  Nice to see the regiment shown in such an unusual way.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Hi Tony,

Yep, that's a very nice looking Lee. I won't point out the 'faults' that everyone else have mentioned, but I will say that AFVs with this particular chassis really do look so much better with metal tracks such as 'Friuls' Of course, they are expensive, and probably not for the 'new' or 'occasional' AFV builder, but they are worth thinking about if you get addicted to them in the future. My last three models are fitted with Friul's, one being a Nashorn with the superb extra wide 'winteretten' tracks and I cannot imagine now making an AFV with the old rubber bands (assuming that the metal ones are available, of course)

Rearguards,

Badder

14 hours ago, 593jones said:

Nice model and a good choice of subject.  My grandfather was in the York and Lancs, too, but in the First World War, 14th and 6th Battalions, and my service in the TA was in the vestigial remnants of the regiment, the Hallamshires.  Nice to see the regiment shown in such an unusual way.  :thumbsup:

Thanks mate,..... I never realised that the Hallamshires was a descendent of the York & Lancs,..... you learn something new every day! Yeah quite a few old infantry regiments had battalions converted to the armoured role and given RAC numbers.

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 1

Very nice and nice to see late version :clap:

These did very well in the pacific theatre and served from their introduction until the end of the war, my Grandfather also served in the Burma campaign.  Unfortunately he was a guest of the Japanese for a while, sadly he's no long with us.     

• Like 1