A bit of help for a non-Techie

RidgeRunner

Hi all, 

Right up front - I'm not a technical chap and I really dont understand how the airbrush works in detail. I just know how it works to the degree that I need to know. So, now I think I have an issue with it. I have a simple Badger 200. On the trigger "column" (for want of a better word) there is a small hole. My question: my airbrush - been excellent for 5+ years - has started splattering out bubbles of paint through this hole. Why? Has a seal gone somewhere? Is there such a thing?

All guidance, thoughts etc appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Martin

There's a teflon seal/needle bearing in the body, where the needle fits through and I believe a rubber seal on the trigger assembly. It could spit if the rubber seal has gone. The rubber seal you can change yourself. There used to be a lifetime warranty on the teflon seal and you send it away to Badger to get that changed..

Thanks Steve. I will look in to that. I guess tha would explain some paint ingress back up the needle? Probably - to me - that indicates the Teflon seal hs failed? Maybe I'm heavy handed with my cleaning?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks Steve. I will look in to that. I guess tha would explain some paint ingress back up the needle? Probably - to me - that indicates the Teflon seal hs failed? Maybe I'm heavy handed with my cleaning?

Martin

It's a problem I had with mine quite a bit. I had two seals in as many years..

On 10/9/2019 at 10:51 AM, RidgeRunner said:

maybe time for a new Airbrush!!

Hold your horses there!

A Teflon needle bearing will set you back £3-90 from Barwells.

https://barwellbodyworks-shop.com/gb/105-patriot/657-50-046-needle-bearing.html

I’ve got a Badger 200 that’s well over 20 years old, admittedly it’s a bit like ‘Trigger’s broom’, but it still serves me well.

Mart

I’ve done it with the blunt end of a drill bit (1.5mm?) to push out the old one and a cocktail stick to push in the new one.

There’s probably a ‘how-to’ online somewhere, or better still, here’s a post from on here:

Mart

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

@LotusArenco @Steve Noble @Terry1954 @Courageous et al.......

and anyone else who can help.

Further to the earlier posts I took the bull by the horns and bought a new Badger 200. It is a 200NH. I went that way because I now the airbrush through my easrlier one, which is now undergoing a teflon seal change. My question/appeal for help: I used it yesterday for the first time and, as far as I could see, it was fine. I took her out for anothe play today and disaster! The symptoms are that with the forward-most needle cap fitted all it will do is blow bubbles back up through the paint cup. If I remove it, things appear okay and she sprays.  I have cleaned her thoroughly but nothing seems to work :(. 

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Martin

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Try this Martin:

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. I've posted on that thread now. I'm stumped. The airbrush is new and while not the most sophisticated it should be simple. I;m really at a loss to see what it is........ :(

Martin

Hi Stuart @Courageous

I've given her a good clean and tightened the screw joint between the body and the paint head. It seems to now work. A slight helping hand with a small set of pliers and bingo! There must have either been a speck of muck in there or the seal wasn't quite right. Thanks for your post :)

M 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi all!

@LotusArenco @Steve Noble @Terry1954 @Courageous et al.......

and anyone else who can help.

Further to the earlier posts I took the bull by the horns and bought a new Badger 200. It is a 200NH. I went that way because I now the airbrush through my easrlier one, which is now undergoing a teflon seal change. My question/appeal for help: I used it yesterday for the first time and, as far as I could see, it was fine. I took her out for anothe play today and disaster! The symptoms are that with the forward-most needle cap fitted all it will do is blow bubbles back up through the paint cup. If I remove it, things appear okay and she sprays.  I have cleaned her thoroughly but nothing seems to work :(. 

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Martin

Sorry Martin, don't know anything about this particular airbrush so can't offer any advise. Stuart's link should help hopefully.

Terry

• Thanks 1