Spitfire F24, VN489/A-W2, No. 80 Sqn, RAF Wünstorf, Germany, 1948

Well this was a really nice kit to build, very good fit with almost no filler required. This is straight oob, nothing added apart from the masking tape seatbelts, but it didn't really need anything else. I bought the kit last year at the Shuttleworth airshow; it's second hand so one of the rockets was incomplete, hence two on one side and one on the other!

I made VN489 as she would have appeared while serving as part of the BAFO in Germany in the late 40s, before the unit moved to Kai Tak, HK in late 1949 and subsequently gaining black & white wing stripes. I prefer these earlier, more understated markings. No 80 squadron's Spitfires were replaced by DH Hornets in 1951.

Colours are as per instructions; DSG, dark green (Tamiya AS-30) and medium sea grey undersides, all from spray cans.

Any thoughts and useful criticisms welcomed ...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 21

Looks good. I would recommend a glossier finish before the decals go on to reduce the silvering and a little more time spent on the seams. Grey primer is a good choice to highlight areas that need attention.

• Thanks 1

That's a good looking Spitfire! One of the more attractive of the breed IMHO.

3 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

Grey primer is a good choice to highlight areas that need attention.

I use a black marker and just highlight the seam I'm working on. Don't know how it might react to some paints so I sand it off, but it will show a wonky seam as good as primer without having to tackle with a spray can or airbrush. A paint pen could work to.

• Thanks 2

Nice Spitfire 24, Congrats !

Mine is on her way to became  Kai Tak based Spitfire at the btime of the Korean war !

But I have had a great deal of putty and sanding on mine 

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...