Mach 2 Telford release: 1/72 VC-10

Procopius

I have my one, only recently arrived, its the camouflaged version, I haven't had a chance to have a proper look at it yet but I when I do, I will be making some upgrades to it, I would imagine most modellers will be building it straight out of the box. I won't have any trouble making a replacement nose right back past the front doors and transparency, possibly a vertical tail and a wing root correction. One thing is certain people are buying these kits even though it hasn't been properly released until may be the new year, so there is a huge market for this VC10, which is good news. 

Alan

• Like 2

For anyone interested, just a bit more detail on the nose debacle. For better or worse I have acquired one, and had a look last night:

2019-11-27_07-56-52

It's not so much the glazing that is at fault as everything forward and beneath... Very roughly (sorry did this on my phone), the difference is:

2019-11-27_07-56-38

With that sharply ascending chin, the model looks more Tristar than Nimrod, and it should be the other way round...

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 11/27/2019 at 3:13 AM, Bangseat said:

It's not so much the glazing that is at fault as everything forward and beneath... Very roughly (sorry did this on my phone), the difference is:

The windshield is too vertical by about 10 degrees.

On 11/27/2019 at 8:13 AM, Bangseat said:

For anyone interested, just a bit more detail on the nose debacle. For better or worse I have acquired one, and had a look last night:

2019-11-27_07-56-52

Either that drawing is distorted in your image, or it's as woeful as the kits nose.

49143381833_04eb94c99a_b.jpg

VC-10 C.1K XR808 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I think the drawing is more off shape than the kit.  Before making my original assessment, I enlarged a side view of the nose of XV107 to match the fuselage depth of the kit and held the kit against the screen.  The lower profile is good but the upper line becomes too low at the base of the screen which only emphasises the ugly step. 

The giveaway on the drawing is that the tip of the nose is below floor level, not in line as per the image.

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:13 AM, Bangseat said:

model looks

Like an Illuyshin IL18 and IL62 , that's what it looks like .

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:24 PM, 71chally said:

For anyone interested

Class

Just seen a Mach K2 kit for sale on ebay . The box pic . Gone is C. K1 XV107 and enter ZA141 in Camo on the box .. Somebody has been looking at the modelling sites …… In the box ..still has C.K1 XV107's wings  .

Its at 62 quid ,2 bids so far , search ebay

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:25 PM, ho590hm said:

the tip of the nose is below floor level, not in line as per the image

The floor level is the bottom  of that Forward PAX door . The nose tip , the Radome lightning conductor (spike) is lower than floor level/ door bottom , the drg looks okay . Think the nose light centre is alright but been drawn too small . The other two circles , really grills for the dump valves are too high and mess your eyes up , did you flip the drg to give same direction of the model photo ? The 2 Dump Valves are left side only .

Still an Illyushin in Poly

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bzn20 said:

did you flip the drg to give same direction of the model photo ? 

Yes, I did. It isn't a great drawing from the looks of it anyway, and @71chally's photo is much more useful as a reference. 

For another comparison attempt, how about this:

2019-12-31_02-39-02

So the nose is lower, but not by as much as I anticipated. The windshield to tip line is of course almost completely flush, and there is a steeper descending line towards the rear of the windshield. 

Possibilities I am mulling over:

I) Sawing off the front 70-80mm of the model, and reattaching with shims to make it point down by 1-2 degrees. Create a different profile and vacform a new canopy over it and possibly reprofile the tip of the nose.

II) Build a Tamiya kit...

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Bangseat said:

Possibilities I am mulling over

Seems to me a lot of work for a kit costing a lot of money, your solution sounds like a perfect recipe for eventually ending up on the shelf of doom, but I hope that I am wrong 

8 hours ago, Bangseat said:

Possibilities I am mulling over

From here , it looks like a nightmare . Great bit of merging images there

Edited by bzn20

I've got the best scale drawing of a VC10 C.Mk 1 . If anybody wants a copy ,I'll email it , zooms up quite well .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spitfire madman said:

Yes Please 👍

No problem please send your email address via pm

• Like 1

Apparently a revised part has been produced.

Just had an email exchange with Didier, and a revised canopy is on its way to me.

Contact details over on airlinercafe.com.

I await with interest and will report accordingly after recovering the model from the stash.

Howard

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ho590hm said:

Apparently a revised part has been produced.

Just had an email exchange with Didier, and a revised canopy is on its way to me.

Contact details over on airlinercafe.com.

I await with interest and will report accordingly after recovering the model from the stash.

Howard

Do you know if this will be available to those who have the kit free of charge or a small fee ie postage 👌