Mach 2 Telford release: 1/72 VC-10

Procopius

Alan, as I said to you at the show, you'll manage to get the ten you require to make production worthwhile. As Kev pointed out, with a bit of tweaking you'll have a real winner on your hands. As for sales, I'd definitely purchase one as would my pal (Viggen) Jan plus Kev P, John Cotterill, Glenn, Tom P, Woody and several others I spoke to about it (in fact, I'm sure if you asked, John would sort out the decals for you). Great to hear you'll consider moving forward with the project, the best of British to you.

As for the Mach 2 kit, I feel it falls short for the price and there are certainly a fair few shape issues to deal with. Good luck to Didier, I saw quite a few folks wondering around with one clutched under their arm...wonder how many will actually get built. 

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

I don't think 10 orders will materialise but I have enough interest below the 10 orders to move forward and carry out some modifications, readjustments and research and that means another visit to see a C.MK.1 and then finalise production plans. I myself love this elegant aircraft and I have done it justice in most respects, its not perfect but judging by what BMs have said, I will start work on modifications to bring it up to standard. I was quite prepared to buy the other Ten at Telford and now having seen it in detail, there is simply too much work to do, I am not a modeller and don't have the skills to correct the French kit; I have seen the faults and they are worse than I thought. If anybody thinks they can easily correct this kit, they are in for a shock.

Alan

Alan

Please count me in for one of your VC-10s.

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

Alan, as I said to you at the show, you'll manage to get the ten you require to make production worthwhile. As Kev pointed out, with a bit of tweaking you'll have a real winner on your hands. As for sales, I'd definitely purchase one as would my pal (Viggen) Jan plus Kev P, John Cotterill, Glenn, Tom P, Woody and several others I spoke to about it (in fact, I'm sure if you asked, John would sort out the decals for you). Great to hear you'll consider moving forward with the project, the best of British to you.

As for the Mach 2 kit, I feel it falls short for the price and there are certainly a fair few shape issues to deal with. Good luck to Didier, I saw quite a few folks wondering around with one clutched under their arm...wonder how many will actually get built. 

General,

I have taken on board all the comments and was always aware of the deficiencies of my Ten and now I can see real momentum to get things moving and I am here to serve those modellers who put their heart and passion into this wonderful hobby. It will take some months to execute the plan of attack but together we can move forward.

Alan

32 minutes ago, Edge said:

Alan

Please count me in for one of your VC-10s.

Thanks for your support Edge and I will add you to the list.

Alan

• Like 4

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:11 PM, bzn20 said:

BM walkround go  to #2 BA Standard VC10 RVM at Cosford and go down 'til you have a view down the leading edge from the tip

There is a similar view of the Sultan's Standard VC10 at Brooklands higher up that page , post #1 . Do not take any notice of that wing tip  . Only on BUA's original order so BCAL/RAe Bedford/Air Malawi , Sultans too , Ghana A/W and MEA .

I can send a stack of photos to you via email . Anything you want , just pm me with your email address  . Same for anyone else .

My model I built was based on that aircraft, spent hours and hours looking at it and taking photos, I am no professional modeller, but even I tried to correct the Vacform Airways kit into something a bit more accurate to the eye, I only wish Didier would of asked people who were in the know as like yourself for information, after all he is asking people for £80 for his rendition on the most gorgeous civil/military plane that graced our skies, and he has done it no justice.  Airfix have a policy of asking the experts before they bring out a kit, such as there new Vulcan. To be honest I am disappointed but hey hoy its a Mach pooh kit as they say, if people want to spend their money that is fine, but how many Mach 2 kits do you really see at shows, I saw one Argosy at Telford which looked very good to be honest, but most will spend there days sitting in the loft gathering dust, or half built never to see the finish line. or even dumped in the bin

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

General,

I have taken on board all the comments and was always aware of the deficiencies of my Ten and now I can see real momentum to get things moving and I am here to serve those modellers who put their heart and passion into this wonderful hobby. It will take some months to execute the plan of attack but together we can move forward.

Alan

Thanks for your support Edge and I will add you to the list.

Alan

Alan

I’d be interested in one of your kits too, but only if it’s K2, K3 or K4, never flew the C1(K) so not really interested in that variant.

Knowing Didier, I would say yes. When he offers options, all the parts are on the sprue, he just cuts off the non appropriate ones. Saw him do this on the Argosy with the rear doors. I think by the end of the day at Telford, he sent the kits out with eveything. Only the decals changed.

I was very tempted to purchase the Mach 2 kit but resisted due to the fact that I had insufficient time to inspect it and then discuss its merits (or otherwise) with some of my colleagues. On the other hand, one of my fellow SIG members purchased the Icelandic Fine Art 1:32 scale Buccaneer and I was mightily impressed with the engineering so I would be very interested in acquiring a 1:72 scale VC-10 in due course. I have to say it would, most likely, have to be the C Mk.1 variant since I have spent 1000's of hours in the back of one of these....and a few in the Tanker variant too. 

So, Alan of Icelandic Fine Art, count me in with your growing list of pre-orders. Hopefully we can generate a lot more so you can keep the unit costs down - I think you would be surprised at the number who would show interest in this kit if developed and engineered correctly (like the Buccaneer).

Good Luck, Mate !

Mark A       

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Homebee said:

It is reported in French forums that facing the critics Mach2 has decided to design a new windscreen part for its VC-10 kit... To be followed.

V.P.

And quite right too. Maybe this time he'll actually have a look at a VC-10.

Jeff

51 minutes ago, Tiger331 said:

I was very tempted to purchase the Mach 2 kit but resisted due to the fact that I had insufficient time to inspect it and then discuss its merits (or otherwise) with some of my colleagues. 

So, Alan of Icelandic Fine Art, count me in with your growing list of pre-o

Mark A       

Honestly, less than a couple of seconds was enough time for me to keep walking. I did go back a couple of times contemplating the F-rsin Guppy but I resisted.

Jeff

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

same generic kit for all 3 boxed versions, apart from the decals?

That's what I think has happened but  hasn't stuck tanking pods , HDU ,underbelly camera and refuel probe on the BOAC "Standard" Ten

One wonders if Didier just sat down there at Telford without realising the consequence of his actions and may be he wasn't aware of what was happening. How does anybody believe they can get away with mass murder on such an important, iconic aircraft as the VC10. He's going to need more than just a nose job; for a start one needs to be able to see out of the transparency, there doesn't seem to be a lot transparency there to me, as I recall. As one modeller pointed out to me and he was a Frenchman at Telford, there is no escaping the windows all being out of alignment; personally I don't see how that particular task is possible, surely nobody is capable of such a task. Then there's the wing aerofoil profile, not bad but not good either. Its seems its just as well French forums sounded out the alarm bells and directed the necessary orders. At Telford, I recall many Europeans were appalled by what they saw, so how does that make Brits feel, its like being rob of a national treasure. Companies in this line of business need to be held accountable for their actions. What if a British company built a model of the Eiffel Tower and it proved to be not straight, there would be a national outrage in France, so come on Mach 2, stop destroying the heritage of a nation and start doing some good.

Alan

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

One wonders if Didier just sat down there at Telford without realising the consequence of his actions and may be he wasn't aware of what was happening. How does anybody believe they can get away with mass murder on such an important, iconic aircraft as the VC10. He's going to need more than just a nose job; for a start one needs to be able to see out of the transparency, there doesn't seem to be a lot transparency there to me, as I recall. As one modeller pointed out to me and he was a Frenchman at Telford, there is no escaping the windows all being out of alignment; personally I don't see how that particular task is possible, surely nobody is capable of such a task. Then there's the wing aerofoil profile, not bad but not good either. Its seems its just as well French forums sounded out the alarm bells and directed the necessary orders. At Telford, I recall many Europeans were appalled by what they saw, so how does that make Brits feel, its like being rob of a national treasure. Companies in this line of business need to be held accountable for their actions. What if a British company built a model of the Eiffel Tower and it proved to be not straight, there would be a national outrage in France, so come on Mach 2, stop destroying the heritage of a nation and start doing some good.

Alan

It’s a bit of a disappointment observing one potential manufacturer having a poke at another especially where you are likely to be in direct competition. No more please.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Hello All,  This is my first post on the forum. I have been modeling on and off for quite some time. I went through the rivet counting stage and that has passed. I do not build much now but back in the early 90's when Airfix released the E-3D/F AWACS kit, I had a feeling that a 1/72 VC-10 would be on the horizon but as you can tell I was wrong and now almost 30 years later one has come out. I am here in the USA and it would probably be a while before I see one of these kits over here but I have started an Airways kit.....lots of work. I have looked at a lot of VC-10 models from resin, vac form , injection molded and even die-cast metal and nothing has conveyed the WOW of the real deal....The VC-10 is really a masterpiece. I am looking for an accurate model of this fine aircraft. I do not wish to invest countless hours to obtain one. Hats off to Kevin for his build of the Airways kit.  I would also be interested in one from Alan at Icelandic Fine Art if it can be shipped overseas.

• Like 1

I think modellers need to know the pit falls of the Mach 2 kit, after all it is £80 and a lot of money to anyone, if a modeller is prepared to buy one and is not bothered about accuracy that is fine, Alan is in no way in competition with Mach2 as he is only probably going to sell a very small amount next year some time, but at least it will be more accurate

• Thanks 1

I hate to be "that guy" and play Devil's advocate here, and I'm not going to defend Didier or Mach 2, but I do want to be a bit more diplomatic.

I adore the VC-10, it's one of my favourite aircraft, and perhaps I have more money than sense and modelling skill but I jumped at the chance to have an injection moulded example in The One True Scale (the Roden 1/144 is exquisite but just doesn't cut it). It would be true to say I'm a little disappointed with the plastic but it's better than all the other 1/72 IM VC-10s (you know, the ones that don't exist). I know it's not a great representation of an iconic aircraft, but I'm grateful that someone has had a go.

I've yet to take the plunge and spend the big money on a resin 1/72 VC-10, mostly because I know it will only be added to the loft insulation, but I think that may be coming soon; I am perhaps naive in hoping that a lot of Mach 2 boxes under peoples' arms at Telford, and a good long term sales result, would inspire another manufacturer to do a better job. The same hasn't been true of the Comet yet, but I am ever the optimist.

Well, I suppose we know we're getting a project when we buy a Mach 2 box, this one's a bigger project than perhaps we hoped before it came out.

If I get the time tonight I'll post some sprue shots, unless someone beats me to it.

• Like 7

Sadly that's not really a valid argument in favour of this effort - shape issues, terrible quality plastic (speaking from previous experience of Mach2 and F-rsin, both from the same mould maker) and no regard to version specific details all mean that for me, no matter if it's the only 1/72 kit out there, I wouldn't buy it. I could put a couple of wing shapes on a house brick and sell it as a 1/72 VC-10, but like this kit it's not! Misplaced panel lines and the odd seam to fill I can cope with but basic outline issues are unacceptable to me.

Jeff

• Like 1

To all VC10 followers, whilst this particular thread is about the Mach 2 VC10, I will abide by forum rules and not discussed any of Icelandic Fine Art business here. There is another 1/72  VC10 C.MK.1 RAF thread, please use this thread to discuss the 1/72 VC10 and Super VC10 on that thread. 

Alan

• Like 3

On 11/14/2019 at 2:30 PM, Homebee said:

It is reported in French forums that facing the critics Mach2 has decided to design a new windscreen part for its VC-10 kit... To be followed.

V.P.

Oh.........for a minute there I was filled with hope that Mach 2 had faced their critics, pulled the kit and decided to design a complete aircraft model that actually resembled a VC-10. 

• Like 1

There is one thing that is certain, it seems that the Mach 2 VC10 is selling fast and there are no signs that those sales will decline any time soon. It seems Mach 2 are onto a winner, most sales outlets are already running low on stock. Conclusion: Mach 2 must be planning their next big launch for Telford 2020. I think I am in the wrong business. 

Alan

It seems to me there are a few lessons here.

1. If you want to sell, you have to bring the product to the market     (pretty basic business rule)

2. Those of us who care about accuracy of shape are in a minority     (hardly news)

3. Even modellers do not pay attention to the quality of previous releases from companies    (or live forever in hope...sad but true

4. Complaining will bring some results, sometimes.   (Certainly more often than keeping quite about problems)

5. Extravagant over-puffing of certain minority types is endemic   (If I like a subject, it must be incredibly popular and will sell gazillions making a fortune for the manufacturer)

• Like 5

I have been looking at the plastic relative to images and some of the original drawings.  Still need to pull out the actual GA of the windscreen, but working on it.  The maintenance manuals and Illustrated Parts Catalogue do not provide enough help.

The fuselage, fin and wing profiles are not bad, subject to my comments above.  Viewed in isolation the angle between the front windshield and the profile of the canopy is good, but bears little relationship to the side windows, hence my comment about rotation the canopy backwards, and the width of that central panel throws the shape out further.  The upper line of the nose is also a bit flat below the front screen.  

But as I discussed with colleagues at IPMS Farnborough, we are modellers......

The C. Mk. 1 (K) boxing is the closest to an IM VC10 to date, and I will try and get hold of some decent drawings for the cockpit glazing around which the rest will fall into place - possibly with the application of some Milliput.

Howard.